It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2006, 08:12 PM   #1
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 73
lgr014 HB User
What Were First Symptons...

I am amazed at how much I can relate to some of you here!! I just finished reading the post on being overwhelmed....I thought seriously that I was the ONLY person that feels that way! i know what I have to do...it's just making myself do it. And feeling like I'm just lazy....I'm a single mom of 2 kids - my son is 17 and daughter is 12.

I have no idea if I might have this disease or not and like I said in my first post: I don't know if I'm making more of this than what is needed. Can some of you please share with me your first symptoms? What led you to see a Dr.? At what point did you see a neuro?

My family is the same as some of you have posted: they tell me that I'm a hypochondriac and to suck it up! My children are so caring though...they always try to do for me when I'm feeling bad.

Thanks for allowing me to share this with all of you!

Lisa

 
Old 12-04-2006, 10:15 PM   #2
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: chicago, il US
Posts: 62
fancykat HB User
Re: What Were First Symptons...

Hi Igr:
I am new to this board myself and have received some wonderful advice from the kind folks here.

I don't know what kind of neurological mixed bag I have going on at the moment either. But I know how you're feeling. I have been vacillating between symptoms where I am sure as the nose on my face that something is wrong and what I'm experiencing is real, and thinking that perhaps this is all a figment of my imagination and I'm just overanalyzing stuff.

Personally, I had a freaky episode of vertigo that led me to the emergency room. A neurologist examined me and I was instructed to follow up with their clinic. I don't have an appointment until Dec. 20th, so I feel like I'm in one big waiting room. 6 months before that, I had an episode of back pain, spasms and numbness in my right leg. My gp sent me for a brain mri, but it came back clear.

I know how stressful it can be. Have you seen your regular doctor? If so, what does he/she say?

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 12-05-2006, 08:37 AM   #3
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: muncie, In, USA
Posts: 287
rilsam HB User
Re: What Were First Symptons...

My first symptoms were dizziness when standing and vertigo. I thought nothing of it because it's also symptoms of Fibromyalgia which I have had for 5 years. It came and went. Then 4 months latter I became extremly fatigued, with tremors and confusion. I would have a hard time saying what I was thinking. I checked my blood sugar which was normal. But because it wasn't consistant I didn't see my doc. Then the severe pain in my arms happened and I started dropping things. That's when I couldn't take it any more. My GP was great. My first neuro wasn't. So now I'm on the long road of discovery. My neuro is just waiting for my MRI's to turn positive.

 
Old 12-05-2006, 10:58 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: ohio
Posts: 2,467
duttin HB Userduttin HB User
Re: What Were First Symptons...

My first symptoms were numbness,rt leg weakness and spasticity.Then along come blurred vision.I have migrating pain,tingling,cold spot sensations.
Some have stayed and others have lessoned.

 
Old 12-05-2006, 04:21 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 489
Blessed4Life HB User
Re: What Were First Symptons...

My first symptom was so strange that it sticks out in my mind. I was at my boyfriend's (now husband) house one summer evening about three years ago. He hates to be hot and so I was freezing because he had the A/C to high. Anyway, we were watching a movie and suddenly I felt like a hot iron had fallen on my right foot. I screamed and yanked my foot up onto the sofa. I had to rub on it for a while before the feeling eventually went away. Every time I would mention it to my doctor (I was diagnosed with thyroid disease since then), I got the that is weird look. Buring feet isn't a typical thyroid disease sympom. Since then, my thyroid has been "fixed" and burning, aching, twitching, tightening, and the list goes on are part of my every day. Some days the symptoms are not too bad. Other days, I am limping or screaming in agony. Oh, I put refrigerated food in cabinets and throw away dishes. I also use the wrong words in speach and typing and I cannot remember names of people I have known for years. My husband believes my symptoms are real, he just doesn't think they are a bid deal. When I tell him about twitching, he says "oh that happens to everybody"

Hope you get some answers soon!

Michelle

 
Old 12-05-2006, 08:57 PM   #6
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 73
lgr014 HB User
Re: What Were First Symptons...

