It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2006, 10:43 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Blessed4Life HB User
Symtoms Affecting the Face

I have noticed over the past couple of months that I have had in ever increasing amount of twitching, numbness, and loss of control in areas of my face. The symptoms are random but tend to affect the areas around my mounth (including my lips) and my nose the most. My lips have spasms as well as the muscle under my bottom lip just before you reach my chin jerks. I have also had burning in my right check. My left and right eyes have had twitching (both top and bottom lids but never at the same time). My nose symptoms vary as well. I have had moments where my entire nose vibrates constantly or just one nostril. I have also had the novicane feeling inside my mouth along my gums as well as the feeling you get in your gums when the dentist administers novicane. It's like a stinging sensation. All of these symstoms are random and inconsisent. However, since the summer started, I have not gone a day without some form of these symtoms.

Does anyone else suffer from similar symptoms? Have you talked to your dr about it? Are you on any treatment for them? Any feedback is appreciated.

Michelle

Old 08-01-2006, 11:11 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

duttin HB Userduttin HB User
Re: Symtoms Affecting the Face

Michelle,

I have numbness around my left eye and occasionally I get little zaps of pain else where on my face.I discussed this with my neuro and he wanted to take the wait and see approach,I see him next week and gonna ask.

Toni

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2006, 11:28 AM   #3
(female)

Tasia9 HB User

Hi Michelle,
I too have had periods of numbness on my right cheek bone, and twitching in my eyes (not at the same time) Also, I have had burning sensations on my face, like I am having an allergic reaction to something-only I am not. My nerologist has a "wait and see" attitude as well....so hang in there, I know how uncomfortable this is.
Take care
Tasia W

Old 08-01-2006, 12:37 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Blessed4Life HB User

Thanks, Ladies.

I guess we are all in the "wait and see" boat together. I just went out and bought a small notebook that fits in my purse to journal my symptoms. I plan to make an appointment in about 15-30 days. Perhaps, I'll get some real help this time. Take Care

Michelle

Old 08-01-2006, 08:27 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Michelle;

I am beginning to beleive the nerve dis function of the face is do to my MS.I have some slight disk problems in my neck,my neurosurgeon explained that the upper spine will not cause these symptoms ,the facial numbness and nerve irritation is coming from the cranial nerves.I was impatient and thought I would send this info your way.Neurosurgeon did state he could prescribe valium to releive it when its at its worst,I declined.Somedays I think they have me sedated to much.

Toni

Old 08-02-2006, 05:48 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Blessed4Life HB User

Toni,

I'm really committed to journaling my symptoms. I want to go in armed with concrete documentation of them. Perhaps I'll get a real MRI including my spine. I have wondered if it could be something else but what else could it be that is affecting every area of my body and is so consistent with the symptoms of MS?

Michelle

Old 08-02-2006, 05:55 AM   #7
(female)

AllyG HB User

I also get similar symptoms. Especially if I'm tired or feeling a bit under the weather. My speech can seem quite slurred at times - makes me sound a bit drunk!!! Not good in an accounts office! My neuro doesnt seem to think its too big a deal as it is fairly infrequent. Hopefully it stays that way. Funnily enough my 1st sign anything was really wrong (before I was diagnosed) was paralysis on the left side of my face which went on for weeks.

Seems to be a fairly common thing with us all but isnt taken too seriously.

Old 08-02-2006, 11:31 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Blessed4Life HB User

Ally,

One of my major episodes was numbness of my face that started with my chin while I was at work and by the time I headed to the ER (around 11pm) my entire left side of my head was numb as well my my left shoulder. Even my eardrum felt numb. Guess what they said..."we don't know...go back to your primary". That's what I got after spending all night in the ER. I was allowed to just walk out of the hospital. I guess they didn't think it was a big deal. I was so uterally disgusted. When I got home, my toes "danced" for the first time. I couldn't get them to stop..even during my sleep they just wiggled back and forth. I didn't call the dr or go back to the ER since they weren't going to take me seriously anyway.

Michelle

Old 08-02-2006, 11:42 PM   #9
(female)

HurtinHouston HB User

Hi, Michelle!

I just popped in to check on you and see how you're doing. I have the eye twitches and numbness, but am so glad to know now it's my neck. I am praying for you to get an answer soon, too.

God bless you.

Debra

Old 08-03-2006, 04:03 AM   #10
(male)

steerpike HB User

I've had numb gums/teeth/tongue/nose/lips for a while now.... don't know if it's MS yet. It feels like I've been injected with a dental anaesthetic. Occasionally, I also slur my words (mostly due to a numb face, however).

Arg. I especially hate the cognitive/balance related crap.

Old 08-03-2006, 04:35 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Blessed4Life HB User

Thanks steerpike,

I too am undiagnosed, but I have exactly the same feeling...dental anaesthetic. Since yesterday, my liip quivering has increased. I haven't had slurred speach though but I did have an occasion where my top lip kept sliding into my mouth while I was eating and another occasion where I kep chewing my bottom lip while eating. Maybe I should stop eating!

Thanks again!

Michelle

Old 10-31-2006, 01:33 PM   #12
(female)

As4OurHaus HB User

I have been diagnosed with MS, but I was thinking that the numb feelings were related to a tooth problem I was having. After reading these I'm not so sure. I would have described it as the feelings you get when dental anesthesia is almost worn off. I can feel it in my lips, tongue, etc. and even my cheeks. Very weird.

Old 11-02-2006, 03:55 PM   #13
(female)

AlabamaFan HB User

Dear Blessed, I've been "lurking" around this board for a few months but haven't had the courage to reply to anyone. I've seen your name many times and feel as if I know you. (along with several other regulars on this board) I hope this post turns out right because I don't know what I am doing!! lol I, too, have been having some facial numbness for the past few days on my left side. Nothing too bothersome but couldn't figure out if it was dental related. I had the same thing last year before I was diagnosed with MS and wound up having a root canal but it didn't help. Now I'm pretty sure it was MS related and didn't know it. I really enjoy reading all the post and it has helped me tremendously with some of my symptoms. Now that I have registered I hope to post more and get to know some of you better. I'ts hard to explain symptoms to someone who doesn't understand MS.
Thanks a bunch for listening,
Alabama Fan

Old 11-03-2006, 07:25 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

Blessed4Life HB User

Alabama Fan,

Welcome as an official member of the boards! I haven't been on in a while. I had been doing well for a few months with very little symptoms. I have not been diagnosed with MS. I have been to a neuro a couple times. The last time I left in tears because the doctor made me feel like I was crazy. Well, I do back in January (I think). Since September I have had twitching in my bottom lip, aching (like electricity) in my in my left hand and figures, and numbness in hands (especially in my sleep - it wakes me sometimes). I also get this ache in my head. Out of no where I feel like I have been hit with an axe across the right side of my head. I have also noticed that I am not as smart as I used to be. This is hard for someone who at 9 read the encyclopedia for fun while my sisters were watching restling on television. LOL Anyway, I cannot seem to remember words or names. It is so frustrating.

My nose vibrates occasionally but overall I have been feeling much better. No fatigue!

Old 11-03-2006, 11:14 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Blessed,

Glad to hear that your feeling better,missed ya.
Hope your keeping a journal until your next appt.Neuro's can be very frustrating at times.
I'm facing right now that I can't remember anything unless I write it down,then I usually forget where I put it.(lol)

Toni

Closed Thread