It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2007, 01:41 PM   #1
(female)

Tasia9 HB User
Is there such a thing as mild ms?

Hi everyone,
I have not written in a long time but I have been accessing the site on a regular basis and must say that it has been so helpful. First I have a question, is there such a thing as mild ms?
Last July I had my first MRI of spine and brain which showed a lesion on my spine with demylenation ocurring and a spot on my brain. My family doctor got the results back from the neuro office and notified me to come in for an appointment in which she told me that I had ms. Then she made another appointment with my neuro for the next day. I went and she confirmed that I had a lesion on my spine with demylenation and a spot on my brain with no demylenation. Also have protruding disc. She told me that I had a good prognosis, that I had an 80% chance of not having a neurological episode within the next 5 years. If she had found more lesions she said that I would have had an 80% chance that I WOULD experience another neuro episode within 5 years. Basically she told me not to worry and scheduled me for another MRI in 6 months, (which happens to be tommorrow). So I walked out of her office thinking that I had probable ms(something that I assumed but was not told) and when I went back to my family doctor on an unrelated issue, she told me that I did have ms. Everything was a blurr to me when I talked to my neuro and I guess that I should have asked her more questions but I can hardly remember our conversation that day. I just no that I felt dazed and confused. While at the neuro it was suggested that I take medication for spasms however, I declined. Anyways, since my neuro episode over a year ago, I have weakness in my right leg, numbness in my leg, abodomen and upper back, although it has improved, it has not gone away. I am going to physio for a sprained ankle as well as leg weakness, my ankle has improved however my overall weakness in leg remains the same. The symptoms that I experience now are, fatigue, muscle spasms & cramping in both legs and feet. nerve sensitivity to heat, numbness in the right side of my face, nerve pain on the tips of my fingers and toes as well as periods of congnitive difficulties. Does this make any sense? I ask this because, to look at me I appear fine. I do not require a walking aid, my gait is reasonably steady, although I do have to be very careful. I guess what I am saying is I do not look like I have ms (to people who do not have it). So then I second guess myself, maybe I don't have it. My office is right beside the local ms society here and I have gotten to know everyone pretty well. I have only told one person there about my situation and she has kept it confidential for me. I guess I feel guilty because I don't need a wheel chair, I don't need a walking aid, and there is one person 5 years younger than me that does require a walking aid to get her around. I know that I should take advantage of the fact that my office is right beside the ms office and ask all the questions that I can however, right now I am not ready and feel more comfortable writing to you guys. I am so sorry for writing such a long message, I guess I had a lot on my mind. Well tomorrow I am scheduled for another mri, wish me luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2007, 02:09 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

duzford HB User
Re: Is there such a thing as mild ms?

The degree of damage with MS can vary by person. My sister has shocks but no other signs and my friend's mom is wheel chair bound. It all depends n the severity and location of the dimylinazation. Be careful of back injuries which can worsen the condition.

Good luck!

Old 03-09-2007, 06:56 AM   #3
(female)

gib70 HB User

I did have a surgeon who was removing my gall bladder use the term 'mild ms' when describing my condition. I think that the severity really does just vary from person to person. I live in Europe and took a friend of mine touring all through one of the castles here. I was walking up and down steps, crawling up and down ladders. No one who doesn't know I have MS would ever guess. I will say that after that castle trip I could barely press the clutch down in my car

Basically, you can have MS and not show any outwardly signs you do. Most people with MS are ambulatory and remain so throughout their lives.

Old 03-09-2007, 11:50 AM   #4
(female)

Filipinone HB User

I also was diagnosed with what my neuro called "benign MS" back in June 2004. He did say that benign MS was a misnomer (sp) because it's not really benign, but in fact in it's infancy stages. I declined the medication for MS, because like Tasia, I had a few issues with numbness, but overall I'm fine.

Fast forward to Dec 2005. I went to the emergency room where they diagnosed me with Vertigo??? Or lack there of, which was causing extreme dizziness and for me to vomit for 9 straight days. (Sorry for being graphic) and my primary said that for my vertigo to become stable again, I would just need to wait it out. 3 weeks later I was fine.

Most recently, Oct 2006 my fingers became completely numb and continued to be this way until this day. After making an appointment with my neuro to begin taking Avonnex he informed me that the vertigo issue could be a symptom of MS.

So my conclusion is that even though MS is in it's infancy stages or mild stage, I would start the medication, because your body may not bounce back to being normal after a MS attack. I type a lot on the computer, and with the numbness on my fingers that will not go away, it's affecting my job performance.

That's just my 2 cents...I wish you the best...

Lisa (filipinone)

Old 03-09-2007, 03:17 PM   #5
(female)

Tasia9 HB User

Thank you for all your replies it has been very helpful to me. I just got back from seing my neuro and now she suggested I take baclofen for my muscle spasticity. So far I have been unwilling to take medication however, if it will help my spasms I will try anything. Also, after taking a more in depth history she is thinking that I have the relaxing remitting type and also suggested some drugs (rebif). We both agreed that because I feel that I am doing so well, maybe I shouldn't take anything unless I have another major episode. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated
thanks,
Tasia

Old 03-13-2007, 01:44 AM   #6
(female)

gib70 HB User

The earlier your start treatment the better. Starting on Rebif now might prolong having that major attack for a while.

Closed Thread