Thanks to all of you for the responses.....the more I read, the more scared I get. There are things here I thought I was the only one who had experienced and thought it was just "one of those things".

Sorry if this is too long but here goes!

Severe back pain that shoots down my right leg - Dr. says it is a ruptured disk -and may very well be -I just remember reading someone saying back pain. My 3 day migraine turned into occ. shooting pains on the side of my head and neck. Also, I read one symptom regarding eyes that move rapidly back & forth but not noticeable to the person. I have had people notice this with me. The itching, but no sign of a rash, redness or anything. Memory??? What is that?? My kids & co-workers are amazed at the things I do not remember and I will swear to them it never happened! I have a hard time focusing at times. Had a rough bout with vertigo right before this last migraine.

And the strangest thing I've noticed at times lately....don't know if this is just me or what! I can be talking to someone, and it's like I stop in the middle of what i'm saying and almost like something is not allowing me to start back talking again for a few seconds.....I know this sounds really wierd but seems a lot of weird things have been happening!

Eye problems - no vision problems (other than normal) but during all this with vertigo and migraines I had a problem with one eye itching like crazy all of a sudden - I know this is probably just due to allergies or something.

I had been feeling REALLY bad for several days now...last night I went to bed, rather late, I was hurting from the shooting pain in my head and my neck was hurting as well as the itching in my eye! I got up this morning, and I swear to you, I've never seen anything like it....everything that was bothering me was completely gone! It wasn't like , oh I feel a little better today.....it was as if NOTHING had ever been wrong...later I developed horribly (what I'm assuming was heartburn/indigestion) burning and pain in the right side of my chest/neck area.

Sorry this was so long....evidently I needed to talk and I so appreciate all of you for being here!!

Hope you all feel better and please take care! I'm here if anyone of you needs to vent!

Lisa

 
Old 12-06-2006, 06:25 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 489
Blessed4Life HB User
Re: What Were First Symptons...

Lisa,

I can relate to most of what you are saying. I too have moments when I am talking and suddenly STOP for a second or two. My daughter says it scares her because I have this blank look on my face.

As for the eyes, my problem is pain and twitching. I know that everyone gets the occasional eyelid twitch (My mom used to say "oh, it's just your nerves). Well, my twitching tends to be both my upper and lower lids and the area where my tearduct is. I guess my nerves are having a party when that happens. I do get pain in my right eye alot. The pain isn't alwasy the same. Sometimes it feels like someone behind my eyeball and trying to push it out of my head. Other times it feels achy when I move my eyeball around.

My most active symtom is my muscle spasm. I have them pretty much everywhere! I mean EVERYWHERE! From head to foot! Some of the spasms are small and tolerable, others are BIG and PAINFUL!. I get them in my face (cheeks, lips), neck, arms, chest, stomach, hips, thighs, fingers, toes, legs, ankles, and feet. These spasm coupled with my vibrating and twitching have my body in motion pretty much at all times. It is especially noticable when I laydown. I guess its because I want to rest and my body is saying "Party over here! Party over here!"

Trust me when I say it isn't easy. It is downright frustrating to have so much going on and have no idea why, but thanks to this Board you know you are not alone. Peace and Blessings!

Michelle

 
Old 12-07-2006, 05:08 PM   #8
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 73
lgr014 HB User
Re: (FancyCat)What Were First Symptons...

Hi FancyCat,

I have not seen my Dr. yet. Trying to wait and see if all this stuff goes away! I hate going to Drs and having them look at you as if they're thinking it's all in my head!! I went to the after-hours place this past weekend for shooting pains and after waiting for 2 hours to see a Dr., he offered to give me more Darvocet for the pain in my head and told me to follow up with my Dr. for a CT scan.

If it continues, I'll definitely make an appt though!




Quote:
Originally Posted by fancykat
Hi Igr:
I am new to this board myself and have received some wonderful advice from the kind folks here.

I don't know what kind of neurological mixed bag I have going on at the moment either. But I know how you're feeling. I have been vacillating between symptoms where I am sure as the nose on my face that something is wrong and what I'm experiencing is real, and thinking that perhaps this is all a figment of my imagination and I'm just overanalyzing stuff.

