It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2006, 09:44 AM   #1
(female)

CrazyDogLady HB User
Different Types of MS? Heredity?

Hey everyone, thanks for your replies on my previous post. I've not been able to post, because of technical difficulties. My sister was in the hospital for 5 days. They did the i.v. steroids, they did the lumbar puncture, they did an MRI and they did a CAT scan of her whole body. They found lesions on her brain, as well as on her spine and in her legs. She still doesn't have her vision 100%. They said they're trying to find out which kind of MS she has; I guess there's three kinds... primary, releapse, and one other one I can't remember. But one of them puts you in a wheelchair within 5 years? Does anyone know anything about any of this?
SO, not only all that is going on, but my mom called my and told me one of my cousins was just diagnosed. So that makes a second cousin, a first cousin, an aunt and a sister. And this is on both my mom's paternal AND maternal side.... I've had weird symptoms, but then again, I have several health problems that could account for some of them.... I'm trying to figure out if I should be nervous. I've heard MS isn't hereditary, but..... anyone have any thoughts on that? Does anyone else have a family with a ton of MS in it?
Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2006, 11:22 AM   #2
(female)

lgrot HB User
Re: Different Types of MS? Heredity?

My aunt and uncle (on my mom's side) both had M.S.
Now my brother and I have it.
It definitely can run in families.
Best wishes.
lg

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2006, 09:03 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine149 HB User

I have a huge family (over 100 cousins and over 20 aunts and uncles) and only 1 distant cousin with MS. it's a weird disease with no clear-cut etimology.

Old 07-30-2006, 10:47 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

LaLady HB User

So true, Some families are full of MS and some have only one. I have a distant cousin with it, that's it. They call it familial, not hereditary.

Old 07-30-2006, 01:44 PM   #5

FeistyOldBroad HB User

I'm the only one in my family that has it. I have an older sister that has Lupus though.
My 12 yr old daughter asked me last week if MS is contagious. sigh.

Old 07-30-2006, 09:08 PM   #6
(female)

CindiH HB User

My father had multiple sclerosis...his first cousin has it...my brother is being tested for it ..and I have had it for 27 yrs...
My neurologist calls it a susceptibility...
seems families can really be susceptible

Last edited by CindiH; 07-30-2006 at 09:10 PM.

Old 08-01-2006, 08:12 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Natatude HB User

i was diagnosed on 9/11 ,, i have 2 cousins with it as well,, 1 he actually had surgery on his brain and they removed the lesions somehow is my understanding listening to family,, he didn;t have any symptoms for about 6 yrs and now he is having them again, my brother is also being tested,, but he stopped when they wanted him to have the MRI he never went back and that was last september, i keep telling him to get it done and he argues,, he said he couldn;t handle it as well as i do, he isn;t strong like me,, i wanna smack him! but i remind him on a weekly basis to get it done,, he keeps saying i don;t have it,, i said then prove me wrong! take the damn MRI and prove me wrong then! but he won't,,, so how do u make someone get tested,, i have done everything but make the appt for him and take him! and his wife ,, u would think she would make him go, but she doesn't,, i wanna smack her too lol

Old 08-03-2006, 09:08 PM   #8
(female)

CindiH HB User

I really can relate to how he feels though!!! I started symtoms in '78 when my first baby was about 6 months old...family was horrified...go get tests ..go get tests...I ignored them..then two years later when son was 5 mths doctor said he was making an appointment at the big hospital for workup for m.s.....no way did I go for them ....back then it was a "terminal" illness...Finally in '92 when I had a 1 1/2 year old I lost the use of one arm and couldn't walk..said enough was enough and got the tests...of course they came back with all the lesions and all the other stuff.....I cried and cried even though I had it and knew it for 14 years I didn't want to admit it even then...you just get so afraid ..even if you have family with it and you see how they are doing...I probly would have given up if it weren't for watching my Dad not give in for all those years....he was finally diagnosed when I was 14....I DID NOT WANT TO GO FOR THOSE TESTS!!!!...It didn't matter that I should do it...I DID NOT WANT TO KNOW....All you can do is try not to worry about him and be there to encourage him when he gets up the nerve to do the testing....It maybe a long time but you can't make him do it and the stress of trying to convince him is not good for him OR YOU!!!!

Closed Thread