It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2006, 06:30 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Rorie HB User
anyone take anything nonaddictive to sleep? Klonopin question...

It will be awhile before I can see my neurologist, so was just wondering if you have any advice.

I have taken Klonopin, either .25 mg or half of that, at night for almost a month to help with spasms/tremors and to help me fall asleep. It did help me fall asleep fast usually, but I didn't seem to get quite enough sleep...and I'm not sure if it really helped with the spasms...sometimes I wondered if it made it worse.

Now I am trying to not take the klonopin because my primary doctor told me it could be addictive. I am not getting hardly any sleep at all. Is there something non-addictive that helps occasionally to get sleep and would it be safe to take now, even though I've recently taken klonopin...concerned about interactions etc.

Thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2006, 05:01 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

StephanieAnne HB User
Re: anyone take anything nonaddictive to sleep? Klonopin question...

I take Elavil 25mg to sleep, it's an antidepressant that works wonderful for sleep, and it keeps me asleep, and in combination with Zoloft that I take for depression, I think the 2 work good together, controlling my depression and helping me to sleep.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2006, 05:45 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Rorie HB User

Thanks for replying StephanieAnne. How long have you taken that medication? I will ask my primary dr about it...I can't see my neuro for over a month.

I am just not feeling like myself because I'm not getting the sleep I need and I am scared to take medication because of side affects/dependency. I can go for long periods of time and not really need anything, but right now I'm having a lot of trouble. I just want to feel like me again!

I appreciate your response! I was interested in any advice from taking medication to counting sheep to get into a nice sleep!

Old 08-02-2006, 05:48 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Rorie HB User

I wanted to add that I am fairly new to this whole MS thing and sometimes I'm just not sure if my problems are related to MS or stress or medication (like I was taking klonopin and I think it made some of my problems worse). Then I just feel so confused. Thanks to all who listen! I hate to keep babbling to my family members about my feelings because I know it gets tiring, so it makes me feel good to know I can "babble" here.

Old 08-03-2006, 12:07 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

StephanieAnne HB User

You can babble all the babble that you want, because we all understand

I have been taking Elavil for years like 6 or 7 years and during my 2nd relapse I had restless legs so bad it made me think that it was the Elavil that was causing the RL so I stopped taking it, and I took Ambien which I didn't like at all and come to find out, when I am very tired, I get RL relapse or not, Elavil or not, also during that relapse all I wanted was sleep similar to you at this stage and once I was able to take the Elavil again I was going to bed at 7pm well that was also while I was still working, and getting up at 5:30 every day,l and I don't work anymore I miss work

You can try the natural way, like sleepy time tea or Chamomile tea, and a cool bath with lavender salts, can you tell that I have tried alot before I was given the Elavil Fatigue is a difficult symptom, I take a nap every day sometimes 30 min sometimes 2 hrs

Hope this helps and I wish you lots of luck with your journey don't give up hope, and become knowledgeable about MS and also ask lots of questions go to the MS society web site, lots of info there to help you

Closed Thread