It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2007, 07:53 AM   #1
(female)

hereinwi HB User
Unhappy Unexplainable Pain and Other Symptoms- Help!

Hello everyone,
I have a question for anyone who can answer. I have been having pain for around 5 years, since around the time I had my daughter. Unexplainable pain along with numbness in my face, hands and ankles (which swell and get cold too). I have cold shooting numbness up my spine and I have such stong pains in my legs (constant pain which is almost always there but goes away at times enough for me to only notice if I try) along with stiffness that is almost unbearable. I am only 27 and am unable to run without pain and have a hard time lifting my knees. Recently I have found myself getting lost in places I normally go or not knowing how to spell words that used to be simple for me to spell.I also have itching on my back and legs quite a bit and get somewhat restless since my legs hurt if I don't move them often enough. Oh and one more thing.. Constipation, AWFUL!! My doctor told me it is fibromyalgia but then said maybe it is a good idea to have a neurologist look at me. I am wondering if my symptoms are those of MS and very very scared to find out if I have it or not. My boyfriend is convinced I am too young to have MS. Please help!!

Old 03-07-2007, 11:25 AM   #2
(female)

tiredbunni HB User
Re: Unexplainable Pain and Other Symptoms- Help!

Hi,

You are not too young to get MS. I hope and pray that you don't have MS. Your symptoms could be many other diseases which has to be ruled out before a definite dx of MS is given. Swelling in your face, hands and ankles doesn't sound like fibro. Did you doctor do the tender points on you? You are suppose to have a 11 out of 18 to be dx with fibro. I was dx with fibro in 1992 and then with ME/CFS in 1994. Now with MS in 12/06. Write down your symptoms on paper and hand it to the neurogolist. That way you won't have try to remember them all. Let him/her do the tests. If you are not satisfied get second or third opinion. Just take a deep breath and take it one day at a time.
I am still adjusting to my dx of MS but I can only live and enjoy one day at a time. There is too much life to live to be worried. I hope you that you get the right dx quickly.

Bunni in SC
dx 12/06 MS
Avonex, Klonopin, Flexeril

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2007, 12:21 PM   #3
(female)

hereinwi HB User

Thank you so much for your response. My doctor diagnosed me with fibro by methods of my unknowing. He just basically said- well you hurt all the time, and you are young so we wouldnt think anything too severe might be going on. So he said it is fibro.. I have also been having attacks in the middle of the night where I can't breathe, I have to cough to catch my breath. He told me that those are panic attacks. Any idea what those might be? Oh yeah, and a lot of people post saying that their bodies feel bruised. I feel like that all the time. And like I can't grasp onto something very tight. I just can't do it.

Old 03-07-2007, 02:51 PM   #4
(female)

tiredbunni HB User

You are welcome. It seems like your doctor doesn't want to take the time to find out what is wrong. He sticks you in this catagory of fibro. I had my back hurt so bad and it was stiff, I could barely get out of bed the pain was that bad. My doctor said it was depression . Yeah, right.

You having attacks in the middle of the night (I assume your are sleeping) could be related to sleeping disorders. It sounds like you may have sleep apnea where a person stops breathing several times a night. They don't get a restful sleep. The feeling of bruised or being run off by a truck, is symptomic to fibro, ME/CFS and MS. I have felt that way many times. It is like a bad case of the flu. And your grasp sounds like a neurological problem. There could be weakness in your arm (s). Your neuro will run tests. My hands tingle, hurt and get numb a good bit of the time. However, I was negative on my evoked potentials (checks for nerve damage) for them. I have seen changes since then in my hands, some weakness. MS is so unpredicable but so was ME/CFS.

Please don't worry much. I would keep a journal of new symptoms as/if they occur, so you can tell neuro. You just have to play the waiting game as the neuro try to rule out other diseases. May it be a short wait.

Take care,

Bunni

Old 03-07-2007, 03:53 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

teacher2be HB User

tiredbunni..i have some questions. i think i have fibromyalgia, i believe i have had it for 6-7 years. never been dx just compared symptoms to friends that have it and just always thought what it was. always have that flu like feeling. anyways i did not know the symptoms of fibro and ms were so similar until i have been reading on internet about ms. can you tell me since you said you have fibro and ms, what the difference in your symptoms are. i guess my question is when you had fibromyalgia and then when dx with ms how were the symptoms different to where you knew something else was wrong if this makes sense. thank you

Old 03-07-2007, 07:42 PM   #6
(female)

tiredbunni HB User

Teacher2be, I have done the same thing. I wanted to know the difference between pain in fibro versus MS since I have both. I learn a great deal studying the symptoms of all fibro, ME/CFS and MS. I also have TMJ. The symptoms cross over it was confusing.

For me the first symptom was when I didn't recongize my son. He said I was just staring at him as though I didn't know him. I didn't. I told my neuro and he was checking for stroke or seizure by MRI.

Next, after my ambulatory EEG was non-conculsive, I was scheduled for a second one. I told him about my double vision and sudden change in vision. I just bought new glasses and had them four days. I was typing on the computer when everything blurred, then double vision, feeling weird in my head for awhile. After it was over, it was like I never changed my prescription in my glasses. With that information, my neuro order the evoked potentials. I did all three parts. It came back abnormal for eyes and legs. I knew it meant I had nerve damage.

I realized that I had problems with bowel incontinence for nine years, double vision for 8 years and my legs weakness that I thought was just fatigue for awhile. I already had balance problems in 1991 when I got hurt and I still have it. I have all kinds of allegries, chemical sensities..etc. There was a booklet on ME/CFS and I marked off almost all the symptoms. After such a long time, you think everything is fibro or CFS. And when treated by doctors with disbelief, you just don't want to bring up anything else.

My MRI was clear, evoked potentials abnormal. I had a spinal tap it was negative. But I had a recent episode of weakness in leg within six months of my eyes. I couldn't step up from my right leg and ask my son to pull me in. With that I was dx MS.

I notice now the tingling, numbness in legs, burning feet and hands. My right leg drags behind. Sometimes face, lips go numb and it could just be one side of the body. I still have double vision and usually get dizzy or off balance with it. I also have bladder incont. I just had procedure to correct it but I still leaks walking. That is related to MS. The pain is in my quads, sides of thighs and it gets tight feeling. I had my legs go stiff during treatment. I could stand but barely walk. I am in physical therapy to help with gait and mobility.

What are your symptoms? With MS, the blurred, double vision, loss of vision is the first sign or symptom of MS. If you are experiencing any weakness in your limbs, you need to have that checked out.

I should have told my doctor right away about the double vision and the bowel incont. Those definitely were not fibro related but I waited.

I hope you don't have fibro or MS. I hope I answer your questions. It is something I think about also especially when I have all these other symptoms. I guess when there is a worsening of a symptom, I will let my neuro know about it and not wait.

I wish you the very best.

Bunni

Last edited by tiredbunni; 03-07-2007 at 07:47 PM.

Closed Thread