It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2007, 02:15 AM   #1
(female)

anniebooboo HB User
Weird throat symptoms

New here and not yet diagnosed. Due to have MRI soon, but have lots of symptoms including terrible weakness on right hand side, completely numb middle of back from spine out to right flank and tingling in left foot when I bend my kneck forward, plus crawling feelings on my skin, etc. However, my most annoying weird symptom is a sensation in my throat which feels like sometimes I have an obstacle in my throat and at other times my throat on the right side feels paralysed. I also have shocking reflux. Sometimes I feel like I am either going mad with hypochondia or that I will simply drop dead at the tender age of 38. Has anyone else got throat problems too? The doctor looked really concerned when I told him about the buzzing when I bend my head. Is there any other disease other than MS that gives the L'Hermittes sign? My back has been numb for 12 years with intermittent "burning" but I ignored it and it really has only been the recent weakness that has sent me to the doctors. I have coped with the reflux for 2 years already. That is my story in a nutshell. Can anyone give me any clues as to what might be happening?

Old 06-07-2007, 07:26 AM   #2
(female)

NarLyB HB User
Re: Weird throat symptoms

Welcome to the board and to our weird little world of strange, unexplainable symptoms!

Seriously though, a lot of the symptoms you mentioned, are symptoms I've had. I was dx in 1993 with MS. I've never had problems with reflux, but I do get the weird feeling in my throat that makes me feel like I can't swallow.

Keep in mind that the symptoms of MS can also be symptoms of many other things. When I was dx, I went through a whole battery of tests to rule out several just about everything in a medical encyclopedia (at least I felt that way at the time!).

Extremely frustrating to spend days, if not weeks, feeling like a lab rat , but I realized it was necessary. The doctors have to know what it is so that they can treat it correctly.

Just make sure to tell your doctor about every symptom you have, even if it just seems minor. It may just help them to either dx or rule something out.

There are lots of people on this board that have been through or are currently going through the same thing as you. Everyone is very helpful and supportive and full of information.

There's always an understanding person here to help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2007, 08:56 AM   #3
(female)

mnewhall HB User

annie,

swallowing difficulties has been one of my longest sx's. When swallowing items such as bread, meat (steak), etc. i frequently feel like my esophagus is spasming causing tremendous pain in my upper chest and after a few seconds it eventually releases and the food goes down and the pain goes away. i can breathe when it happens, i just have to stop and let it relax and pass. sometimes i literally CAN NOT swallow and that scares me , but if i get something to drink, my esophagus will work like its supposed to.

another time my esophagus spasms on me is in the middle of the night when i get up thirsty and go to the fridge and get a cold diet soda and begin drinking, my durn throat will constrict and the pressure of the carbonation will actually force it back up. I do not have acid reflux, but do get occasional chest pain like heartburn. also, i get this weird thing after drinking something bubbly, i have to burp, but it comes out crossed between a burp and a hiccup. very weird and funny sounding

i know exactly how you feel about having so many unexplained sx's. i am 40 and have had problems since about 1991-1993 (but really had problems from about age 7). just keep a journal of sx's, be patient, get to your neuro and have a brief list of sx's & keep your appts, plus write down questions you might have. try to relax and realize MS is hard to dx and sometimes it takes years before a dx can be made and the doctors must rule other things out first.

i am undx'd but my neuro is 95% sure its MS. we are in the waiting game. i go back in Nov for another MRI on my brain. All my MRIs have been clear and my LP was clear, but doc said that does not mean that i DON'T have MS. i have fibromyalgia, raynauds, sjogren's, interstitial cystitis, hypothyroidism, etc etc.

welcome to the board and know that you are not alone and many people here can relate to you. stay around, ask questions, and search this board to try and find someone who might have experienced your same problems.

blessings,
michelle

Old 06-07-2007, 12:46 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

lilc HB User

Anniebooboo, I'm replying to a question you asked in another thread, about L'Hermitte's and buzzing.

A couple of years ago I very suddenly developed L'Hermitte's. Over the course of about a month it got VERY bad. The worst part of it was the constant, pulsing vibration in my lower back. At first I kept answering my cell phone, but it wasn't ringing. Eventually I felt as if a cat's purr had taken up residence in my spine. It never caused pain, but it kept me awake at night and made me pretty irritable!

