It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2007, 11:50 AM   #1
(male)

WALLEYE HB User
Hot flashes anyone?

any one else have hot flashes while sleeping? and feel like #$^& after waking up with minor hot flashes?
body aches, no energy, wore out.
is this related to the meds or the ms?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2007, 12:22 PM   #2
(female)

NarLyB HB User
Re: Hot flashes anyone?

I have recently started dealing with this also (was dx in 1993).

My neuro doesn't seem to think it has anything to do with MS or any of the meds.

I'll be seeing my GP tomorrow to see if he has any idea.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2007, 12:25 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Hey Walleye-
yup, Ive woken up in a pool of sweat. And, it can be caused by both the disease or meds...are you taking Interferon? Rebif, Avonex or Betaseron? All of those are known for hot flashes...I dont know much about other drugs, but Im sure you can find out if they too, have the same side effect. MS can do weird things to your body temperature...try sleeping under cotton sheets definately do not use anything with polyester in it and of course a cotton blanket vs a heavy blanket will help your body breathe..
Youre not alone.
Nikki

Old 06-13-2007, 12:50 PM   #4
(male)

WALLEYE HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSNik View Post
Hey Walleye-
yup, Ive woken up in a pool of sweat. And, it can be caused by both the disease or meds...are you taking Interferon? Rebif, Avonex or Betaseron? All of those are known for hot flashes...I dont know much about other drugs, but Im sure you can find out if they too, have the same side effect. MS can do weird things to your body temperature...try sleeping under cotton sheets definately do not use anything with polyester in it and of course a cotton blanket vs a heavy blanket will help your body breathe..
Youre not alone.
Nikki
Copaxone.

Old 06-13-2007, 01:38 PM   #5
(female)

KTMorra HB User

HI Walleye

I saw that you are a guy so I guess we can safely rule out menopause here LOL sorry just couldn't resist.
I have been having these types of nights about 3 or 4 times a week since I started Rebif back in February. I have found something that works for me though, it sounds a bit strange but it really does work. If I wake up like a wet sponge I first get into a cool shower, take a couple of ibuprofen, then get an ice pack and put it on the back of my neck or near my shoulders then go right back to sleep. It's hard to predict when they are going to happen but it does seem to coincide with the Rebif shots, I take them 3 x a week. I also make sure my bedroom stays very cool. To the point where my husband has to put on extra blankets.
Another thing, make sure you are staying very well hydrated during the day, all that sweating can make you dehydrated if your not careful.

Hope this helps
Stay cool
Kt

Old 06-13-2007, 01:48 PM   #6
(male)

WALLEYE HB User

Actually this is for my wife. she has no access to the internet so she asked me to look into this. she was dx in may of this year. sorry for the misunderstanding.

Old 06-14-2007, 01:44 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

zandvoort HB User

Hi Walleye and wife-

This happens to me too. No dx yet and no meds. I thought it was early menopause so I am glad you posted this thread. I know it is also a sign of Lyme which I am looking into.

Old 06-15-2007, 08:03 AM   #8
(female)

NarLyB HB User

In the last few days I've been having hot flashes.

Called my neuro, he didn't think it had anything to do with MS or Tysabri. So, I went to my GP who ran a bunch of tests.

The blood tests all came back normal, expect for my estrogen level. It should be around 30. It's 357!!!

And here's the kicker, I had a hysterectomy in 2002. They took everything, including both ovaries. I had severe endometriosis (covering uterus, ovaries, bladder, bowel and started to show on bottom of diaphragm). The doc's were pretty sure that was what kept causing flare-ups of my MS (dx 1993). They must have been right. After the surgery, I felt better than I had in years.

Now we're trying to figure out if my adrenal glands are over-producing estrogen. Which scares me a little. My maternal grandmother died from adrenal cancer. Maybe I need to post a question about that on the cancer board. And, maybe that's what caused my last flare-up.

Anyway, now I understand your frustration with hot flashes. Not fun in any way, shape or form!!

Old 06-16-2007, 06:16 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

lilc HB User

I am 50 and have been "post menopausal" for about a year now. I've been having hot flashes for about 4 years. BUT - prior to the "official" hot flashes I had night sweats for at least 10 years (trust me, there IS a difference!) Never knew why.

I've only had MS dx for about 2 years. I can tell you that the meds I've taken (neurontin, copaxone, provigil, effexor, lexapro) did not have any impact on my hot flashes or night sweats.

Closed Thread