It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2006, 04:15 AM   #1
(female)

kiwi girl HB User
Question Glandular Fever now you have MS

I am very interested to know how many people with MS, have had Glandular Fever in the past.
I have read a couple of research papers linking people who had Glandular Fever as a child or teenager, then develop MS. I had Glandular Fever as a teenager, and I can honestly say I have never been the same since.
Anyway if anyone has anything to say about this topic I would love to hear your view.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2006, 01:38 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

anxiousme HB Useranxiousme HB Useranxiousme HB User
Re: Glandular Fever now you have MS

I didn't know that mono was glandular fever! I had to do a web search to find out what you were talking about. I had mono. I got it in college. I guess I was about 20 years old. I read that there is a possible link to MS along with other viruses ie: herpes, etc.. I happen to have oral herpes too. I also have other auto-immune disease in my family. I will never know what caused this for me. Mono was no fun though. My case was with me for about a month.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2006, 11:04 AM   #3
(female)

fairynuf HB User

hi,

I had glandular fever when i wa 15 and dx with ms at 27. Short message but just thought i would input.

Old 10-11-2006, 11:13 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

duttin HB Userduttin HB User

I had mono twice,once as a teen and when I was 20.I have 2 friends that had mono,they both have MS also.Could be a link there.

Old 10-11-2006, 06:10 PM   #5
(female)

Mythreekids HB User

Yes, I had mono when I was 16 and diagnosed with MS at 35. I've also read a lot about the Ebstein Barr virus having a link to MS and Hodgkins disease. My oldest sister had mono at the same age as me, she doesn't have MS but does suffer with other auto immune.
Hope that helps you out.

Old 10-11-2006, 06:54 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

lilc HB User

There's an older post on here about this - search for Epstein Barr or mono. Yep, I had it when I was 15. First MS sx around mid-30s (as far as I can recall), dx'd at 48.
I don't know if I had a "bad" case, but I know it made me miss the summer that year. It affected my liver. I had gotten a horse only a few months before, it KILLED me when the doc said I couldn't ride her for 3 months. Yes, I cheated, I was on that horse as soon as I could sneak away!

Old 03-10-2007, 05:24 PM   #7
(female)

heatherose HB User

I was diagnosed with Epstein-Barr when I was 17 and MS when I was 20.

Old 03-10-2007, 09:15 PM   #8
(female)

april15 HB User

I had mono when I was 10. I haven't been dx'd with MS yet, but have had symptoms and am going through the diagnosis process.

Old 03-11-2007, 02:55 PM   #9
Veteran
(male)

michael178 HB User

MS is a strange disease. It typically is a northern states disease. It is heat sensitive, and researchers are now linking it to vitamin D, and sun exposure. There have always been a lot of theories as to why all of the above are true. My father was a Mayo Clinic neurologist and he was the original discoverer of much of the above. I read one of his papers when he started by listing all of the known causes of MS, and it took forever to read through the list. Anyone who has been in MS support groups knows why. MS is a relapsing remitting disease. Meaning the symptoms come and go. Everyone in those groups inevitably starts taking a supplement, and as soon as they do, their symptoms relapse. Then it is "YES YES, this actually works" they tell everybody. And nothing will convince them otherwise. So there always is an endless list of both the causes and the cures of MS. So, yes, you are on to something. But your cause will only go to the bottom of a very long list of all the other causes.

Closed Thread