It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2006, 07:54 PM   #1
(male)

woodysouth HB User
Itching and MS

FYI in case you have itching on your body from ms there is help.

I started itching from ms .The Doctor gave me combination 2 medicines that are actually prescribed for other conditions.

He gave me low dose Orap and low dose doxepin to use when I have itching from ms.

Old 11-12-2006, 06:22 PM   #2
(female)

AlabamaFan HB User
Re: Itching and MS

Hey Woodysouth,

I am so glad to hear of someone else with itching as a symptom of MS. I was only diagnosed in Feb 06 but had the stinging sensation (mostly on legs) for a year. I would walk the floor, take a bath with oatmeal, use benedryl, and anything else I could think of. After my diagnosis I mentioned to him about this itching and he said that could be a MS symptom and gave me a prescription for Gabapentin. I've only had to use it a few times but it seems to help. Thanks for the information and will ask my dr. about it.
AlabamaFan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2006, 07:10 PM   #3
(male)

woodysouth HB User

The California Doctor who came up with idea to use 1/2 of a 1mg of Orap and 25 mg up to 100 mg doxepin with ms itch,started this combination for neurapthy in diabetes and found it also helps ms related itching.

I used to have occasional ms itching.Eventually it was daily and I take maintence dose of orap daily now and use the doexpin only with flare.
Apparently more common for peron to have burn or pins and needle sensation rather than itching.

Old 11-13-2006, 01:17 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Blessed4Life HB User

I have an unusual itching feeling under my finger nails on two of my fingers. It drives me crazy! I cannot reach the area where it itches but I can't help trying to scratch the itch. It is just awful.

Michelle

Old 11-13-2006, 10:26 PM   #5
(female)

fancykat HB User

Blessed:

Your post made me itchy just thinking about your symptoms!

I've had really bad itchy spells for a long time. Nothing would help. I'm currently taking Lyrica (for almost a year now) and recently my doc had me cut the dosage thinking my dizzy spell may have had something to do with that med. The itch came back with such ferocity, that I went back to my previous dosage. I didn't realize how much it helped. Lyrica is prescribed for nerve issues, so anyone with itchiness may want to look into it.

Old 11-16-2006, 06:36 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

lilc HB User

I'm pretty sure neurontin (gaba-whatever) also helps. I ran out for about a month, got right back to the itches that made me scratch until I was bruised. Thankfully I got more meds, only itch a little now.
I found my neuro again, after about 6 months, have an appt the 30th, will ask about the other meds!

Old 11-17-2006, 12:36 AM   #7
(male)

woodysouth HB User

Fancy cat

What is dosage and frequency you take Lycria?Is it expensive?
Glad it help you with your itching
Woody

Old 11-17-2006, 06:00 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Blessed4Life HB User

Something just dawned on me. I itch all of the time! I just figured it was dry skin but now that I think about it there is always some part of my that itches. I have this one spot on my right leg that I scatched until it became a sore. Now, every now and then, it itches like crazy. I always assumed a bug bit me and the itch wouldn't go away. I must be crazy since the itching started about 2 years ago. That would have had to been some bug. LOL

Michelle

Old 11-17-2006, 11:47 AM   #9
(female)

Avenue Q HB User

Hi everyone who had posted about itching and MS. I just had a problem with itching for the first time, but not sure if it was MS related. I was using Murphy's floor cleaner and just maybe I had a reaction to it touching my skin. But it did cause me a rash on my arm and itching that would drive anyone nuts . What my doctor did recommend to me was [Clarinex] I think that's right (sp)forgot how it spelling. It's normally use for allergies but it work very very good to just great. Maybe it would help you as well you can always ask your doctor.

Old 11-17-2006, 07:42 PM   #10
(female)

fancykat HB User

Woody:

I take 150 mg Lyrica at bedtime. Not sure what the price tag is since it's covered under my insurance...but I would guess it's pricey . Lyrica is a relatively new med, the successor to Neurontin.

Hope that helps!

Closed Thread