It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2006, 02:19 PM   #1
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
copaxone and results...help requested please

Hi all. Hope you all are having a healthy day! I have a question which I am seraching for info on. I have been on Rebif now for 5 months. I have no problem with doing the injections, and the injection site reactions are handle-able...however, the flu like symtoms are KILLING ME. I now spend 3 days a week with the chills, fever, aches, and pains which is totally putting me out of commission.
Ive begged my doc to take me off it, but he wont until Ive been on it at least 6 months and had my next MRI...I have also had a major relapse since being on it...this, to me, isnt always worth it. Sure, I tell myself its working, but my body says otherwise.
SO, here is my question. The stats all say that Rebif is the wonder drug of MS, that it has so much higher a positive result rate in clinical studies....however, they are still putting newbies on Copaxone. SO, what I need to know is how many of you either have always been on Copaxone, or have changed to Copaxone..and what have the results been both in physical symtoms and overall changes in MS? Have you had another MRI since being on Copaxone ? Is it showing less legions? Have you had relapses since being on Copaxone??
I ask because from everything im reading, there are so many less side effects, at this point, I need something to convince my doc to let me try it....anyone got anything statistical they can help me with? Im just plain interested in hearing if Copaxone has the same success rate as Rebif supposedly does....again, im not convinced the Rebif is doing anything for me..not after the month of relapse I just had!!!
Thanks for your input.
Nikki

Last edited by MSNik; 12-27-2006 at 02:21 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2006, 03:35 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

newwoof HB User
Re: copaxone and results...help requested please

Hi Nikki and Merry Christmas!

I have been on Copaxone since August of this year. I have found that I have not seen any great improvements. The side effects have been minimal. Site reactions vary from site to site. A little off balance and dizzy for about an hour after shot. ( Not all the time though) Sometimes the site reaction is like hives, but goes away within the first hour usually. If you get past the fact that you need to stick yourself everyday you will be fine and hopefully have good results. I liked the fact that it was everyday. Helps with the routine I think. I think that I am going to try Mitaxitrone in Feb. and then go back to Copaxone. I hope this helps. I will try to update my progress or the ms progress.

Doug

Old 12-27-2006, 05:49 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Thanks Doug, I appreciate any information at all. You havent really been on this long enough to be able to tell if it is working or not- They say 6 months is the minimum that you should be on any drug for MS therapy before you have an MRI and see what is going on "behind the scenes"...but its good to know that the side effects are minimal in your estimate. I shoot up Rebif 3 times a week now, to me, whats another 4 shots a week? I no longer care about giving myself the shots....now, its all about the dreaded "how long untli I start puking" thing that upsets me!!
Thanks again for your input.
Nikki

Old 12-29-2006, 07:50 AM   #4
(female)

Avenue Q HB User

Niki sorry to read your having a rough time with the Rebif..we all understand how flu like symptoms are a real downer. But Copaxone, is great as far as that's concerned you never need to deal with that problem. I think your doctor needs to keep you on this medication for the full six months, to see if it "WILL' show some promise. But I certainly can understand how your feeling when your the one that has to contend with feeling like crap. I wish there were words of wisdom to make you feel better.....maybe get anyother opinion? is all I have to offer.
As far as the Copaxone, I haven't noticed any changes, but then again I don't experience relaspes as most do. My symptoms have remained the same even before I started the Copaxone. So as far as 'me' actually telling you that I have seen a difference I can't help you. And if I had exprienced changes my doctor would have referred me to have the MRI...so to answer your question no! I haven't needed to have another MRI. Really sorry I wasn't of much help huh!?sorry, but I just wanted to let you know I care, so take care and feel better soon.

Lu I hope we all see a brighter New Year

Old 12-29-2006, 08:36 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

hi Lu. Thanks for replying to me! I appreciate the fact that you took the time to do so. Im glad, for your sake, that you havent had any real problems on Copaxone. I have gotten a second opinion, and that doc agreed that Rebif was the way to go for now, too. I know, 6 months isnt that big a deal, and I only have 1 month more...but the side effects!!!
I do have an MRI in March, so well see what that shows..
meantime, have a wonderful, HEALTHY new year!
Nikki

Old 03-31-2007, 05:39 PM   #6
(female)

carlie222 HB User

Copaxone worked well reducing my relapses and symptoms for the past 9years with no sigificant placque formation on my brain untile the last one. (I have used Copaxone for 9 years.) My doc wants to switch me to something else now and I am reluctant because I've has no side effects with copaxone and it had profound immediate results that have lasted for 9 years. I would argue that your doc should switch you TO copaxone as I did have very effective, demonstrable and dramatic relief for a number of years. Good luck.

Last edited by carlie222; 03-31-2007 at 05:40 PM. Reason: misplaced negative

Closed Thread