It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2007, 07:32 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

kdel HB Userkdel HB User
Soma vs. Flexeril

Has anyone taken these and noticed a big difference? I have taken soma in the past and it did make me tired but last night I was given flexeril and today I feel weak and tired still. I don't recall this happening with soma. The flexeril is 10mg. I did take it years ago but it was 5mg. The 10mg. pill is not scored (no line) so does that mean I cannot break it in half? Any help would be great. Thanks.

Old 06-08-2007, 07:48 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

duttin HB Userduttin HB User
Re: Soma vs. Flexeril

Flexeril takes time to adjust to.My understanding soma is addictive vs the flexeril.If its not a capsule then yes you can cut it.You can buy a pill cutter at your pharmacy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2007, 08:09 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kdel HB Userkdel HB User

Hi again and thanks. I also asked the pharmacist about cutting it and he saidthe general rule is that if it's not scored and you split it you are not guaranteed your getting half a dose so I don't know what to do really but this is definitley too strong if you have things to do. He did say though that it's not dangerous as it is not time released. I have just made so many mistakes typing that I've had to go back and fix. I took this pill at 8:00 last night and it's now 11:00am. Shouldn't it have worn off by now?

Old 06-08-2007, 08:41 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sometimes meds effect everyone differently.I could take 30 mgs of flexeril and it not effect me.

Your body will need time to adjust to it.You could also be having a sluggish day.

If its to strong call your DR and ask if he can reduce the pill to 5 mgs.

Try to give it a few days.

Old 06-08-2007, 10:59 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

WHoo HOO! Can hardly wait to try this. I was given a 10 mg script for the drug (Flexeril) on Thursday, picked it up this morning and was going to try it tonight...what the heck, nothing going on that sleeping thru it wont hurt on Saturday! Will let you know how I do on it, just to compare ...
Nikki

Old 06-08-2007, 12:35 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

kdel HB Userkdel HB User

Hey Nikki. woohoo is right. Only problem is my son is having is birthday party on Sunday. I needed the muscle relaxers so I could get stuff done because the spasms were so bad I could hardly walk. Now I still can't get anything done! It did help the spasms though. Now today my heart is doing something, some palpitations BUT I get these anyway sometimes so have no idea if it's related to the meds or not. Please let me know how you do with them.
Kara

Old 06-08-2007, 05:16 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

LupieOne HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSNik View Post
WHoo HOO! Can hardly wait to try this. I was given a 10 mg script for the drug (Flexeril) on Thursday, picked it up this morning and was going to try it tonight...what the heck, nothing going on that sleeping thru it wont hurt on Saturday! Will let you know how I do on it, just to compare ...
Nikki
lol Then I hope you won't mind sleeping the ENTIRE day away, hun! Because that's most likely how it'll effect you. The first day after i took it, I had to leave work that next morning because I was so out of it and almost falling over. I slept for HOURS that day and for days later, till we realized it was the Flexeril making me so messed up then! Its bad stuff!! lol

Old 06-09-2007, 03:26 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

kdel HB Userkdel HB User

Wow, didn't expect so many responses. I took it again last night and it does help the spasms however, I have a headache that feels like a kind of drug hangover. so far I don't feel as bad as yesterday so don't know if it was actually the meds or the fear of taking the meds that caused my symptoms. Also now that the muscles are relaxing I have this sort of clicking all over in the joint areas where I was having the spasms along with some weird sharp pains. I'm thinking this is because I was in spasms for so long that now that things are loosening up my body is confused! I have to say though that after I took it last night my I was more aware of my heartbeat, not beating fast just like I could feel it. Hard to explain, just had to lay down and go to sleep. Sort of like my heart was working hard and it was tired. I'm not explaining this well sorry. maybe I should say slow but harder beats. Does that make sense?

Old 06-09-2007, 07:04 AM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Hi Kdel and others..
I took my first 10 mg flexeril last night...and guess what? I stayed awake about 2 hours after I took it and then BAM. I was sound asleep. I did sleep for about 9 hours straight, and I can honestly say it was the best nights sleep Ive gotten in a month. Today, I woke up with a thick toungue and felt like the sahara...but other than that, no side effects, Im not tired, and I dont feel bad.
Im even going to take the new car out for a spin! Its a gorgeous day here...
I dont know, I read everything I could get my hands on about Flexeril and I didnt find anything that scared me....
Hope this helps you Kdel...
Nikki

Old 06-09-2007, 07:08 AM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

Lupieone
I went in and read that link you posted. It gave the flexeril and overall score of 2.7, which is half good, half bad. Honestly, the only people who gave it bad scores, were the ones trying to take it during the day....taking it at night, I see lots of comments about getting a good night sleep ( me too!) and a few that say they were really dry mouthed (me too) and many that said that they had much relief from this. This is not an addictive drug. I called my doctor and pharmacy to find out. For me, this is the answer to being in so much pain that I cant sleep...I wouldnt take it any other way. My doc specifically prescribed it PRN, not nightly, because he knows I wont take it unless I am REALLY IN PAIN. I dont take anything regularly for pain- I just suffer thru it. OTher than Rebif, Im not on any drugs regularly.
Im sorry it didnt work for you...it definately is helping many.
Nikki

Old 06-09-2007, 07:30 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

kdel HB Userkdel HB User

Thanks Nikki. I'm glad it worked for you too. I slept really good both nights, no bad dreams like others have mentioned, in fact I don't recall any dreams at all. Also did not ever hear that muscle relaxers were addictive. I've used them before and don't recall having a problem stopping them. Actually wait..I was taking soma after surgery for about 1 month twice a day and do remember having trouble falling asleep the first night I stopped but, that's it. I have had flexeril in the past also (lower dose and many years ago) but don't recall any trouble. Now after reading some of these posts I'm a little worried so maybe I shouldn't take it anymore? Oh I don't know, it really helps the spasms.

Old 06-09-2007, 12:55 PM   #12
Facilitator
(female)

kdel,
I am going to continue using this drug! Not everynight, but as needed. I verified again today, with the pharmacist that it is NOT addictive, and the 10 mg pills CAN be CUT IN HALF, even though they are not scored. no time release, etc. So, Im going to use it as needed.

I think that based on what you said, and I experienced, its a good drug- one which help us when we need it. Besides, its been out for over 20 years....and it comes in a generic. Cheap, good, no restless nights, where is the problem?

Oh well, this board is a place where everyone is entitled to an opinion. Although I cant imagine basing a decision on a website that isnt verified..lol. This one is, and with your experience, and my own- Im very happy to telll you that I agree with everything you said and am not overly concerned about using this.

As the day went on today, I started feeling even better. I mean, its hot as heck out there but inside in the A/c IM doing fine...gonna go catch a movie tonight and try to be a "good wife". LOL.
Have a great weekend!
N

Old 06-09-2007, 07:14 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nikki and kdel

I'm glad the flexeril is helping.There's nothing better than a good night spasm free and getting sleep.

Drink plenty of water while on this med,it does seem to cause dry mouth.

Closed Thread