It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2007, 11:13 PM   #1
(female)

joanna66 HB User
Question Lamictal side effects mimick MS symptoms?

Last July, I began having neurological problems (diagnosed w/ Trigeminal and occiptial neuralgia). Since that time, I pieced together problems that Iíve had since 2004. Now they are getting worse. I have taken Lamictal for the past 4 years for Bipolar disorder (it saved my life and continues to stabilize my moods). Started with 100mg for first 3 years, but increased to 300mg per day... 100mg in morning and 200mg night. BUT some of the side effects of this drug mimick symptoms of MS which include: Memory loss, confusion, hand tremors, feelings of exhaustion, loss of balance, blurred vision.

I also experience other neurological symptoms that are not side effects, which include: Body stiffness, drift into a wall or object, unable to maintain body temperature (cold hands/feet), hands go numb, out of breath, sharp muscle pain, tripping over feet, tight/stiff wrists, loss to hearing, changes in eyesight, electric-shock like pain on right side of face only., etc.

Has anyone else used Lamictal for treatment? It is also used for epilespy and cronic neurological pain. With years of use, can side effects become more visible? My MRI was within "normal range" so I'm trying to justify what I'm going through to prove I'm not insane.

Many thanks!

Old 04-24-2007, 03:03 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

mysticohl HB User
Re: Lamictal side effects mimick MS symptoms?

I have been looking around for information on the same thing, as in side effects and safety of this med. I am hoping someone will soon post!! Some seem to like it and has helped, but I am so nervous about taking anti-d's. =\

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2007, 09:53 AM   #3
(female)

joanna66 HB User

I still haven't found any correlation yet. I'll let you know if I do.

Old 07-29-2007, 03:17 AM   #4
(female)

Jo Jo 1025 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanna66 View Post
Last July, I began having neurological problems (diagnosed w/ Trigeminal and occiptial neuralgia). Since that time, I pieced together problems that Iíve had since 2004. Now they are getting worse. I have taken Lamictal for the past 4 years for Bipolar disorder (it saved my life and continues to stabilize my moods). Started with 100mg for first 3 years, but increased to 300mg per day... 100mg in morning and 200mg night. BUT some of the side effects of this drug mimick symptoms of MS which include: Memory loss, confusion, hand tremors, feelings of exhaustion, loss of balance, blurred vision.

I also experience other neurological symptoms that are not side effects, which include: Body stiffness, drift into a wall or object, unable to maintain body temperature (cold hands/feet), hands go numb, out of breath, sharp muscle pain, tripping over feet, tight/stiff wrists, loss to hearing, changes in eyesight, electric-shock like pain on right side of face only., etc.

Has anyone else used Lamictal for treatment? It is also used for epilespy and cronic neurological pain. With years of use, can side effects become more visible? My MRI was within "normal range" so I'm trying to justify what I'm going through to prove I'm not insane.

Many thanks!
You mentioned "Lamictal" I want to tell you I have the exact symptoms you have mentioned, I have recently under gone an MRI I will get the results this week, I have had a loud roaring in my ears I went to an ear nose and throat Doc, he found nothing and suggested I see a neurologist he suspecting MS However I have the exact symptoms, I am currently on Lamictal, prior to being on this, I was having these symptoms, they have progressed I don't know if it's MS, although I have cried for the last tow weeks, I have insomnia for most my life they are relating this as well. I am more clumsy the ever. bumping into doors loosing my balance, blurred vision I've had before off and on has gotten worse, tired all the time don't want to clean house , also I have mood swings they are unbelieveable, I've lost my job unable to keep one as a matter of fact, my whole life is in a shambles loosing my husband to divorce is the worst. dose anyone know or relate to what I'm saying?

Last edited by Jo Jo 1025; 07-29-2007 at 03:35 AM. Reason: Lamictal side effects or MS

Closed Thread