It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2007, 08:19 PM   #1
(female)

amga HB User
Question Strange symptoms

I am new to this board and don't typically post to message boards, but I don't know where else to turn. I am a 33 yo female, working mother of a two year old. As a healthcare administrator, I am all too familiar with how difficult it is to find good physicians who care about the patient and limitations imposed by the insurance industry.

Other than suffering from migraines over the past 15 years, I have always been in excellent health. Then, about 1.5 months ago, I got the worst headache I have ever had. It felt nothing like my typical migraine and I had no visual disturbances, light, sound sensitivities, etc. I could not stop throwing up from the pain but eventually got myself to the ER for a shot of toradol. Between the shot and a regimen of oral toradol, I was able to function for awhile. I was referred to a neuro who ordered an MRA to rule out an aneurysm and EEG and put me on Topamax (I'll list tests and results a little later). Anyway, to make a long story short, I ended up in the ER twice in the next two days with severe pain.

Now, over the past two or three weeks, I have been having some weird symptoms that from what I read sound like they could resemble MS. I was wondering if I list them, if anyone could give me their opinion? Also, most things happening are only on one side of my body (ie headaches, pins & needles). I keep calling my neuro who keeps prescribing meds for migraine and tension headaches which provide no relief and the symptoms keep getting worse. I have absolutely no quality of life and am to the point that I can't even take car eof my daughter. I go to work, come home and have to lay down. If my husband is working on weekends, my parents have to come help me to take care of her because there are times that I can't even be up for longer than an hour or two because oft he pain. I want to call my PCP tomorrow to see if he can order more tests or authorize more visits or do something, but I wanted to see if anyone could help, because I am really in the dark. Here is what I have had done so far and the results and my symptoms (note that EVERYTHING is on the left side of my body):

- Bad headache (had been a stabbing pain and felt like my brain was burning on the left side, now it is behind my left eye)
-Pins and needles / numbness in my left arm and leg (I know this can be a side effect of Topamax which I have been on for 6 weeks, but it is only on one side of my body and I didn't think a side effect would differentiate)
-EEG (showed muscle spasms and brain irritation) ~ does anyone know what this could mean? I don't have a follow up appt until 8/24.
-MRA (normal)
-CT (normal)
-Frequent need to urinate (sometimes waking up as much as 4 times during the night- I went to get tested for a UTI this week, the test in the office was negative for UTI but showed a lot of blood, I was mid-cycle, so they said it should not be menstrual, lab results should be back Friday)
-Fatigue
-Itching
-Some confusion

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2007, 08:49 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

duttin HB Userduttin HB User
Re: Strange symptoms

Welcome,

Sorry to hear what you are going through,your neuro sounds like a pain in the hiney.

Yes,you need further evaluation,you should call your PCP since you are getting no where with your neuro.

An MRI with and without contrast would a good start.

You definatly have some neurological deficits that need checked.

Old 07-20-2007, 01:03 PM   #3
(female)

moore170 HB User
Re: Strange symptoms

MS is so hard to dx but you certainly have symptoms that are caused by MS. In my opinion having an MRI both with and without contrast agent is the best diagnostic tool. When I was dx'd there was no hurry as there was no treatment. Now the sooner the better. If you do have MS getting on one of the disease modifying drugs early as possible is very important.
Stay on top of your Dr.'s. You know your body. Wishing you the best.
Candy

Closed Thread