It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2006, 09:03 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Blessed4Life HB User
Numbness During Sleep

I have had several occasions when I woke out of my sleep in pain because my hands and/or arms had become so numb that I was in pain. It is like the same feeling you would get it if you were sitting or your feet to kneel for a long time. I am very I don't sleep on my hands, occassionally on an arm but I am quick to turn over since the numbness kicks in pretty quickly. I know that numbness is usually associated with poor circulation but could this be MS related? Numbness is now my worst symptom and it affects me from head to two. Yesterday, I went to the ladies room at work and found that my buns were numb! Now if that isn't strange, especially since it was numb before I sat down. Anyone with similar symptoms?

Michelle

Old 11-09-2006, 10:56 AM   #2
(male)

dtripper HB User
Re: Numbness During Sleep

My doctors has brought up the possibility that I might have MS. These symptoms that you mention are almost exactly what am experiencing. I was diagnosed with Lupus forteen years ago so there also is the possibility that that could also be the cause of this and other acute symptoms.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-09-2006, 10:56 AM   #3
(male)

dtripper HB User

My doctors has brought up the possibility that I might have MS. These symptoms that you mention are almost exactly what am experiencing. I was diagnosed with Lupus forteen years ago so there also is the possibility that that could also be the cause of this and other acute symptoms.

Old 11-09-2006, 12:17 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Blessed4Life HB User

When all of my symptoms began, about 5 years ago, I was being seen by a rheumy who suspected Lupus. I had an aunt (mom's side) who had Lupus. During the two years I was seeing him, the Lupus test results were always negative. Then one day his new resident did a full series of blood tests and found that my thyroid was over active. I was dx'd with Graves Disease and about six months later I unwent radiation treatment which "killed" my thyroid. It's been "dead" now for about almost two years. I still have many of the same symptoms as well as some new ones. But because of the history of thyroid disease I am always being it's probably your thyroid. Since when does a "dead" organ affect you? Well, I have seen a neuro twice. I left in tears both times. I have these symptoms that they can't see. The one and only brain MRI I had was "perfect" and the neuro refused to repeat the test. I felt like grabbing her around her neck and saying, "I'm paying so do the darn test!". I felt like she was refusing me a service that I rightfully deserved. I left feeling like a crazy fool. Crazy because she didn't believe my symptoms are real and like a fool because I got my hopes up that I would get some answers. I pray that you have better success in getting answers than I have.

Michelle

Old 11-15-2006, 03:38 PM   #5
(female)

tanda156 HB User

Michelle,

Oh how I know how you feel. I have been having "symptoms" of something since sept. My problem is is that I had been prescribed meds for anxiety in the past. SO, now it's all anxiety and no one except my GP takes me serious. I have numbness almost everyday. Escpecially at night. My MRI was clear too. They did a spinal tap and only found that my WBC was elevated but can't tell me what that means. Had MRI of neck thoratic spine and lumbar. Have bulging disks but they say that wouldn't explain my symptoms either. Still waiting on results of lumbar. Now they want a sleep study because they think PLMD (periodic limb movement disorder) because part of my symptoms are "jerks" like a muscle spasm. Who knows,I am frusterated too.

Last edited by tanda156; 11-15-2006 at 03:39 PM.

Old 11-16-2006, 06:33 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Blessed4Life HB User

tanda156,

I too have the "jerks". They are mostly in my fingers. I get what could be considered jerks in my face (mainly around my mouth) but since lips don't move like fingers I call it twitching. I happy to hear that they are at least testing you. I have had one brain MRI that must have been a quicky because at the most it took 15 minutes.

Yesterday was a weird day. I had fatigue and my legs felt like mush. I wanted to go home and climb in bed so badly but I had a meeting I couldn't miss. (Gotta love having to work!) I also have been getting these electrical shocks in my hands. And my poor pinky finger insists that I am in antartica . Out of no where it will decide to be ice cold. It isn't so bad but it is a distriction, especially when it gets so cold that I have to sit in a meeting rubbing it.

Today isn't so bad. I call the vibrating feeling I get "plugged in". Today, my circuits are on low. So that is a good thing. I don't have any numbness today. But I guess it might be too early to make that claim - it's only 9:30am.

Hope you have a "low" day, too!

Michelle

Old 11-16-2006, 09:21 AM   #7
(female)

tanda156 HB User

Michelle,

It is nice to know that there are people experiencing the same things. I just get so sick of everyone telling me that it is anxiety. I have had anxiety my whole life and this started 2 months ago and hasn't quit.

I am glad you are having a low day, I am too. I have a little numbness in my laft hand but no jerks today. so far... Have you went to another neuro yet? I think that I would try to find one. If mine refers back to my anxiety again I am going to find one in Denver or something that might know what they are doing. How long have you had symptoms? Talk to you soon APril

Old 11-20-2006, 11:31 AM   #8
(female)

susanna1979 HB User

I have the same symptoms....I get numb during my sleep..so numb that I don't want to sleep anymore...and i have an internal vibration that doesn't go away!!! my hands get cold too!!! i had a MRI in my brain that was normal..i'm waiting for more test, but the doctors don't help me..they told me that I'm fine..I had all the blood test done...all normal!!! I'm very sad!!! i'm not more the same person!!!

