It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2007, 12:42 PM   #1
(female)

klc23mom HB User
Does anyone's face get numb?

HI, I thought since I have kinda gotten to know everybody a little on here the last couple days, I could start comparing symptoms... I'm not sure I have MS... I may be in denial but I've been sure I've had things in the past and it would be confirmed otherwise so I figure this will be the same.... and I'm just nuts.... which I know I'm not..... you can't make these kinda symptoms up....

I was just wanting to see if anyone in any stage of this disease had tingling in the face, lips, forehead..... and eyes that felt numb and when the numb eyes happened your vision got really blurry???

Is memory lapses also something that is common along with having a hard time speaking almost like you get stuck on your words and studder???

Also pain in legs that is worse then all of the other pain in your other muscles???

please compare... I know it can be different in everybody...

Kristen

Old 06-03-2007, 02:46 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

zandvoort HB User
Re: Does anyone's face get numb?

Hi klc- ABSOLUTELY! on the facial numbness. My lips were numb on and off for about 3 weeks then it crept up my face to my forehead and major pain in my ears one afternoon. It was really scary! Face has been numb ever since with pressure in head and ears- 8 months. A couple months after that my yongue went numb. Things taste kind of funny sometimes- bitter and fizzy. I do not have a dx.
As you say, different with everybody but I know how nice it is to know you are not alone. I also have blurred vision about 5-10 feet depth. My legs and arms are similar weakness levels. It is one of the things that makes me think it may NOT be MS- too systemic. If lesions were causing my problems, they would have to be everywhere!LOL!
One more thing- the most painful part of my body is what I have been using. So, If I have been walking, my legs hurt most. If typing, my arms, etc. does that happen to you?

Good luck on your dx journey- I start my 3rd Neuro tomorrow. Hope he's a keeper!

Last edited by zandvoort; 06-03-2007 at 02:47 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2007, 02:58 PM   #3
(female)

beagleboy HB User

I was having patchy numbness in my face that would come on go. The nuero thought it might be from the Topamax the other nuero had put me on for headaches so he had me stop taking it. It's been 6 weeks since I stopped but the same numbness is still. Headaches came back, too.

Old 06-03-2007, 05:25 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

lilc HB User

I haven't had much trouble with facial numbness, but during the "severe L'Hermitte's" time the back of my tongue was numb. Have had the back of my head go numb and my chin, too, but not for long spells.

The memory lapses and trouble getting words out, now THAT I've had MUCH trouble with! I was doing radio part time for a few years before my dx. I said some pretty funny stuff, and it was NOT a ccomedy sho! Aslo have trouble typing. Ordinarily I would go back and fix those typos I just made, but thought a real-time exapmle would be some comfort!

And pain. I have bouts of severe pain in my legs and feet mainly.

I do have MS. But I did have to go through the "ruling out everything else" process, as it wasn't a slam-dunk case. Where are you at in the process?

Old 06-03-2007, 05:28 PM   #5
(female)

tiredbunni HB User

Hi KLC,

I have had parts of my face go numb. I had my lips go numb/tingle
and my tongue. It doesn't last long. It comes and goes.
Sometimes it will be the right side and other times the left. I had just the right side of my face like cut down the middle go numb. It is strange. I just get a bit concern when the numbness is in my mouth that it doesn't spread
down my throat.

My eyes feel funny but I wouldn't say numb - pain yes just
in the left eye. I don't want another attack of ON. I am going
to upgrade my glasses. It has been almost a year and I have
not got back my acquity of vision I lost. I am believing that
my new prescription will last longer than 4 days.

I wish you the best.

Bunni
dx RRMS 12/06
Avonex, Klonopin, Flexeril, Skelaxin

Old 06-03-2007, 07:02 PM   #6
(female)

klc23mom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilc View Post
I haven't had much trouble with facial numbness, but during the "severe L'Hermitte's" time the back of my tongue was numb. Have had the back of my head go numb and my chin, too, but not for long spells.

The memory lapses and trouble getting words out, now THAT I've had MUCH trouble with! I was doing radio part time for a few years before my dx. I said some pretty funny stuff, and it was NOT a ccomedy sho! Aslo have trouble typing. Ordinarily I would go back and fix those typos I just made, but thought a real-time exapmle would be some comfort!

