It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2007, 02:41 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

LupieOne HB User
Question strange/odd electrical currents when yawning,deep breathing, etc? +update

Hi again.
I am still going through testing-still no answers as of yet, but they have ruled out Acoustic Neuroma at least, as well as any ear/hearing problems and any heart problems. My Lupus is still 'quiet'. Rheumy and ENT said to find a new Neuro and get a complete neuro work up, start to finish. oh fun.
I'm still having all the problems I mentioned when I first posted and some more new ones as well as worsening of old ones.
Like, when I am leaning my arms/hands on a table or counter or anything, I can feel the trembling in my entire arms! Even when I hold a book in my hand-the trembling gets worse and very noticable, even my kids have noticed many times.
sometimes when getting up out of bed, I can't stand-legs just turn rubber and I fall back down upon the bed. I have problems just walking even like I forget what to do next, I take a step, then can't remember how to make the other leg move!! yesterday, I was going up 4 steps into my daughter's school and after taking the first step up with my right leg, I actually stalled there for a sec and couldn't think of what came next!!! happened on Sunday too getting out of our car-took a few steps, got off-balance-righted myself, then couldn't take that first step forward with ease! Its like the signal isn't going to my brain to simply WALK!!!
Happens with my arms too when doing things-they get so very tired and weak even after just brusihng my hair or typing like this-which is gibberish till i fix so many typos-use to be able to type fast with hardly any mistakes, now is a slow and concentrating task and still I make so mnay mistakes and sometimes can't even remember what letter I need next! Not even worth fixing all the mistakes anymore.

Sometimes, it even feels like its an effort to concentrate on breathing! At night when trying to go to sleep, its like a pressure and its like I need to concentrate to make the air go in and out!!! Crazy stuff! I know my lungs are okay since i had chest xrays at the hospital and they said lungs look fine.
Still loose my balance, my arms and legs get feeling like they are weighted down, pins and needles and 'cold spots' all over, sometimes, they even feel more like I got burned on something.

About the electrical current thing-I'm wondering if anyone else gets this too...when I take a deep breath or yawn, I get strange sensations, I call it like an electrical current, that runs from my shoulders into the tips of my fingers and now, its happening down my legs too!! Its the weirdest thing-sometimes happens when I sneeze or cough too, but it always happens when I take a deep breath and then, on the exhale, it happens-same as when yawning-always at the end when letting the air out. Its been happening for at least a year now-just never thought to mention it to anyone before, figuring it was just too weird. but someone who has MS told me this sounds like atypical Lhermitte's sign. I do get the sensations when I bend my head forward, but its not as strong as the others.
So I'm wondering if anyone else gets the Lhermitte's sign from other things too?

I just want the docs to figure this all out. I'm so tired and weak more than ever. i have no energy anymore and just climbing a flight of stairs, grocery shopping, washing dishes, folding laundry, taking a shower, etc...all make me more shakey and weak and wiped out totally. I'm just tired of it all.

Thanks for putting up with reading this.
Cathy

Last edited by LupieOne; 06-05-2007 at 03:04 PM. Reason: forgot to add something

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2007, 03:24 PM   #2
(female)

peace40 HB User
Re: strange/odd electrical currents when yawning,deep breathing, etc? +update

Hi Cathy sorry to hear of your symptoms but can relate somewhat to the yawning sensation. I was dx recently with ms and had 10 lesions on mri and positive LP. I have had a strange sensation when yawning for years. I get a tinging, *****ly feeling from head to toe when I yawn, however nothing when I bend my head forward. So your message stood out in that I have tried to find anyone else with this sensation when yawning. I wish you all the best. I cant shead any other light on the situation other than to say your not alone and hopefully others might know what this sensation means. Also it seems there are many strange feelings symptoms that people with ms experience, hence no two cases are the same.

Last edited by peace40; 06-05-2007 at 03:26 PM.

