It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2007, 07:18 PM   #1
(female)

klc23mom HB User
headache after hot bath???

I don't get to take many baths, I have to take alot of quick in and out showers but today my mom had the kids for a little while and I decided to take advantage of that time and take a nice hot bath.... I was in there for an hour and my hands and feet kept going numb and I kept trying to shake them back to life but it was no use.... but I tried to enjoy the bath anyway and took a little nap.... when I got out of the bath, I got this horrible headache that I still have now and it's been 6 hours since the bath.... has anyone else had this happen or was it just a freak coincidence???? I haven't had this bad of a headache in a long time....

thanks for replys....

klc

Old 06-04-2007, 05:53 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: headache after hot bath???

Klc,
Im alittle surprised that you even took a bath. NO BATHS ANYMORE! Unless you like soaking in a cold tub...heat, is the number one culprit of MS. Anytime your body goes into warm water, or heat outside, you are risking demylenation and causing both headaches and other MS related symtoms. More than likely you didnt do any pemanent damage, as usually when the body cools down completely, the symtoms go away; however in the old days they used to dx MS with a hot bath, just to see what it would do to a person.
No more, okay? Youre headache was from the heated water which you were sitting in. SHould be feeling better by now, no? If not, please see your doctor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2007, 06:59 AM   #3
(female)

klc23mom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSNik View Post
Klc,
Im alittle surprised that you even took a bath. NO BATHS ANYMORE! Unless you like soaking in a cold tub...heat, is the number one culprit of MS. Anytime your body goes into warm water, or heat outside, you are risking demylenation and causing both headaches and other MS related symtoms. More than likely you didnt do any pemanent damage, as usually when the body cools down completely, the symtoms go away; however in the old days they used to dx MS with a hot bath, just to see what it would do to a person.
No more, okay? Youre headache was from the heated water which you were sitting in. SHould be feeling better by now, no? If not, please see your doctor.
Oh, gosh.... I really didn't realize.... my head has eased off a little but it's still there and I actually feel worse today than I felt yesterday.... my husband is getting tired of it... I wish I could just feel better.... I went 4 years keeping it to myself and putting fake smiles and grinning and bearing it basically but the flares were only coming every 3 to 6 months and in between flares I could deal with the achiness and numbing of hands and feet because it's just second nature when you feel this all the time... but when it flares up, it's so much worse and it's really hard to deal with... I don't know what it is but with all the symptoms, it's definately presenting itself as MS.... but I'm just worried that nothing will shop up on the MRI and it is MS but it won't be diagnosed and it will continue to get worse without being treated.... that's my biggest fear.... but the more I talk about my symptoms with everyone here, the more I realize it is MS and I'm not crazy.... do you have any suggestions about how to feel better without meds or ways to atleast hide how I feel from my husband because he doesn't understand.....

klc

Old 06-04-2007, 10:17 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Klc,
I feel like youre the only person Ive chatted with today! Thats okay. You sound the person who needs help the most today!!

Lets see, You want to know how to hide this? No. I honestly do not think there is a way. Having been in your shoes, I know the pain and misery you are feeling. I do think that as patients (with any disease) we should TRY not to complain unless its necessary. I think that when it IS necessary to ask for help, and need assistance, we get taken more seriously when we arent complaining 24-7. Does that make sense? The old "boy who cried wolf scenario".
As far as worrying about the Dx. Be careful what you wish for. I am dx with MS, and I wouldnt wish this on anyone...the other side of that is the sooner you get a dx, the sooner you get to start on MS Drugs, which will probably help to slow down the progression. I realize this. Im on Rebif, myself. However, there are many ways to rule out LOTS of other diseases, the B-12 you talked about, Lyme, brain infections, all can be ruled out...and usually with a Lumbar Puncture, or Spinal Tap. Have you had one? They arent as bad as they sound, but they are necessary. Even if legions do not show up, O-bands might show up in the spinal fluid...this is a test which you willl probably have at some point, if MRI shows nothing, and you might even have if MRI shows legions. I have over 50 legions on my MRI, and I still had a Spinal Tap which showed NOTHING! But, it did rule out Lyme.

You need to slow down friend. I know when you read many of my posts you are going to think that I am jumping on you. IM NOT. I honestly am worried about you. Although I truly feel for you, and understand your frustration at not having a dx, and your pain....you dont want this, and you dont want to self diagnos yourself. You cant do that. People will stop taking you seriously, doctors in particular. Ask on the board, how many people have been told they are "self diagnosing" or that "its all in their heads' becaue they reaserched the heck out of something, presented it to their doctors, and within seconds, ruined any chance of getting a doctors honest opinion? Doctors want to run tests, and watch for signs, they dont want us telling them what we think. We arent the ones who went to med school all those years...
Please know that we are here for you. We all care. I care. I want you to try to relax...anxiety is getting to you more than anything. Try to relax. (But not in a hot tub, ok? )
Nikki

Closed Thread