And pain. I have bouts of severe pain in my legs and feet mainly.

I do have MS. But I did have to go through the "ruling out everything else" process, as it wasn't a slam-dunk case. Where are you at in the process?
Well, I'm just getting started.... I had my blood work done Friday and I go for my MRI this coming Friday... thanks for the real time example.... I make those mistakes to but I automatically fix them as I'm messing them up.... if that makes sense and I slow down when I type because I can't process my thoughts quick enough.... I suck at online chat.... but these boards I can do because it's not as fast paced ... lol ... thanks

klc

Old 06-03-2007, 07:10 PM   #7
(female)

klc23mom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zandvoort View Post
Hi klc- ABSOLUTELY! on the facial numbness. My lips were numb on and off for about 3 weeks then it crept up my face to my forehead and major pain in my ears one afternoon. It was really scary! Face has been numb ever since with pressure in head and ears- 8 months. A couple months after that my yongue went numb. Things taste kind of funny sometimes- bitter and fizzy. I do not have a dx.
As you say, different with everybody but I know how nice it is to know you are not alone. I also have blurred vision about 5-10 feet depth. My legs and arms are similar weakness levels. It is one of the things that makes me think it may NOT be MS- too systemic. If lesions were causing my problems, they would have to be everywhere!LOL!
One more thing- the most painful part of my body is what I have been using. So, If I have been walking, my legs hurt most. If typing, my arms, etc. does that happen to you?

Good luck on your dx journey- I start my 3rd Neuro tomorrow. Hope he's a keeper!
Thanks, it is nice knowing I'm not alone.... my numbness jumps around from all the places I mentioned.... I also have numbness that jumps around my entire body but I was a little worried about the facial numbness... sometimes if my lips are numb... I have an even harder time speaking, it can be really scary when you are geniunely trying to talk and can't.... as for the pain being worse when something is being used more... my legs will hurt more than they normally already do if I've done something but my other muscles seem to follow that.... it almost feels like I have worked out and I'm aching all over (mainly arms, hands, feet, back and legs hurt the most severe) so it doesn't really stick to the one part... it seems like just the exertion itself effects everything.... because I get hot and feel that I need to stop or I will pass out.... lol... sorry for the dramatics but that is how it is sometimes, anytime I'm in a flare....

klc

Old 06-03-2007, 07:12 PM   #8
(female)

klc23mom HB User

Thanks everybody.... I wasn't sure if that was going to be related or not.... my numbness jumps around on my face but I always seem to have some tingles somewhere on my face as in my feet and hands....

Old 06-03-2007, 07:42 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

lilc HB User

I do so wish the board had spell-check...PLEASE, let us know how things go. Since you are going for the MRI Friday, and since someone will probably recommend it at some point, get a copy of the MRI!

Old 06-04-2007, 03:37 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

zandvoort HB User

Hi klc-

The sx you described about just working out....Does it feel like that lactic acid burn you get when you over-work your muscles? I describe it like that to my docs and it really seems to explain to them how I feel. Weak, shaky, burning. But, add a sunburn on top of that cause my skin burns too and when I am really bad, add an ache in my bones. For me, the lactic acid burn feeling is a 24x7 thing. Sometimes worse than others though. Especially at night. 2-3 am is the worst which is weird cause I am not using the muscles! How can muscles hurt the most when you are not using them????LOL

Does that sound like what you are experiencing?

I used to swim 3x a week but had to stop because I cannot make it from one side of the pool to the other without my body just shutting down- cannot kick one more time. Now I do yoga- it helps with the balance and since it works with gravity, does not take much energy. If you are having trouble exercising, you may want to try it. I use Yoga Zone DVDs because they are 20 minute segments and they show beginner and intermediate poses at the same time so you can kind of customize your program.

Good luck on the MRI on Friday!

