It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2007, 04:40 PM   #1
(male)

raytherogeror HB User
Question Numbness in toes

I started feeling that my socks were folded under my foot,or there was something in my shoe about 3 years ago. I then realized it was numbness. Then a year later my toes began to loose feeling. I have no pain and can play tennis and go for long walks. I am 54, a type-1 Diabetic and I am 99kg. My DPM says it is not a diabetic problem. My MD has'nt a clue. I have had NO back promlems all of my life, but lately i get out of bed always with a backache which goes away as long as im upright. Any suggestions as to where I'm headed with this? If you have experienced the same symptoms, Please contact me. I get no proper diagnosis from any doctor i have met over the last 3 years. I have a tendency to have low blood sugar levels (as low as 47) after medication on some days too. Please help me. Am i dying of MS?

Old 01-30-2007, 07:17 PM   #2
(male)

creativecat HB User
Re: Numbness in toes

I too have weird symptoms, weak legs and odd aches in different part of the bodies every day, and if I exert I immediately feel it. But weirdly if I walk long enough - taking steps for about twenty minutes straight then they seem to get better- though initially its hard and difficult. But then I wake up and its a new stupid day. My MRS on head and spine came out good, no nerve problems, so I'm still miffed. Its been three weeks and half with these symptoms. Its likemy body has within a month slowed down and I've aged to a much older age (I'm just 39). So I know what it feels to go without a diagnosis. I've found that alot of people on this health board have also have had tests with doctors basically dismissing their concerns.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2007, 11:15 AM   #3
(female)

Kim_blessed HB User

I think the difficulty is that you have been symptomatic with small changes in the brain that can not be detected by MRI. It takes time for the leisions to become apparent and MS has long been difficult to diagnose. You have to have two seperate attacks before they can even begin the diagnostic process. So it does not mean you are lying, or crazy, or that your doctor is incompentent. Its just that the medical roots of this disease are just beginning to be understood and the tools the have to aid with diagnosis are imperfect.

They way I look at it is, we are fortunate compared to those before us. 15 years ago there were no disease modifying drugs and people were given a much more hopeless picture. Even though the treatments that are offered now aren't without side effects, at least they are gaining a better understanding of the disease process. New advances are occurring and who knows what will be available around the corner.

As for symptoms and no diagnosis...it is hard. Keep a record of your symptoms, keep in touch with your physician and hopefully you will have a diagnosis as soon as it can be made. That will facilitate treatment options.

This is an awful disease process. It is frusterating for us who struggle with ever changing symptoms, and it must be difficult for physicians who wish they could help and come to a more expedient diagnosis.

Until then we can only do the best we can to offer each other support, encouragement and wisdom. Try to maintain your hope!

Kim

Last edited by Kim_blessed; 01-31-2007 at 11:20 AM.

Old 02-01-2007, 07:22 PM   #4
(female)

KIWI CHICK HB User

just hold on a minute here. There are all kinds of causes of numbness in the toes, and as you have not mentioned any other MS-like symptoms, and taking your age into account, I'd say its unlikely that MS is the cause. I don't understand why it can't be nerve damage as a result of poorly managed diabetes, as I have read many times that this is a common consequence of continual hypoglycemia. Two people I know - both with type 1, have this problem. Maybe your docs are doing the right thing and taking the time to rule out other possible causes - I wish all docs were so thourogh - this of course will take time, but till theyre sure, try not to make things worse for yourself by thinking about the worst case senario. Its great you can still play tennis and go for walks - keep it up

Old 02-03-2007, 08:11 AM   #5
(male)

Curly100 HB User

I have been diagnosed for over 20 years and the past 3 my toes are doing the same thing. My doctor says Baclofyn, after 3 months it does not do a darn thing, any ideas on medicine or excersize?

Closed Thread