It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2007, 10:39 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bearygood HB UserBearygood HB User
Update on Glucosamine-like Supplement for Treating MS

Link preapproved by moderator1

[url]http://today.uci.edu/news/release_detail.asp?key=1612[/url]

Old 05-29-2007, 11:34 AM   #2
(female)

Heddi HB User
Re: Update on Glucosamine-like Supplement for Treating MS

I believe glucosamine is a major ingredient in Joint Juice, maybe I should start drinking it. Does anyone know if this is the same thing?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2007, 05:47 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi, Heddi. Wish it was that simple! Don't know about "joint juice" but yes, Glucosamine is often used in treatment of arthritis and joint inflammation conditions. I HAVE read about people taking Glucosamine supplements for MS but I don't know the dose or if it's really effective in that form. Its anti-inflammatory action might help in conjunction with other things but I doubt that's "THE" answer. (The majority of natural treatment protocol for MS is anti-inflammatory supplements.) The thing they're talking about in this article is N-acetylglucosamine (GlcNAc), which is similar to Glucosamine. Still exciting though!

Old 05-30-2007, 06:33 AM   #4
(female)

desperate1 HB User

My husband uses glucosamine chondroitin daily--he has something called osgood schlatters, which is an inflammation of the bony protrusion below the knee and is very painful. He says it helps him tremendously. I took it for a while but I think I had a reaction to the sulfate compound in the glucosamine because I broke out in a rash. But he swears it's the gluco-chondroitin combo that works for him and not just glucosamine itself, not sure why. Just thought I'd chime in. This seems like it works for some but not others. I know folks with fibromyalgia who swear by it.

Old 05-30-2007, 06:48 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Always great to know when people feel their supplements work. Thanks for posting that! Interesting about the sulfate -- I know that a lot of people are sensitive to it, even in wine! All this stuff is so complicated -- I know that the molecular structure has to analyzed and broken down to isolate the elements that might be effective and even research different combos. Just glad that people continue to work on this stuff. Hopefully as a better understanding is reached, new and safer options for treatment may present themselves. Wouldn't that be wonderful??!!

Last edited by Bearygood; 05-30-2007 at 06:56 AM.

Closed Thread