It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2006, 08:54 PM   #1
(male)

Steve Brandt HB User
Drunk without drinking and MS, a SYMPTOM?

I have MS. A strange thing has been happening lately about every three weeks where all the sudden I feel totally drunk out of my mind. cannot walk or see well, I even blacked out at Saratoga race track at the Traver's stakes which was embarrasing, and was throwing up all the way home. I was not back to normal until noon the next day. I went to my neurlogist who sceduled another MRI but it showed no difference from the previous one. anybody else experience this? HELP!

Steve

Old 09-20-2006, 02:10 AM   #2
(female)

gib70 HB User
Re: Drunk without drinking and MS, a SYMPTOM?

Could it be something else not related to MS? I have a girlfriend who has diabetes and if she doesn't keep her sugar in check, she can start to act drunk. Slurred speech, losing her balance and even passing out if he gets too bad. Just something to think about otherwise I haven't heard others specifically mention what you're talking about as a symptom but MS is so varied, who knows.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2006, 03:48 AM   #3
(female)

Alita1160 HB User

Well well, I am reading about all my greatest hits on this board.

JUST YESTERDAY, I felt very drunk. This does not happen often and I have variations of Mrs. Drunk comes to town. Let me start at the most horrible to the merely troublesome.

--Number one is a feeling of vertigo so strong, that if I do not stop moving and lay down, I will surely vomit. I had a very bad relapse in 2001 and because I did not suffer from balance problems as difficult as this, I was unaware of the consequences of not getting help immediately. I was in the hospital for 5 days. When admitted, I could not open my eyes without the feeling of nausea. After 5 days on high doses of IV steroids (say what you like about steroids---they work) I was able to return home, but I remained unsteady on my feet and was bedridden for three weeks and had to take yet more drugs to counteract the side effects of the steroids. Later, I had a bone density scan performed because steroids may cause bone loss. I must admit that I will make a pretty skeleton.

--Number two is the feeling of vertigo that is incapacitating, but is relieved if I take a nap. If a nap will not do it, a day or two on low does of prednisone (10 mg in morning) will alleviate the problem in a week or in 2 weeks or 2 months. The longest is 4 months and I took 10mg of predisone twice a day.

--Number three is the type where I become my audience of one at the comedy club. [url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/images/smilies/jester.gif[/url]
I am prone to articulate my actual thoughts to people who may use discretion when speaking. Sometimes I slur my words while in this state and I really become funny.

By way of example of speaking plainly, I stopped at the local donut shop for a muffin and decaf coffee. The lady serving me sneezed and continued to reach for my muffin. Her head was turned away, but gee, I did wish to analyze the direction of the spittle, or an allergy or some new form of disease. I told her to STOP, WASH her hands, and perhaps the muffins on the far end of the counter are a better choice. SHE ACTUALLY DID NOT GET MY MESSAGE. I repeated it several times until another employee understood and served me.

--Number four on my list is a loss of balance control. I may lean to one side or I may fall. I must say, furniture is often around to stop my fall.

--Last on my list is a slight feeling of dizziness, but the dizziness does not have the "loss of balance option." Driving is not a problem; it is more akin to a minor headache. This last type will bring on fatigue. No funny story here. I am just too tired to think of the hilarity of the moment.

Hope this helps, but please take caution that MS symptoms vary widely and take different forms in the individual.

Last edited by Alita1160; 09-20-2006 at 03:52 AM.

Old 09-20-2006, 11:43 AM   #4
(female)

iluvsiamese HB User

Another thought for you is... Did you get too warm. If you were at the speedway and out in the sun, that can cause a flare up like you described!

Old 09-27-2006, 07:26 PM   #5
(female)

Karen8787 HB User

I have had the same feeling of being very drunk, after one glass of wine or no drinks at all. It only happens every now and then, but I have noticed it seems to occur when I've been excited about a event. But boy when it occurs I can't walk from point A to B plus all the other side effects mention. I have primary progressive MS

Old 11-01-2006, 03:21 PM   #6
(female)

clowder HB User

HI!

I, too have MS, and vertigo and speech problems (slurring, etc) are common symptoms. There is a medication for the vertigo, called 'Antivert' (original, no?) which i seem to remember as fairly helpful the couple of times I had the problem. I remember watching TV and getting up to do something and thinking 'whoa....that was a strong drink i had' before remembering that i hadn't HAD anything to drink that evening.

also, once, in the hospital, i had a roommate with terribly progressive MS, and her speech was so bad from her MS that after we both got out and she would call me at work, our secretary was SURE that the gal was a flaming alcoholic.

Fortunately, from what i've heard, this symptom is USUALLY transient, and will resolve completely. That is what happpened in my case, and i've never had another attack.

hope that helps. Best of luck to you!

clowder

Old 11-01-2006, 08:14 PM   #7
(female)

kiwi girl HB User

Hello Steve
I have experience this symptom on many occasions, it is a symptom of MS. Some people don;t have it. I had it today while talking to physio, you really have convince yourself that you have not been drinking that's how bad it feels for me anyway. i also found when I had a job that I had to talk alot, I would start to slurr my speech.
Hope you feel better take care of yourself

Old 11-24-2006, 11:58 AM   #8
(female)

ITSABOUTTIME HB User

Hi There,
I just read your post and experienced Vertigo that landed me in bed for months. This happened 2 yrs ago. This was the most horrifying experience of my life. It took almost 6 months to recoup. I was wondering how you are doing and if you ever get vertigo anymore.
I didn't do the steroids but wished I did. Maybe I would have felt better much sooner. No one knows how bad these episodes are until you experience itself.
I hope you are well. Julie

Old 12-29-2006, 07:23 PM   #9
(female)

hollymbk HB User

Hi,
I have gotten drunk from eating fish before. I remember I ate a bunch of salmon one night at a sushi restaraunt and when we left, I asked everyone if they felt weird, because I felt like I had about 3 beers. I also could feel an electric tingling all over my body. I found out later that I was allergic to salmon, by getting tested.

Another thing about the vertigo, I have two friends who get that from Menierre's disease. It's something with the inner ear, and you get unexpected bouts of vertigo for days at a time. Low sodium diets are crucial to that condition.

Old 12-30-2006, 09:00 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Natatude HB User

i get that same drunk feeling alot!!!! at least 10 times a day, especially is i go to my mom and dads, they keep their house at like 72 to 74 degrees,, i can not take it that hot,, i keep my house at 68 and 69 all year long, gas furnace in the winter and the central air in the spring summer and half the fall, but when i am over heated is when it takes the drunk effect the most, i always have to sit down and relax and cool down, or i feel like i will pass out! when i am at my parents, i am usually there to help my mom do things like bake pies and so forth and we do it all by scratch, i gotta crack open some windows and ask them to turn down their heat,, sometimes my dad gets upset and says "this is our house damn it and i am comfortable" and i want to cry and i always apologize, but if they don;t make it cool enough for me i will have an attack and need to go home.

Closed Thread