Personally, I had a freaky episode of vertigo that led me to the emergency room. A neurologist examined me and I was instructed to follow up with their clinic. I don't have an appointment until Dec. 20th, so I feel like I'm in one big waiting room. 6 months before that, I had an episode of back pain, spasms and numbness in my right leg. My gp sent me for a brain mri, but it came back clear.

I know how stressful it can be. Have you seen your regular doctor? If so, what does he/she say?

 
Old 12-08-2006, 07:52 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: FLORENCE ALABAMA
Posts: 53
SHAWN2426 HB User
Re: What Were First Symptons...

Hey Ms Nik, I Know What You Mean About The Hand Pain. That Was One Of My First Symptoms. I Had Ulnar Nerve Surgery On My Elbow Thinking That Was The Problem, Needless To Say That Was Not It And Carpal Tunnel Was Also Mentioned. Now Almost A Year Later My Hand Still Is Killing Me. I Have Nueronton To Take And That Is It, What Do You Take For It??? Shawn

 
Old 12-08-2006, 06:37 PM   #10
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 73
lgr014 HB User
Re: What Were First Symptons...

jenallen,

I'm so sorry to hear how much you've been through! I've certainly not experienced anything as severe as what you and others have....sometimes I do feel as if my brain is turning to mush at times!

I really hope you feel better soon!

Lisa

 
Old 12-26-2006, 11:45 AM   #11
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 259
tiff-cher HB User
Re: What Were First Symptons...

HI all,
I haven't been diagnosed with MS, but I feel more and more everyday that something is going on. I don't want to feel like it is all in my head because I know it's not. I come to this part of the boards to see if I see anything that sounds like me!!! And I DO!! My appt. with my new doc is in 2 weeks and I keep praying that I make it that long, everyday it seems like something else is going on.
I have fatigue, brain fog like crazy (more than usual), getting to the point of chronic UTI's, although I have had them off and on my whole life. They have been almost constant for the last 6 months. I could go on and on but I have on other boards. Anyway I guess I would just like some input from somebody that has MS......I'm scared of what my Dx is going to be. I was told along time ago by several people that I have Fibromyalgia but now I have had some tell me that I don't, so that is kind of out of my head right now.
I guess until I get to the doc, I have to just concentrate on getting better...
I feel bad most of the time, I have a lot of muscle pain, and my left arm is real bad. Although On Christmas I felt pretty good!! But today is one of my bad days.....I just go from one day to the next wondering how I'm gonna feel as soon as I wake up. Sometimes I can tell as soon as I roll over to hit the snooze, that is if I haven't been awake since 3-5 a.m.
I would like to hear from somebody...thanks!
TC

 
Old 12-27-2006, 06:40 AM   #12
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 259
tiff-cher HB User
Re: What Were First Symptons...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiff-cher
HI all,
I haven't been diagnosed with MS, but I feel more and more everyday that something is going on. I don't want to feel like it is all in my head because I know it's not. I come to this part of the boards to see if I see anything that sounds like me!!! And I DO!! My appt. with my new doc is in 2 weeks and I keep praying that I make it that long, everyday it seems like something else is going on.
I have fatigue, brain fog like crazy (more than usual), getting to the point of chronic UTI's, although I have had them off and on my whole life. They have been almost constant for the last 6 months. I could go on and on but I have on other boards. Anyway I guess I would just like some input from somebody that has MS......I'm scared of what my Dx is going to be. I was told along time ago by several people that I have Fibromyalgia but now I have had some tell me that I don't, so that is kind of out of my head right now.
I guess until I get to the doc, I have to just concentrate on getting better...
I feel bad most of the time, I have a lot of muscle pain, and my left arm is real bad. Although On Christmas I felt pretty good!! But today is one of my bad days.....I just go from one day to the next wondering how I'm gonna feel as soon as I wake up. Sometimes I can tell as soon as I roll over to hit the snooze, that is if I haven't been awake since 3-5 a.m.
I would like to hear from somebody...thanks!
TC
IgrO14
Just wanted to let you know that I feel the same way you do....everything sounds like me!!!!! I have a lot of the symptoms, and I feel bad most of the time. My next step is to get a Dx and get some answers, then I think I would feel better knowing yes or no, you know??????
I am to the point that I just want the Dx and like I have seen so many people on here say that they want the same, just to know what is going on!!
this board has helped me soooo much! It would almost be a relief. Does that make since??????
Thanks again.... TC

 
Old 12-27-2006, 10:07 AM   #13
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 125
Avenue Q HB User
Re: What Were First Symptons...

