It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2007, 07:31 AM   #1
(female)

april15 HB User
Could high sed rate and crp mean MS?

Just wondering if anyone with MS has a high sed rate and a high CRP. My doctor doesn't think MS anymore because of my normal MRI, but he is stumped as to what is causing my bloodwork results. I still have many of the MS symptoms.

Old 06-04-2007, 07:48 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bearygood HB UserBearygood HB User
Re: Could high sed rate and crp mean MS?

Both of these will be elevated in the presence of infection or inflammation so they support evidence that something is happening in your body but unto themselves, do not act as definite markers for a specific condition.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2007, 03:27 PM   #3
(female)

Heddi HB User

High sed rates are often indicators of lupus. I have a friend who has lupus and before I was diagnosed with MS she thought my symptoms could have been lupus related however I did not have a high sed rate. Also cancer and other infections have high sed rates. I did some research online and found that information. I hope this helps somewhat.

Old 06-04-2007, 03:49 PM   #4
(female)

SRSuper HB User

High sed rate CAN be an indicator of auto-immunity, but a high ANA titer is an even better indicator.
HOWEVER
evidently theres like 15% of the population with wonky SED and ANAs.
but both can be indicators of autoimmunity or something.
however, there are plenty of people with MS, my neuro tells me, that dont have any of these blood indicators, but have a wicked MRI/lp.

Old 06-04-2007, 05:14 PM   #5
(female)

april15 HB User

Well, my ANA was negative as was my RF. I am seeing a rheumy now because of the high sed rate and high crp. The sed rate was 56 and the crp was 28, but since I've been on prednisone for a few months they have come down some, but are still high. Are the sed rate and crp elevated when someone has MS? Just wondering if that is why MS was ruled out.

The doctor said it could be cancer too but after doing a chest xray and some blood tests for colon and ovarian cancer, he hasn't mentioned it again.

Old 06-04-2007, 05:25 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bearygood HB UserBearygood HB User

april, remember that there is usually inflammation when MS symptoms present itself (when you're having an attack or exacerbation) but it's not necessarily chronic. That why I wrote that just having elevated levels won't necessarily be a marker for a specific condition, but tell your doctor that something is happening. I'm not positive but I would think that in things like Rheumatoid Arthritis you might find the levels chronically high. When I was in the middle of Optic Neuritis, my levels were high but now that I've turned the corner, they're down. This is one of the reasons that MS cannot be determined just by blood work. As I wrote in the other thread, lesions can be present on the c-spine and my doctor just told me they can also be on the thorasic. However, in most cases it seems like they only do the brain MRIs and don't continue on unless something shows there...

Sorry I can't be of more help -- it's all a little bit of a stumper! Wishing you well and hope that you get to the bottom of it! You'll see that plenty of people here are battling the same battle you are! Hang in there!

Closed Thread