Old 06-05-2007, 05:07 PM   #3
(female)

KTMorra HB User

Hi Cathy

I know we just met but I think you need a hug ((Hug))
Some weeks it feels like there is always something new going wrong or just getting weirder doesn't it? I too have the yawn/electric thing, and thought I was the only one. Its very hard to describe and you did a great job. I do get the Lhermettes sign when I tilt my head down, as well as when I'm in the shower and water goes into my ears (weird huh?) The shock goes right down to my fingers and toes.
My feet don't like to mind me very well either, I never know where they are most of the time. Even when I'm stretched out on the couch, I cant feel them enough to be able to tell if my legs are crossed without looking at them. Other times I can be just walking into the house or into work and they just stop and I cant feel them at all. Ive fallen a few times, it makes standing up kind of a challenge at times. This heat has made this happen a lot more often too.
I was just diagnosed in February but have been having neurological problems since 1997 when I lost the hearing completely in my left ear and its never come back. The final diagnosis came when they found 3 lesions, not in my brain but on my cervical and thoracic spine, along with optic neuritis. I still cant see color in my left eye and its been 4 months now.
I have been on Rebif since February of this year and have had 2 relapses, they say thats normal for the first few months until the medication really starts working.

Hope this info has been helpful, we are always here to listen and try to help.
Have a cool day
Kt

Old 06-05-2007, 05:08 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

LupieOne HB User

Thank you so much for replying, peace. I can't believe that i have found someone else with such a similiar thing! None of my fellow lupies have ever had such a thing, and I've never come across it in my researching Lupus and fibro all these years, so i was pretty sure it wasn't from Lupus.
Sorry about your MS dx...but I think sometimes, its the NOT knowing that's worse...i went through all that for years of Lupus testing and many docs, etc and finally getting the dx years ago, was almost like a relief because then you know you aren't nuts, its NOT all in your head, and at least a treatment can be started at last.
Thanks again so much for your reply and taking the time to read my long post. I wish you well, hun.
*hugs*
Cathy

Old 06-05-2007, 05:29 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

LupieOne HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMorra View Post
Hi Cathy

I know we just met but I think you need a hug ((Hug))
Some weeks it feels like there is always something new going wrong or just getting weirder doesn't it? I too have the yawn/electric thing, and thought I was the only one. Its very hard to describe and you did a great job. I do get the Lhermettes sign when I tilt my head down, as well as when I'm in the shower and water goes into my ears (weird huh?) The shock goes right down to my fingers and toes.
My feet don't like to mind me very well either, I never know where they are most of the time. Even when I'm stretched out on the couch, I cant feel them enough to be able to tell if my legs are crossed without looking at them. Other times I can be just walking into the house or into work and they just stop and I cant feel them at all. Ive fallen a few times, it makes standing up kind of a challenge at times. This heat has made this happen a lot more often too.
I was just diagnosed in February but have been having neurological problems since 1997 when I lost the hearing completely in my left ear and its never come back. The final diagnosis came when they found 3 lesions, not in my brain but on my cervical and thoracic spine, along with optic neuritis. I still cant see color in my left eye and its been 4 months now.
I have been on Rebif since February of this year and have had 2 relapses, they say thats normal for the first few months until the medication really starts working.

Hope this info has been helpful, we are always here to listen and try to help.
Have a cool day
Kt
Oh wow, KT...you have been more than helpful!! Another person with this strange sx!? I've looked for so long about it and now, it seems I might have the answer. And *HUGS* back to you for all you are going through too!