My first symptom was numbness from both feet to just below my breasts and this was caused from a dealth in the family my dear mother. Subsided after 6 six weeks and never had another problem at all until another stress factor and auto accident triggered the sleeping monster. So stress is definitely something you need to avoid .

 
Old 12-27-2006, 10:18 AM   #14
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Lancashire
Posts: 59
fairynuf HB User
Re: What Were First Symptons...

my first symptom was complete numbness down my whole right hand side. It was like a line had been drawn straight down the middle from my head to my feet. It lasted 6 wks with some residual numbness still there 5yrs later.


 
Old 12-27-2006, 10:59 AM   #15
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: portsmouth va united states
Posts: 2
lovetosmile48 HB User
Re: What Were First Symptons...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgr014
Thanks to all of you for the responses.....the more I read, the more scared I get. There are things here I thought I was the only one who had experienced and thought it was just "one of those things".

Sorry if this is too long but here goes!

Severe back pain that shoots down my right leg - Dr. says it is a ruptured disk -and may very well be -I just remember reading someone saying back pain. My 3 day migraine turned into occ. shooting pains on the side of my head and neck. Also, I read one symptom regarding eyes that move rapidly back & forth but not noticeable to the person. I have had people notice this with me. The itching, but no sign of a rash, redness or anything. Memory??? What is that?? My kids & co-workers are amazed at the things I do not remember and I will swear to them it never happened! I have a hard time focusing at times. Had a rough bout with vertigo right before this last migraine.

And the strangest thing I've noticed at times lately....don't know if this is just me or what! I can be talking to someone, and it's like I stop in the middle of what i'm saying and almost like something is not allowing me to start back talking again for a few seconds.....I know this sounds really wierd but seems a lot of weird things have been happening!

Eye problems - no vision problems (other than normal) but during all this with vertigo and migraines I had a problem with one eye itching like crazy all of a sudden - I know this is probably just due to allergies or something.

I had been feeling REALLY bad for several days now...last night I went to bed, rather late, I was hurting from the shooting pain in my head and my neck was hurting as well as the itching in my eye! I got up this morning, and I swear to you, I've never seen anything like it....everything that was bothering me was completely gone! It wasn't like , oh I feel a little better today.....it was as if NOTHING had ever been wrong...later I developed horribly (what I'm assuming was heartburn/indigestion) burning and pain in the right side of my chest/neck area.

Sorry this was so long....evidently I needed to talk and I so appreciate all of you for being here!!

Hope you all feel better and please take care! I'm here if anyone of you needs to vent!

Lisa

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Help! Weird symptoms and don't know what to make of them? Lala9 Diabetes 34 08-29-2010 04:59 AM
Please Help Identify Symptons-Research resulted in mixed results Ryan75061 Open to All Other Health Topics 2 08-22-2008 11:07 PM
What are the symptons?? *Lai* Bipolar Disorder 1 05-23-2006 02:47 PM
Might I ask what everyone's symptoms are? Jitterygal Chronic Fatigue 9 08-15-2005 03:09 PM
what are these tests my endo is sending me for? zorm Addison's Disease 5 07-24-2005 01:35 PM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added








TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



MSJayhawk (1005), MSNik (526), Snoopy61 (58), J-one (13), Whimpurr (13), shahila (12), JodiH (11), MS22 (11), KingBaxter (10), LasVegasgirl (8)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1180), MSJayhawk (1011), Apollo123 (909), Titchou (856), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (761), ladybud (755), midwest1 (669), sammy64 (668), BlueSkies14 (607)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:55 PM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!