Old 11-20-2006, 01:03 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Blessed4Life HB User

susanna1979,,

This is driving me crazy. I feel like I am plugged in. In the past few days, I haven't had much numbness. Now it is mucle tightness and this vibrating that is getting on my nerves. I am so sick of this body of mine. I know that it is a blessing to have this body that basically operates right. I am just so frustrated. I am so fatigued, too. I just want to climb in bed and stay there.

Also, does anyone get sudden body temperature changes? I get these hot flashes out of no where. I will be feeling fine and suddenly I feel like I am about to combust. Anyone experience this?

Michelle

Old 11-20-2006, 02:17 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

shellymay HB User

Blessed4Life,

I just started having this vibrating feeling in my body. I have been having the muscle spasms but this is like a vibration in my pelvis area. Do you have this? I also have the temperature changes. I thought that maybe I was going through the change early, but I spoke with a friend of mine that has been diagnosed with MS and she too has temperature changes. One minute she is fine and the next she has sweat all on the back of her neck and hair. I have had a pretty good day today. I have just had the vibrations and that's about it. I am so glad that the head jerking and the temperture changes and the off balance feeling is not with me today. I hope that you are doing well also.

Michelle

Old 11-20-2006, 02:32 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Blessed4Life HB User

shellymay,

Glad to hear you are having a good day (aside from the vibrating). I too get it in the pelvis area. I get it pretty much everywhere. I've even had it my "special place" which isn't a bad feeling but just annoying. I am happy to hear that I am not going through the change. I was talking to a friend of mine that is over 60 and she laughingly suggested that it could be. I'm like - I'm 34 for goodness sakes! LOL Anyway, I have felt those "hot flashes" maybe a few times. It hasn't been chronic so I didn't think anything of it. I thought it might be coming from the inside when this weekend it was 40 degrees outside (I was in the car) and one minute I was cold and the next I was pulling off my coat, winding down the window and fanning myself. My daughter thought it was funny and laughed as she fanned me. She said I was going through the change and thought it was funny. LOL When her time comes, I'll be sure to remind her of how funny it was when she thought I was going through the change.

Something else - I notice that I an insatiable need to shake my legs. I think it is because if I am shaking them I don't notice the vibrating as much.

Michelle

Old 11-20-2006, 07:44 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

shellymay HB User

Blessed4Life,

I love it!!! You had me laughing sooooo hard everyone came out of their rooms to find out what I was laughing at. "Special place" that is toooo cute!! I don't think that we are going through the change, I just think it is another symptom of MS. I am 37 and usually you follow in your mother's footsteps and my mother didn't start having symptoms of the change till late 40's. What's so funny is I used to be so cold natured. I am still unless I am having a really bad day with symptoms and then that's when I am usually really hot. How about you? I tend to shake my legs alot too but I just thought that it was a nervous condition, but maybe that is why I do that too!! It's nice talking with you Blessed4Life. How old is your daughter? I have two daughters one is 18 and the other one is 6 years old.

Michelle

Old 11-21-2006, 08:22 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

Blessed4Life HB User

shellymay,

It is nice talking to you too. My daughter, Megan, is 13. She is my only child and at the age where I am scared to death. She is heading to high school which makes me stressed -- not helping my symptoms at all. LOL

I too have always been cold natured. I am the person that had a blanket on the bed all year long. My husband of three years almost divorced me because he is hot natured and I would turn the heat up and have a man who was already down to his boxers stumping his feet as he marched downstairs in the middle of the night to sleep on the sofa where it is cooler (we have cathedral ceilings). Meanwhile, I was snug as a bug in a rug and still cold. Surprisingly enough, I didn't touch the heat until late October! And I only put it on 67. Normally it would be on by September and pumping at 78 or 80! He is loving me now! I still get cold but my tolerance is alot higher.

I too thought it was nerves. Out of nowhere I would be shaking my legs. I couldn't stop. But now that I think about it, I really only do it when my legs are vibrating or the mucle spams are really bad. Go figure, this crazy brain of mind is wise enough to know how to distract me from myself.

Michelle

Old 11-21-2006, 04:50 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

shellymay HB User

Michelle,

I know where you are coming from with your daughter. Just wait till she starts driving. That's when the stress really kicks in. My heat is set on 67 also. Like you, I still get cold but my tolerance is a lot higher also. I'm kind of weird though. I have Raynauds disease in my feet and hands so they stay cold but my body is hot. If that makes sense. Thanks again for talking with me and I hope that you are still doing fine.

Michelle

Old 11-22-2006, 05:51 AM   #15
Veteran
(female)

Blessed4Life HB User

Michelle

I'm having a pretty good day so far (it's 8:46am ) Anyway, I am already dreading the day Meg will get behind the wheel. She is a little miss independent (thanks to me) so she will definitely have the confidence of a trucker with 20 years experience. A teenager with that attitude is dangerous!

I don't have Raynauds, at least I don't think I do. But I have one finger (sometimes two) on my left hand that will suddenly get cold. I mean very cold. I have to rub it to cope with the cold feeling. So I sit rubbing a cold finger or two while the rest of my body is turning up the heat.

Michelle

Closed Thread