Old 06-04-2007, 07:15 AM   #11
(female)

klc23mom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zandvoort View Post
Hi klc-

The sx you described about just working out....Does it feel like that lactic acid burn you get when you over-work your muscles? I describe it like that to my docs and it really seems to explain to them how I feel. Weak, shaky, burning. But, add a sunburn on top of that cause my skin burns too and when I am really bad, add an ache in my bones. For me, the lactic acid burn feeling is a 24x7 thing. Sometimes worse than others though. Especially at night. 2-3 am is the worst which is weird cause I am not using the muscles! How can muscles hurt the most when you are not using them????LOL

Does that sound like what you are experiencing?

I used to swim 3x a week but had to stop because I cannot make it from one side of the pool to the other without my body just shutting down- cannot kick one more time. Now I do yoga- it helps with the balance and since it works with gravity, does not take much energy. If you are having trouble exercising, you may want to try it. I use Yoga Zone DVDs because they are 20 minute segments and they show beginner and intermediate poses at the same time so you can kind of customize your program.

Good luck on the MRI on Friday!
Well, I don't really get the burning.... I just have like a throbbing pain down to the bone.... the only burning sensation I get is usually in my feet if I've worked them to hard.... thanks for the good luck wish.... I hope you find your diagnosis soon as well!!!

God Bless!!

klc

Old 06-04-2007, 07:48 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

willo1980 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by beagleboy View Post
I was having patchy numbness in my face that would come on go. The nuero thought it might be from the Topamax the other nuero had put me on for headaches so he had me stop taking it. It's been 6 weeks since I stopped but the same numbness is still. Headaches came back, too.
I'm having a whole host of neuropathic problems in my legs, right arm, and face. Been like this over 2 years now. Well, I didn't notice as much numbness or tingling when I was Topamax for migraines. But since getting off the med in February I've noticed my episodes of numbness and tingling have increased. And each time, it's worse. Right now I have a message into my Neuro's nurse because I have weakness in my legs and my arm. Last week though, my right leg tingled and went numb in patches for like 3 days! The right side of my face was tingling too. It started with my jaw and ear then spread to my eye and forehead and lips. My eye felt numb but my vision never blurre, thank goodness! I wonder if the Topamax kept things from getting bad?

Old 06-05-2007, 06:19 AM   #13
(female)

AllyG HB User

Hi,

I also got the numb face thing before I was diagnosed. Whole left side of my face was numb & my GP put me on steroid tablets, laughed when I suggested it could be MS - then about a month later I ended up in hospital unable to walk. My diagnosis came fairly quickly after that!!

I dont think I've experienced any facial numbness since but I do notice that side of my face is less sensitive.

Ally.

Old 06-05-2007, 07:42 AM   #14
(female)

mnewhall HB User

klc,

yes, i have had some numbness in the lips and tongue before and the chin. the weirdest numbness has been my eyes (it felt just like the eye doc had put the numbing drops in to dilate my eyes). the other weirdest numbness came by way of my ear - the actual ear and ear canal and my hearing became muffled in it. i have constant numb spots on my upper back right over the spine that's about 3.5 inches in diameter and the left heel right as it starts to go to the arch.

I am undx'd at this time but doc is 95% sure it's MS. clean MRIs and LP and all blood work fine. he's ordering another brain MRI for November since it's been well over a year and a half since the last one.

please hang in there and keep a journal of your sx's. this is not the easiest disease to obtain a dx, but it is important for the docs to rule out other things first. so many sx's can overlap with other conditions. it is very hard to be patient and wait, but i've been waiting for about 16 years worth of sx's and they are only now starting to manifest themselves in a way that can help my doc with coming to a definite dx.

i have been dx'd with fibromyalgia, raynaud's, sjogren's, interstitial cystitis, hyper to hypothyroidism, endometriosis, etc, etc and the list goes on.

praying for peace and answers for you,
michelle

Old 06-05-2007, 05:58 PM   #15
Inactive
(female)

LupieOne HB User

Yes, I too get numb areas all over my body and on my face/head as well. My left temple area and cheek was where i first noticed it a few years back now. And now, I get the areas of numbness, hot and cold sensations all over the place at any given moment.
Its all just more pieces of this crazy puzzle i call my life. Maybe someday, it'll be complete-but most likely there will be a couple of pieces missing. lol

*hugs*
Cathy

Closed Thread