So I started searching the web. You might imagine the things that popped up when I searched for "vibrating sensation in spine" - but it did lead me to L'Hermitte's, and also to this board.

Yes, there are things other than MS that can cause it, but MS is the most common cause. It is also (statistically) relatively common in MS patients.

FYI, my MRIs showed no c-spine lesions, nothing at all wrong with my spine. I only have brain lesions.

Whatever the cause is for you I hope it will encourage you to know that it almost completely went away for me after about 6 months. I do still have L'Hermitte's, but it is so minor I don't notice it unless I specifically check for it by bending my neck forward.

Old 06-07-2007, 02:48 PM   #5
(female)

tiredbunni HB User

Michelle,

I am dx with MS as of 12/06. I read something about your esophagus is in
spams. I had for the longest time (1993) it isn't all the time but happens when I eat food like you it seems to go down but then it feels like it is stuck. I have the worse pain in my chest. It hurts seconds/minute then goes away. Sometimes it has happen with liquids. I never thought about it being related to MS. I never told my doctor because it just was hard to explain. I have GERD but this isn't like that. Thank you for posting that. Now, I know what it is.

Bunni
dx 12/06 RRMS
Avonex, Klonopin, Flexeril, Skelaxin

Old 06-08-2007, 03:59 AM   #6
(female)

mnewhall HB User

Hi Bunni

i am undx'd too, but doc is 95% sure its MS. i have read that some MS patients have swallowing difficulties such as us. definitely mention it to your doc. when i try to explain it, i tell him that it feels like my esophagus spasms and tightens around the food or liquid and then shortly after releases it in a matter of seconds and that it is painful until it releases, all the time while being able to breathe.

what helps me when it happens is, i will sit back and straighten up and breath deeply until it passes.

i also choke on my own saliva that is the craziest thing! HAHA when my co workers hear me start coughing and ask if i'm alright, i just tell them i'm choking on my own spit. i have to be careful eating and chewing because it always goes down the "wrong pipe".

wishing you painfree days,
michelle

Last edited by mnewhall; 06-08-2007 at 04:02 AM.

Old 06-08-2007, 11:12 AM   #7
(female)

OliverBocca HB User

I get the throat closing thing too, usually when the temps are different, like I have a cold drink of soda and then take a bite of something hot or warm. To get the thing to open back up again, I have to "re-equalize" the temperatures by taking abother three drinks of water or whatever it was that I was drinking before. The first two drinks are painful, you really have to force the stuff down, but by drink # three, I am OK again.

It's a pain in the arse, I know, but fotrunately, it's not every time we eat, and if you know what it is (and how to deal with it) it is no scary anymore.

MS is such a freaky disease. (So sorry we all have it!)

Old 06-12-2007, 11:07 AM   #8
(male)

micky b HB User

hi
yes i have trhat throught thing i am not dx yet but its horrible hope all goes well.
regards micky b

Old 06-12-2007, 01:09 PM   #9
(female)

tiredbunni HB User

Hi Michelle,

It is has happened for so many years. It is nice to know what it is and what to do. Unfornately, with my MS dx, I have a goiter on my right thyroid. It is large but not on the outside but on the inside. I been having trouble with swallowing food because of this. I'm not going to know if it is MS. I was suppose to have surgery to removed my right thyroid but put it off until I know if I had MS. Now that I know, I don't want to go through major surgery.
I have hard enough with outpatient surgery. Of course, if things get too bad with swallowing, I will go back to the endo make sure it is thyroid and have it done.

Here's is to you all have pain free days.

Bunni

Old 06-13-2007, 04:31 AM   #10
(female)

anniebooboo HB User

lilC, you mentioned your L'Hermittes as one might imagine a cat purring in your back. That is EXACTLY what my foot sensation feels like. I'm curious whether L'Hermittes is an early symptom of MS or something that shows up when the disease has really taken hold. Were you dx with MS before your buzzing started or did it help confirm a dx? Hope you don't mind the inquisition.

Closed Thread