It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2007, 03:56 PM   #1
(female)

MomEof3 HB User
Question Swallowing Difficulties

Ok, I have another question, lol. Does anyone have swallowing problems? If so, what did the Dr say about it? Also could you please tell me what it feels like? Thanks in advance for your replies!

I have been having trouble swallowing since about February 2007. Its not really severe, but enough that it was getting really uncomfortable and scaring me. My symptoms are the sensation of feeling food going down my throat and feeling it get stuck in my chest and it feels like it scapes my insides. Its only occasionally. Sometimes I have to concentrate to swallow water. I was also feeling like I was being strangled almost constantly. I had an upper endoscopy and was diagnosed with esophageal dysmotility (the esophagus isn't contracting right to bring food down). In the report it said that the reason for the dysmotility was unknown. I haven't had a chance to talk to the Dr yet, but have a follow-up tomorrow. He said he wanted to discuss long term management. So I guess that means it isn't going away. He did dilate my esophagus, so its not as bad as it was. I'm just curious to other's experiences. I dont have GERD either. I have been having alot of muscle spasms in the front of my neck too. Maybe throat, but it doesn't make me feel breathless or anything.

Last edited by MomEof3; 06-27-2007 at 03:59 PM. Reason: forgot to add something.

Old 06-27-2007, 07:05 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

LadyAphrodite HB User
Re: Swallowing Difficulties

I haven't been diagnosed with swallowing problems, but there have been a few times in the past year when I have choked and coughed on my own saliva or while drinking water. I remember thinking that I must be having trouble swallowing.

Trouble with swallowing could be caused by weakness in the muscles involved, spasms, or problems coordinating the movements. Obviously your doctor is working on the swallowing problem. I hope they find out soon what is causing it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2007, 04:33 AM   #3
(male)

Purpleball HB User
Re: Swallowing Difficulties

I have very bad difficulties swallowing; I have done for many years.

Whilst I havenít been dx'd with ms (yet), I have had optic neuritis and have a bunch of unwanted lesions in the brain and ms symptoms pointing to the wrong (right) direction.

My symptoms include, food sticking in the chest, low appetite, feeling of fullness, bloating & constant burping (belching). Ive had a couple of recent upper endoscopys and dx'd with swollen esophagus, like yourself. Following that, ive seen a speech therapist (all okay), had a glucose test (negative) and a lactose test (positive). Ive also got a gastric test soon to help determine the cause of the swallowing difficulties. its all taking a long time, but im really not sure and neither are the doctors. i have a feeling in the back of the mind that it could be a food allergy which has triggered the swollowing problem, and maybe triggered the host of other symptoms (ms).

I hope this is something a gastroenterologist can help with; I would be absolutely gutted if my swallowing difficulties were due to a neurological problem.

Closed Thread