It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2007, 06:18 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

cindys601 HB User
I'M SOOO TIRED!! DOES B12 deficiency cause fatigue?

For the last year I have been having these awful bouts of fatique. I couldn't figure out why. I was tested for sleep apnea and i did have that. I sleep with a sleep ap and the syptoms improved. That was last summer. Again, I am so tired I have to force myself to ever shower and other daily activities. I saw a program on tv about ms and was complety unaware that this was a syptom. I read through some of the messages here and was amazed that all these crazy feeling I have been experiencing are symptoms of ms. 12 years ago, I had a trauma in my family and my left side went numb. I was prescribed antidepressants and my tingling went away. Over the years, it has reappeared and I just assumed it was stress. I've had wrist pain and was given cortizone shots to ease the pain. It went away, but the tingling and numbness come and go. I get this strange burning hot sensation at the base of by back. My gyno says I need to lose wait!! My scalp HURTS so bad. My knees burn when I walk and a flight of stairs just about kills me. I have shooting pains in my toes and fingers and the list goes on. But the most extreme is the fatique. I did call my doctor today but am not even sure what to say!! I don't want to seem like a paranoid fool but these symptoms were all ongoing and I was truly amazed when I read your comments. Coud vitamin B12 be the cause? Where should I begin with my DR?

Old 07-24-2007, 06:55 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: I'M SOOO TIRED!! DOES B12 deficiency cause fatigue?

Wow. First of all, slow down. Your anxiety alone could be causing most of the symptoms you describe. And, NO, IM not calling you crazy...but I am hearing a ton of anxiety in your post.
Yes, deficiency in vitamin B 12 can make you fatigued. I simple blood test will determine if you are deficeint. Where to start? Go see your Primary Doctor and have her do some blood work on you to determine if your thyroid , sugar, and other levels are okay..mention your symptoms to her, but PLEASE do not mention doing any research. Doctors arent happy when you self diagnose.

Because you have a history of having numbness, mention that it is happening again, ask if you should be referred to a neurologist....if you need a referral, try to get one, if you DONT need a referral, try to get a name of a good Neuro in your area nd make an appointment. IT cant hurt..

Your sytmoms are kind of all over the place....dont jump to conclusions on anything. However, I agree with you that further testing might be needed to figure out anything...a Neuro will start with MRIs and possibly some nerve conduction tests to see whats happening and start looking for a direction to pursue.

YOU mentioned that another doc told you that you need to lose weight. I dont know what you weigh, or if this is true, however most of the symptoms you mention COULD be caused by being overweight..the knees, the trouble with the stairs...even toe pain. Not to jump to conclusions, but could this be a part of it? I have never heard of scalp pain being related to weight, or MS....fatigue is a huge part of MS, but truly, its a huge part of almost all neurological diseases...please dont jump on the MS bandwagon based on that.

Having MS, as I do, is a very controllable disease- and not the end of the world, however I just dont think you are describing MS in your post....

You asked where to start, and I would start with some blood work to check you out completely and a good evaluation from your primary care doc....from there, possibly a neurological exam to evaluate the need for further testing..
good luck and hope you feel better.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread