It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2007, 09:59 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

CandP HB User
Conflicting Results...Is It MS or Is It Lupus?

As a precaution, doctor took blood to completely rule out other diseases after diagnosis of MS just last week.

Now test for Lupus didnt come back positive, but wasn't ruled out either. After MS diagnosis, could it also be Lupus? Or both? What is going on? Diagnosis of MS came after swelling in the brain was found...any advice, please?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2007, 01:16 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

michael178 HB User
Re: Conflicting Results...Is It MS or Is It Lupus?

I hope you are not looking for another DX. Just adjusting to MS is going to occupy you for a while. The MS Society has offices in quite a few places, I recommend that you contact them, and ask if they have or know about support groups in your area. They usually are very informative, and fun.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2007, 01:33 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

CandP HB User

So it could also be Lupus? Or is it just s/th they are trying to rule out....I don't understand.

We are still with one doctor's diagnosis and we are currently looking to go for a second...everything is happening so fast...just hard to take in at once....

Old 03-27-2007, 01:43 PM   #4
(female)

c57s53 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandP View Post
So it could also be Lupus? Or is it just s/th they are trying to rule out....I don't understand.

We are still with one doctor's diagnosis and we are currently looking to go for a second...everything is happening so fast...just hard to take in at once....
Hi CandP,
I feel for you. Neither diagnosis is easy to swallow. I have heard that having one autoimmune disease means you could also have another. I have heard of people having both MS and Lupus together, but I don't know of anyone on this board that has both. I have Lupus, but not MS......however, having said that, i was initially diagnosed with MS verbally, but then that diagnosis was taken away and many years later Lupus was diagnosed. I find it amazing how the symptoms are basically the same....the only 1 I don't have so far with everything I have read here is drop foot......and I don't want it. Im thinking that both of these diseases are very difficult to diagnose with certainty so a second opinion can never hurt. I wish you the best of luck. Just try not to dwell on this too much and make every effort to go on with your life as normally as possible, otherwise you will loose yourself to it. Remember.....most people with MS AND Lupus have a mild form of it and you can live a very normal life with little disruption. AVOID STRESS!!!!!

Connie

Old 03-27-2007, 02:48 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

CandP HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by c57s53 View Post
Hi CandP,
I feel for you. Neither diagnosis is easy to swallow. I have heard that having one autoimmune disease means you could also have another. I have heard of people having both MS and Lupus together, but I don't know of anyone on this board that has both. I have Lupus, but not MS......however, having said that, i was initially diagnosed with MS verbally, but then that diagnosis was taken away and many years later Lupus was diagnosed. I find it amazing how the symptoms are basically the same....the only 1 I don't have so far with everything I have read here is drop foot......and I don't want it. Im thinking that both of these diseases are very difficult to diagnose with certainty so a second opinion can never hurt. I wish you the best of luck. Just try not to dwell on this too much and make every effort to go on with your life as normally as possible, otherwise you will loose yourself to it. Remember.....most people with MS AND Lupus have a mild form of it and you can live a very normal life with little disruption. AVOID STRESS!!!!!

Connie

Thank you so much for your insight. I understand how the initial aspect of confronting any disease looks horrific.
My brother is the one suffering. He just turned 27. He was having numbess symptoms on/off for a year. Anyway, we are getting the results in a week from now. I too, have read that Lupus is very similiar - is Lupus treatable? If so, how? I understand it attacks organs? Yes, everything is at a mild/preliminary state at the moment. It would be terrifying to find out the he suffers from BOTH...if so, what is the prognosis, you think?

I'm really getting scared now....

Last edited by CandP; 03-27-2007 at 02:49 PM.

Old 03-27-2007, 03:46 PM   #6
(female)

c57s53 HB User

CandP,
Please try not to worry so much. I think you'll find that once a diagnosis is made you will surprise yourself with inner strength you never knew you had, and you'll find it for your brother's sake so you can be strong for him. I honestly don't think they will give him a double diagnosis.....just because of the shock factor, but if he did have both MS and Lupus, they would most likely wait and give one at a time. With Lupus, like MS there are many types and some more serious than others. SLE is the more serious type and it can invade the organs. That even comes in varying degrees from having only 1 flare in your lifetime to all out invading your muscle, tissue and organs. It is treated with Plaquenil, an anti-malarial, that is supposed to help with the flares so they are not so debilitating. My Rheumatologist says it helps "with the redness.".....whatever that means. Plaquenil is just the beginning though. I am on steroids often for numerous flare-ups like arthritis, asthma, muscle pain. Also pain medication which I have decided not to take any of it. I double up on Tylenol PM to sleep and suffer during the day or take a simple tylenol or motrim to take the edge off. Then there are anti-cancer drugs that are given if the disease is bad and affecting you and organs to a serious degree. Depending on where the disease is attacking your body and what your symptoms are will determine the best way to treat and each person with Lupus is different....they may experience some of the same problems and symptoms from time to time but this disease also mimicks so many other illnesses that doctors have to rule out these things with each flare in order to know how to treat....is it autoimmune or is it actually another medical problem? My problems with Lupus are digestive, diabetes, neuropathy, arthritis, liver and lung involvement, Fibromyalgia and I consider myself very lucky to not have a very serious case of it....so far anyway. I have such things as muscle spasms, heat sensitivity, sun sensitivity and feeling like I have the flu often with fevers. My main problem is with infections when i have a flare and the infection can start out being bronchitis but quickly turns to Pneumonia, asthma, Hepatitis, etc. and goes from 1 thing to another leaving the average person to wonder what in the world is wrong with them and before diagnosis I knew my immune system was very compromised but I just didn't know why. I have had a lot of minor flares but ony 2 major flares where I was very sick, so I am grateful for that. Just tell your brother to avoid stress as much as humanly possible because it will bring on a flaer, and the more stressed out, the more severe the flare. Tell him not to worry about the diagnosis....they can both be treated and may simply be a very mild form or either or both illnesses. You just have to ask yourself..."Can I do anything to change this, and if not....don't worry about it. Take it as it comes and deal with it without letting it run your life. It isn't worth it....life is too short to let any illness control you. Learn everything you can about it so you are educated enough to know when things are going on, but not enough to take over your life. At the first sign of infection go straight to the doctor so it doesn't get out of control.
Please keep in touch and let us know how your brother makes out.

Best wishes,
Connie

Old 03-28-2007, 02:50 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

CandP HB User

Hi C57s53, thanks so much for your input once again. We will know for sure what the results are in 5 days, don't know why it takes a whole week for this. It's just very nerveracking. I understand he is not the only patient, but a whole week for one simple blood test seems like they're stretching it too far.

However, the doctor left us with an indication that he's 90 percent sure it is MS. I know its not the end yet, and this illness can be controlled for many years. But he left us in a cloud of doubt that the first blood test didn't come back negative for lupus or lymes disease, and this is what he's re-tesing.

I think we are seeing some progession in the disease - my brother has complained his walking is not the same, and sometimes he has felt his knees crack/bend on him while standing. He also complained the other day that he had a little alcohol and it bothered him like none before.

It is something we have to accept and get used to, which is the hardest.

I've been meaning to ask, he had complained of numbness, tiredness, very small loss of control in the right hand these last two years, on/off for months at a time. If it is assumed he has had it for two years, undiagnosed, could it be that we lost a lot of time being that we left it untreated?
It really upsets me when my mother cries about this theory all the time, whereas I believe we haven't missed out on much time at all. Any thoughts?

Old 03-31-2007, 09:24 AM   #8
(female)

legallygothic HB User
Unhappy Re: Conflicting Results...Is It MS or Is It Lupus?

I know I'm new to the board, but I have a diagnosis (fairly new) of SLE, and SCLE...and the jury is still out on MS. I looked at the rheumatologist yesterday and said, "Please tell me you don't seriously think I could have MS on top of this?" SHe said, "Well, anything is possible. You have some neuro symptoms that aren't what we typically see with lupus." I'm scared to death.

Old 04-01-2007, 01:09 PM   #9
(male)

unclesam612 HB User

I Was Dxed With Ms And After 6-8 Months They Ran Tests For Lupus The Nero Said Many Ppl Have Been Wrongly Dxed With Ms When It Wes Actually Lupus They Are Very Much Alike.mine Was Still Ms But Atleast I Know It Is Just Ms And Not Both.always Best To Be Safe Than Sorry.best Of Luck

Old 04-01-2007, 03:35 PM   #10
(female)

c57s53 HB User

To Legally gothic,
What kinds of neuro do you have that makes your Rheumatologist think it could also be MS? I would love to hear from you.

Thanks,
Connie

Closed Thread