It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2007, 08:55 PM   #1
(female)

april15 HB User
I think my doctor made the wrong diagnosis

I don't agree with my doctor's diagnosis. After many many tests, he has decided that I don't have MS, but that I have Polymyalgia Rheumatica. I don't agree. I had the guts to tell him I thought he was wrong when he diagnosed me with tennis elbow in January. But I just don't know what to do with this ridiculous diagnosis! He even said he is stumped and that I am too young to have PMR. I am 42 and it's supposedly very rare in people under 60. Plus, i don't have most of the symptoms. The reason he diagnosed me is because my sed rate is 56 and my c-reactive protein is 28. My RF and ANA were negative, so he doesn't believe it's Lupus or RA. I am still not convinced it's not MS. I had a clear brain and spine MRI, so he just ruled MS out. Before he sent me for the MRI, he said if it came back clear, it didn't necessarily rule out MS. Honestly, i am afraid what he really stamped in my chart was HYPOCHONDRIAC!

I have many symptoms of MS, but nothing severe enough apparently. The doctor put me on prednisone and suddenly i feel better, except my left arm still feels like there is a knife in there. For three months my left arm has been useless and in severe pain. I know i have inflammation because of the sed rate and CRP being so high. He didn't really want to hear all of my symptoms! I could easily list off over 20 MS symptoms that i have, and yet i was only able to tell him 4 or 5...he didn't want to hear any more, said it wasn't helpful!

I'm fed up, and want to stop going to the doctor. I almost feel like I know more than he does.

Has anyone else flat out told a doctor you thought he was wrong?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2007, 02:00 PM   #2
(female)

OliverBocca HB User
Re: I think my doctor made the wrong diagnosis

I have told doctors "I know what I feel" and "I know I'm not crazy" and "I'm not making this up" but they were mainly to male gynos who have no clue... I use female gynos now. With my own MS, I might as well have had a stamp of MS on my forehead.... all of my signs were classic MS. Fortunately, my primary doctor and Neuro were 100 percent sure almost from the beginning that it was MS on me.

I hope your issue is resolved without driving you crazy!

Old 08-30-2007, 07:55 PM   #3
(male)

timehri22 HB User

April;
I'm 49 and have been diagnosed with PMR.My Dr. told me it's rare for people under 55 to have but it happens! On an earlier post here someone 31 years old was diagnosed with it.I have just started taking prednisone an Im feeling better but taking this stuff for a longtime is eventually going to be almost as bad as the PMR itself. Im going to start looking for alternative ways to treat this. Ive heard that fish oil might help some. Anyway there has to be something beside prednisone and if you hear of something please post it.I hope you find whats bugging you and I hope that you feel better. Good Luck

Old 08-31-2007, 08:58 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

datgrlstef HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by april15 View Post
I don't agree with my doctor's diagnosis. After many many tests, he has decided that I don't have MS, but that I have Polymyalgia Rheumatica. I don't agree. I had the guts to tell him I thought he was wrong when he diagnosed me with tennis elbow in January. But I just don't know what to do with this ridiculous diagnosis! He even said he is stumped and that I am too young to have PMR. I am 42 and it's supposedly very rare in people under 60. Plus, i don't have most of the symptoms. The reason he diagnosed me is because my sed rate is 56 and my c-reactive protein is 28. My RF and ANA were negative, so he doesn't believe it's Lupus or RA. I am still not convinced it's not MS. I had a clear brain and spine MRI, so he just ruled MS out. Before he sent me for the MRI, he said if it came back clear, it didn't necessarily rule out MS. Honestly, i am afraid what he really stamped in my chart was HYPOCHONDRIAC!
The last time I was in to see my neuro, she also told me that I had Polymyalgia Rheumatica. My sed rate was slightly elevated, but when I went to a different doctor to ask about this ridiculous diagnosis, he told me flat out that my sed rate was not anywhere near high enough for the neuro to dx me with that. Not to mention, I'm only 33.. and while some of the symptoms I have might fit, a lot do not. I had been in to see her about all sorts of bizarre health problems, but all tests done to that point- MRI's, EMG/NCV, blood work.. all came back negative. The only thing the MRI found (the second time around) were some thyroid nodules. At first she suspected demylenating (sp?) disease, but because I have no lesions, she doubts it is MS. (My mom has MS, and I have a lot of the same health problems). And she also doubted Fibromyalgia, unless it was some rare form of it. LOL I was not given any steroids, though. I was on Neurontin, Topamax, and Elavil for nerve pain (not all at the same time). The last time I saw her, she said she was going to send me for an allergy test (to see if Celiac Disease might be the cause for my problems). Then she was going to refer me to a rheumy. But after that rediculous diagnosis, and the uneventful allergy testing, I knew it was time to stop seeing her.

I don't know if this explains all my health problems - such as sudden numbness in the entire left side of my body- but I found a doctor who properly tested me for Lyme Disease, and my results came back positive. I still wonder if there is anything else involved, but for now, I'm hoping that antibiotics will help resolve most of my issues.

Old 09-01-2007, 11:54 AM   #5
(female)

moore170 HB User

There is so much to be said for second opinions.

Last edited by moore170; 09-01-2007 at 11:55 AM.

Closed Thread