It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2007, 03:58 PM   #1
(female)

orchidflower24 HB User
Nerve pain in teeth

I was diagnosed with MS, and it is affecting my sensory system, causing pain, instead of any loss of function. Supposedly, my nerves are hyperactive. Has anyone here had a lot of problems with their teeth, specifically, having to have root canals? I have had many in the past, and in the last two years, once a year. Now, this past two weeks I am having pain again in a molar tooth, which just had a root canal last summer.
Also, does anyone have lots of nerve pain?

Old 03-28-2007, 09:04 AM   #2
(female)

joanna66 HB User
Re: Nerve pain in teeth

How acute is your pain? I had face pain on one side that would hurt from 15 mins to 3 hrs on and off for 10 months. I would go to the dentist and was told it was not my teeth. I went to the sinus doctor and had my sinuses gutted in an attempt to stop the pain, but that did not help. I went back to my dentist and insisted on a root canal in the tooth that I thought the pain was coming from. My dentist protested, but did as I requested. It did not stop the stabbing pain. My dentist copied a paper from his medical reference book about a brain nerve disorder called Trigeminal Neuralgia. TN affects the three main nerves to each side of the face. The pain was only on my right side. My dentist suggested I go to the neurologist. My diagnosis was confirmed and I was given Tegrotol to aid in pain relief. My body rejected Tegrotol, for other reasons, so I stopped taking it and try to deal with the flare-ups as the come... not all the time, thank heaven. Anyhow, I began to notice other things that were happening to me. Confusion, forgetting what I wanted to say in the middle of my sentence, but the scariest was when I stood up at work to go to the fax machine and my brain was telling my feet to move, but my feet were frozen. It lasted about 20 - 25 seconds, but it seemed like forever. I searched the web for a TN connection and that is when I found out about MS causing TN in a some patients. I went back to my neurologist who suggested we do an MRI. Shortly after my MRI, I found this website. It was a Godsend because I could piece together other things that I experienced, but never figured were of importance because I blamed the experiences on something else, i.e. itching or stumbling. Best of luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2007, 08:20 AM   #3
(female)

Gracie88 HB User

Hello Orchidflower24, I have had sever nerve pain in my teeth aslo, and Iam glad I saw this post becaues, Thought it was just me. Had sever pain in upper left side went to dentist did x-rays and everything was fine, the pain was so bad that when I was at the dentist I was crying and my upper teeth hurt so bad, he was at a lost so he just gave me an injection on the numbing agent they use for rootcanels and it was instant releif, I get it now and again but not like it was and I pray I never feel that pain again. Good luck to you
take care

Gracie88

Old 05-04-2007, 06:42 PM   #4
(female)

miamigal HB User

I have a friend who experienced a similar pain, he described it as an electric shock feeling that wouldn't go away for long periods of time. He even had many root canals and finally ended up with most of his teeth being pulled before getting an MS diagnosis (based on other symptoms). The dr. told him to put ice on it and he said it gave him some relief, he also began taking pain medications, although they never seemed to help very much.

Old 05-05-2007, 07:09 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

lilc HB User

INTERESTING! I didn't realize there could be a connection between MS and dental pain. I should NOT have tooth pain as about a third of my teeth have had root canals. Still I sometimes get the pain that forebodes a root canal. Because I am now self-employed, don't have dental insurance and don't get paid if I don't work, I've been avoiding the dentist for years (eight, actually, before my visit earlier this week!) I've tried a mouth guard (available at the drugstore) but didn't notice that helping with pain. It lasts about a week, then very suddenly is gone!
The x-rays a couple of days ago showed nothing wrong (except for the broken filling and crown I went in for).

Old 05-05-2007, 05:12 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

duttin HB Userduttin HB User

I also get nerve pain in my teeth,but also pain where my back molars use to be.My dentist thinks I'm nuts.But it's true sensory pain.

Closed Thread