It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2006, 03:57 PM   #1
(female)

tanda156 HB User
Question exacerbation

WHat is an exasperation exactly how long do they last? I have been having symptoms but they seem to go in weeks. When this first started it started with burning and numbness, lasted about a week. Then I was great w/ no symptoms for about a week then I started with R hand spazzing out and "jerks" or muscle spasms.Lost BM control twice. This lasted 10 days then I was great again for almost a week and now for about a week I have had the numbness back. Is this normal? I haven't been diagnosed with anything yet and in limbo but is this how exasperations work? Also, what about the hug? When i do start my "jerks" I feel this allover pressure feeling that is imposssible to explain and I know that my body is going to "jerk" or spasm any thoughts?

Last edited by tanda156; 11-15-2006 at 07:49 PM.

Old 11-15-2006, 07:08 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

LaLady HB User
Re: Exasperations

One of the hardest things about MS is learning to spell "exacerbation". You may want to call it a flare or relapse.

An exacerbation (also known as a relapse, an attack, or a flareup) is a sudden worsening of an MS symptom or symptoms, or the appearance of new symptoms. It may be mild or may significantly interfere with the individual's daily life. Exacerbations usually last from several days to several weeks, although they may extend into months.

I am never sure how much we can say here but you may want to check with the National Multiple Sclerosis Society's website.

Every exacerbation is unique. Different people can experience very different symptoms during a relapse.

I had one doozy flare and was finally diagnosed after almost a year of tests and different doctors. I have had some mini-flares since then but always manageable. It was usually when I over exerted. I am on Avonex and very pleased.
I have never had "the hug" and don't really have a problem with jerking but when I am really tired and go to bed, I notice my feet and legs will twitch.

Good luck to you, MS is different for almost every person.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2006, 01:53 PM   #3
(female)

Avenue Q HB User

tanda 156 my experience with exacerbations would be that they can last as long as years. I would be referring to my case. I had sciatic pain that had lasted as long as ten years in one leg which was cause from trauma from and auto accident. Yes trauma can trigger MS .But pain management took care of that for me.... :blob after suffering ten long years with that unrelenting buttocks/eg pain.

I hope another opinion helped you understand...actlly I've once read where no two people are the same with symptoms. I was told that people with MS are like a snowflake...where know two people are alike with symptoms.

The best thing to do is read and look into the MS Society website or call yourself to your local MS Society.

Sorry as far as the hugs you referred to or jerking I never had to deal with it. Good luck

Old 11-16-2006, 04:20 PM   #4
(female)

tanda156 HB User
Re: exacerbations

Thank you, I just wanted to know if it is typical to have them in week bouts. I appreciate your time.

Old 11-16-2006, 06:34 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

duttin HB Userduttin HB User

Tanda,

After my first attack I had off and on symptoms for a year.Some days they were completly gone and others they were debilatating.
I have had the MS hug,thankfully it left as guick as it came.It definatly has to be one of the ***zarest symptoms.The jerks,myoclonus are frightening at first,especially when a body part jumps and you think what the heck,why is that happening.Since I have been on meds this has subsided.Some of the jerks are normal.Beings when you begin to fall asleep and on occassion a limb will jerk slightly.During the day they are abnormal.
Tanda, my most recent attack I did not move,I had no movement in my right leg and extreme low back pain.This attack left me with nystagmus and hearing loss.Everyone is different.Each attack is different.The low back pain is gone,the numbness has subsided in the leg.The hearing loss is permanant and I have a feeling the nystagmus is here for a while.But this will all pass and life goes on.
I know you are limbo,many have been there are you keeping a journal,getting test results ,mri reports ?

Keep us posted.

Old 11-17-2006, 12:16 PM   #6
(female)

Avenue Q HB User

Tanda...yes symptoms can last only for just 2 days, weeks, months etc. I read this from my insurance companies newletter so its comes from a good source.

Old 11-17-2006, 06:07 PM   #7
(female)

tanda156 HB User

Nuffs3,

So, what is the hug and how does it feel? Is this the pressure feeling I get? THe neurologist said that these were myloclonic siesures but that was the extent of his explanation. These "myoclonus" as you call them, do you know if it is possible to have them all the time? When I first got these it was constant and then over 10 days they subsided. Now very occasional but mostly when I lay down or wake up in the morning. They told me that the MS tests came back neg. from my spinal, does that mean that they are not looking in that direction anymore? The nuero told me that all they can do is monitor me over the next year and to keep a journal to bring in with me. I see him Tuesday. Should I ask about evoked potential testing? I haven't gotten any of my medical records because I don't know where to start or what to ask for. Thanks for everything. April

Old 11-17-2006, 06:54 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

duttin HB Userduttin HB User

Tanda,

A MS hug is exactly that a constanst hug type feeling.As if someone was hugging you and not letting go.

The myoclonus,the jerking upward movement of a limb can last then subside.With MS we all have similiar symptoms,but they effect us differently.When I had my attack 18 months ago,the myoclonus jerks were persistant and after a few months they subsided and appear now on occassions.

Tanda keep in mind a lumbar puncture is normal in 15-25 % of all MS patients.Its used now days when MRI's are normal or inconclusive.

You have a good neuro,he wants to monitor you and for you to keep a journal.More neuro's need to be this way with there patients.He's not dismissing your symptoms,he's just stumped and hasn't found a cause yet.

Obtaining med records is a breeze.Your neuro should have all your test results,at your appointment ask for them to mail you copies.They'll ask what for and just explain for personal use.If you had MRI's at a hospital or diagnostic facility just call them.Ask for copies of the reports.

Evoked Potentials could ease your mind.They relativly painless and can detect lesions missed by a MRI.It wouldn't hurt to discuss this with your DR.

Hang in there.

Old 11-18-2006, 10:23 PM   #9
(female)

tanda156 HB User

Nuffs,

THank you it is so nice to know that others go through what you have. I hadn't found anyone that had experienced the myoclonus. When I went to the ER the Doc there told me to see a physcologist. So then I start questioning myself, are these real, can I control them. I keep answering yes they are real and uncontrollable. I started having them tonight for the last 2 1/2 hours. My entire torso jerks like teretts or something. We had friends over because I have been feeling pretty good and then my hand started shaking and then the jerks came. It is frusterating but still very nice to know that others have experienced it.

I see my Dr. Tuesday and I think that I will ask him about evoked potentials and getting copies of my records. Do I need to get the films from my MRI's or just reports? I think the Dr office charges $20 per copy though. Thank you for pointing out that he is not dismissing me because that is how I felt, which is also frusterating. I appreciate it. How long have you had this?

Thanks for everything April

Closed Thread