I get that same thing sometimes with my limbs too!!! Like unless I look or move them, I cna't remember exactly where they are!! Its so weird!! The first time I noticed it, was maybe late last year-I was lying in bed and suddenly realized that I had no idea where my arms were placed!! I actually had to THINK about it and move my arms to figure out that they were across my abdomen! Its happened many times since and I think ya just get use to all the weird stuff after awhile. I found info on it once and I think its something called 'Limb displacement' or something like that. lol
The latest 'weird' one I've noticed is that I find I cna't move certain muscles without trying hard, mostly facial muscles and I noticed it the other night the first time because i was putting lotion on my face, and saw in the mirror that my forhead had a very dry area of skin(good old Sjogrens) and I went to wrinkle my forehead and couldn't do it!!!! I tired several times and really had to concentrate on only doing that before I could wrinkle my own forehead! Of course, now that i noticed it, I try to do it in the mirror now and then and its the same thing. Takes concentration to do a normally simple and usually unconscious thing, as wrinkling your forehead! Its stuff like that that drives me mad because its all just getting worse-especially trying to find words i want to use/say..which is maddening because I'm a poet and lately, creating, writing and typing it is just so hard!! I just had to stop and think of the word 'unconscious' that I used up there because I could not think of it right away. I was always great with words! Now, hubby tells me that sometimes he can't understand me! Even the kids say it too. They say I am mumbling and they can't understand me!!
All I know is something is NOT right and if its not the Lupus or anything else I have, then what the heck is it? Ya know? Its getting scarier and scarier and some days i wonder how much more I can take at this point. Oh and I just burnt dinner before because I totally forgot it was cooking on the stove!! Again! I leave the stove and oven on all the time now and the fam has learned to go check after I'm done cooking now! lol funny-but not. I feel like a 40 year old in a a 90 year old body...and mind.
Thanks again, so much, hun!! you have helped shed some more light on all this for me and I'm so sorry you are dealing with MS. I shall keep you all in my prayers.
*hugs*
Cathy

Last edited by LupieOne; 06-05-2007 at 05:32 PM. Reason: adding something I forgot-no surprise there lol

Old 06-08-2007, 08:02 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

LupieOne HB User

I actually found info on Lhermitte's Sign being triggered by sneezing/coughing!! Its gotta happen to people with yawning too...as we learned from a couple others in this thread! And, I noticed the part below where it mentions the reaching of both arms causing it too...and I have that happen as well soemtimes where it causes the electrical sensations!

Quote:
Lhermitte's Sign
Although not always painful Lhermitte's sign is unpleasant enough to figure among the acutely painful features of MS (Lhermitte et al, 1924). When bending the neck patients experience an electric tingling sensation spreading rapidly down the spine to the legs and sometimes reaching both arms as well. Coughing and sneezing may also trigger Lhermitte's sign.This unpleasant sensation, quite typical for MS, can also be observed in other disorders involving the neck region such as tumor of the spinal cord and malformation. Most often this paroxysmal sensory disorder disappears spontaneously and medical treatment is not necessary. If it persists wearing a neck brace should be considered.
[url]http://www.msif.org/en/symptoms_treatments/ms_by_topic/pain/articles/understanding_pa.html[/url]

about 3/4 of the way down the page.

Old 06-08-2007, 08:08 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

LupieOne HB User

wow...found it again somewhere else!

Quote:
On Dec 20, 1917, Pierre Marie and Chatelin reported an observation to a meeting of the Centers of Military Neurology in Paris. In some patients with head injuries, they described "pins and needles" sensations traveling the spine and limbs on flexion of the head.

Less than a month later, Babinski and Dubois described a patient who had a sensation of an "electric discharge" when flexing the head, sneezing, or coughing. The patients of Pierre Marie and Chatelin had no neurologic deficits, and they assumed that the symptom was caused by pressure on the nerve roots when the head was flexed. The patient of Babinski and Dubois, however, had a hemiplegia from a Brown-Séquard syndrome secondary to a laceration of the spinal cord in the neck on the same side of the body as this peculiar symptom. Thus, they suggested that the symptom was caused by an intramedullary lesion.
http://www.baillement.com/lettres/lhermitte_gutrecht.html

dang...its good to finally find what I've been experiencing...but then again, its not...ya know?

Closed Thread