It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2007, 08:34 AM   #1
(male)

micky b HB User
clear mri's

hi folks
does anybody know if you can have mri's that are clear and still have ms
i have had two brain mri's and a c spine scan all clear and my nuro says i dont have ms
any thoughts
ragards micky b

Old 06-12-2007, 08:53 AM   #2
(female)

mnewhall HB User
Re: clear mri's

micky b,

hi . just wanted to share an excerpt from the ms society's web page for diagnosing MS. Clean and clear MRIs do NOT mean that you DON'T have MS. You can read it below. I would get a 2nd opinion based on your sx's you mentioned. Best wishes, michelle

Tests

• Magnetic Resonance Imaging

Laboratory tests may be the crucial element of the diagnosis process. The preferred test, which detects plaques or scarring possibly caused by MS, is magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).

The MRI scan is a diagnostic tool that currently offers the most sensitive non-invasive way of imaging the brain.

Unlike Computerized Tomography (CT) or conventional X-ray, the MRI scan does not use radiation. Instead, it uses magnetism and radio waves. Powerful magnetic fields interact with the hydrogen atoms found in the water contained in all body tissues and fluids. Radio frequency signals cause these hydrogen atoms to release energy, and computers translate the changes into cross-sectional images.

The scanning procedure is very sensitive, and can often create pictures of lesions, or areas of damage, that would be missed by a CT scan.

Although the absence of radiation is an asset, the powerful magnetic field of MRI means that it can't be used by people who have cardiac pacemakers or metal implants, such as aneurysm clips, in their bodies. Dental fillings cause no problem.

An abnormal MRI does not necessarily mean MS. There are other diseases that cause lesions in the brain that look like those caused by MS. There are also spots found in healthy individuals, particularly in older persons, which are not related to any ongoing disease process. These are often called UBOs, for unidentified bright objects.

On the other hand, a normal MRI does not absolutely rule out MS. About 5% of people who are confirmed to have MS on the basis of other criteria, do not show any lesions in the brain on MRI. These people may have lesions in the spinal cord or may have lesions that cannot be detected by MRI.

A clear-cut diagnosis might be made based on an evaluation of symptoms, signs, and the results of an MRI, but additional tests may be ordered as well. These include tests of evoked potential, cerebrospinal fluid, and blood.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2007, 09:39 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bearygood HB UserBearygood HB User

micky, MS causes lesions, not the other way around -- so yes, MS would present itself first. That said, a dx most frequently doesn't occur until there is tangible evidence, either in the form of an MRI that shows lesions (brain, t-spine or c-spine) or other testing like evoked potential, spinal tap, etc. I didn't have to have any other tests than an MRI for dx but others who have can surely give you some more input.

Good luck on your dx journey!

Old 06-12-2007, 08:57 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

duttin HB Userduttin HB User

Micky,

I fall into the 5% that has a clear MRI. BUT I have had several other test that have confirmed my DX.Evoked Potentials,LP,EMG/NCS ,ENG/VNG.

Plus all other diseases and disorders that mimic MS had to be ruled out first.

There;s so much that micics MS and visa versa.

There's many here that are in the same boat as you,limbo-land.

Start by keeping a journal,when symptoms start,what are you doing when they happen and so forth.Get copies of all you test and the MRI result reports.These will benifit you,Drs don't always come straight forth with there patients,plus if you seek further medical advice you'll allready have these med records available for them

Closed Thread