It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2006, 10:45 AM   #1
(female)

Max'sMom HB User
Question about pins and needles in hands/feet

Hi,
I'm new here. I mostly read other posts. I am in the stage of gathering information and want to ask a question about an episode of pins and needles in hands/feet. Where do those of you who are DX with MS get the pins and needles in your hands and feet? I am hoping that you guys can reassure me, but I am not sure what I am looking for, just mostly it would be nice if you guys could describe where your pins and needles hit you.

Here is my background to my question: My neurologist has me listed as "possible MS" since a year ago. I had a bad spell last year when I was tripping, lightheaded and dropping things, plus experiencing bladder issues and zingers in my neck. At that time, my tests were all normal and my brain MRI was clean. Since around a year ago, I have been doing really well and am just about back to normal. Two exceptions: I trip at times, especially on stairs, and have fallen flat on my face around 3 times.I also had an episode of worsening symptoms: pins and needles in my hands and feet.

Here is my question/isssue, Is it true that MS-ers do not get pins and needles in the palm and along the sole of the foot?

My neurologist told me I was not getting pins and needles in the typical location for MS symptoms and that it was probably just a virus:
I had pins and needles just in my hands and feet, mostly my right foot and left hand, but the sensation travelled a bit from side to side. The location of the feeling was typically pins and needles in the palm and up to halfway up the fingers and thumb AND pins and needles in the soles of my feet. If this sounds confusing, the easiest way to explain it is I felt pins and needles as if I slapped someone in the face or slammed my foot down really hard. There were no pins and needles in the arm or leg. The pins and needles lasted around 3 weeks.

Do these symptoms sound like they are not where MS hits you with pins and needles?

Thanks -- and sorry for so long a question!
MM

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2006, 12:49 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

duttin HB Userduttin HB User
Re: Question about pins and needles in hands/feet

MM,

I have MS and I do get pins and needs in the palms of my hands and feet.Neuro's use text books for info vs listening to patients.Pins and needles can be anywhere.I get them that go from the feet half way up the legs.After seeing three neuro's I beleive they have there own ideals of what MS symptoms are.

Old 08-21-2006, 04:23 PM   #3
(female)

Max'sMom HB User
Re: Question about pins and needles in hands/feet

Nuffs3,

Thanks for your reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuffs3
MM,

I have MS and I do get pins and needs in the palms of my hands and feet.Neuro's use text books for info vs listening to patients.Pins and needles can be anywhere.I get them that go from the feet half way up the legs.After seeing three neuro's I beleive they have there own ideals of what MS symptoms are.
It is hard to communicate some of these symptoms in a short office visit. I think that I don't always know how to explain the symptoms I am feeling even to myself. I don't have anyone to talk to because I cannot talk about this to my family (I want to spare them the anxiety of thinking I might have something chronic if I don't in fact have it: my parents are in their 80s and this kind of thing would so upset them).

Hope your pins and needles are not bugging you too much right now, mine have mostly gone away and I feel much better.

Max's mom

Closed Thread