It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2007, 11:34 PM   #1
(female)

froggyfog HB User
Question Dropping Things....

As many of you know I have been posting about my husband, who has a lot of MS symptoms and no dx of it or anything else at this time. We are still having tests ran by the Neuro and Primary doctor.

Tonight we had went out to eat and he picked up a french fry to eat and had a (muscle ?) jerk that made him drop the french fry. The last PCP doc appt we were told it was definitely something neuro going on.

Are there any other disease that would cause this???

Hx: MRI of brain with/without contrast normal, EVP 4.8 with anything greater than 5.0 being abnormal. Spinal tap was negative. His symptoms are double vision(which he has had for many years but is MUCH WORSE),intolerance to heat, numb area on his thigh, aching hands and feet, fatigue, and back pain, Nerve conduction test showed decrease sensory response to arms, doctor noticed left leg is weaker.
I think this is all..... His blood tests have NOT shown anything abnormal.

Is there any other disease we should think about or does it sound like MS and should we push for a MRI of his spine?

Froggyfog

Old 06-10-2007, 05:28 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

bella67 HB User
Re: Dropping Things....

The only other disease I could think of was Parkinson's. But wouldn't that show up on an MRI? Maybe you should run a search on the board and type in that symptoms. Hope you find answers soon!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2007, 07:11 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Parkinsons is very similar. My stepfather was dx was Parkinsons about a year ago. It has gotten to the point where he can no longer pick up anything at all, nor hold his hands steady enough to drink from a class. He no longer drives, and has to sleep in a different bedroom from my mother, because his body shakes all night....its very sad. My stepfather is a CEO of an international company- what this has done to him is just awful.

There are several tests for Parkinsons should you decide to have your husband tested for it...
Good luck with this. Im very sorry you are going thru it....
It might just be a temporary thing, as in a relapse related incident. Keep a close eye on him and document the good days vs. the bad days so you have info to share.

Have you guys been seeing a top notch Neurology doc at a major Neurology clinic? Most Universities have them....if you arent, it might be time to look into it.

Hugs to you.
And Ill keep you in my thoughts.
Nikki

Old 06-10-2007, 07:46 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

bella67 HB User

Sorry to hear about your step dad Nik. The only person I knew of with that was Michael J fox. However, my grandfather always had tremors and "the shakes". He would say it was all from being in WWII, attributing it to shell shock. But he did have trouble with his leg too. He was never dx'ed with parkinson's, but did take meds for the tremors. They also had him taking prendisone as well.

This must be hard on your mom too. It's hard to see someone you love fall victim to any disease, and remembering how capable they used to be.

hugz,

Lisa

Old 06-10-2007, 09:50 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Thanks for the shout Lisa. Yeah, it is incredibly hard on my mom. But, for me too, its been strange. First of all, My stepfather got really bad the same month I was dx with MS- which made me feel bad...secondly, he and I can actually compare certain symptoms, which is weird. Neurologically speaking, there are a few symptoms which mirror each other's diseases. He gets awful in the heat as well as gets really bad twitches and spams, same as me. My stepdad is the best parent I have...believe it or not he is the one I am closest to out of all the parents in my world. (stepmom, real mom, step dad, real dad, inlaws (from hell). LOL. Parkingsons is weird though, unlike MS the prognosis for the future is NOT good.....
I can only pray that they find something to help him live a normal life...at least his mind is 100%, which is more than I can say for my own some days...
HOpe you are doing bettter.
Nikki

Old 06-10-2007, 10:12 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

bella67 HB User

I totally hear ya about the losing the mind!! I just had to give the whole family haircuts, and my younger one with the autism was hysterical, pulling all over the place. I'm lucky I didn't stab him accidentally with the scissors. Unfortunately he can't tolerate the barber or I'd be there in a hot minute. I just finished doing all three and can't feel my left hand.

As for your dad, that's really ashame. Does the meds help him at all?? It's true it does mirror MS closely. That's the first thing I thought of with the other post.

I had to promise Safari land to even get my son to let me touch his head, so now i have to go get dressed and drag myself over to that crazyiness.

ciao for now,

Lisa

Old 06-10-2007, 07:36 PM   #7
(female)

froggyfog HB User

I don't think it is Parkingsons because this is the first time he has dropped anything. His other symptoms have been around longer and are more constant. He doesn't have any tremors. It was more like a spasm jerks. The only other jerks he has is when he is falling alsleep.

I forget to mention in the original post that he also has "electrical sensations" across his chest and down his arms.

Plus has bad pain (lower back) and is taking MS Contin and Percocet.

I am so frustrated tonight(have my own migraine tonight) I almost wish they would admit him to the hospital to do all the tests instead of us doing one at a time then waiting WEEKS to get results only to need another test. I think I am going to call the Neuro doctor tomorrow and tell them he has to come in based on a new symptom this weekend(dropping food).

Froggyfog
sigh...(couldn't find a sad face icon)

Old 06-11-2007, 06:30 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

zandvoort HB User

Froggy Frog-

No help here, just some information. I do not have a dx but I do drop things. I drop the light things, not the heavy things. I cannot seem to judge how tightly to hold onto something. Things like paperclips, forks, samll paper cups full of water (that was fun).

You might want to get more specific about what your husband drops and when.

Good luck and hope that frown will be a smile today.

Old 06-11-2007, 01:06 PM   #9
(female)

OliverBocca HB User

I have dropped spoons, french fries, soup, ketchup, sigh. It's usually when I get a suddent "jolt" from a nerve shock and only I am caught off guard. It comes and goes and usually only when I am stressed out or... sadly... too warm from sitting in the sun. I feel for your hubby.

Old 06-11-2007, 04:24 PM   #10
(female)

froggyfog HB User

Thank you for everyones support! I did call the doctor(Neuro) and they are going to see him Wednesday(Can't believe he's going to get in so soon Yeah!

Tomorrow he has a Discogram(from a Neuro Surgeon) to see if there are any pinched nerves in his lumber region(that is the area he is having the most pain from). Of course that doesn't explain all the other symptoms he is having...but maybe there is more than two things going on.

Since this was the first jerk he has every had that made him drop something...I am not going to think Parkingsons is a chance...that disease really scares me. Not that MS doesn't but I feel we could deal with that dx better.

Thanks again for the thought and prayers!

Froggyfog

Closed Thread