It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2007, 12:17 PM   #1
(female)

AZCAMM HB User
Trouble Talking....

Has anyone had this happen to them ?
I said, "I have a tire in my nail" and I meant to say, "I have a nail in my tire".
I said, "I need a new Batch Wattery" when I meant to say, "I need a new
watch battery". One time I asked, "do you want beggs & eggon" when I
meant to say, "Eggs and Bacon". I sometime put the words in the wrong order. I'd say this has been happening for about a year now.
Any Clues???? Thx

Old 08-19-2007, 08:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

glamour girl HB User
Re: Trouble Talking....

Yes i have this prob. or should i say getting over this.. I had a relapse a little while ago. Hubby said i made no sense when i talked, it got that bad, i was embarrased to talk in front of strangers..in case they thought i am o looney...lol.. I was booked in to see a speech therapist but i've now cancelled it . Seems to me i'm alot better now. I'm not worry about it. I think maybe i was trying to talk too fast.. If you have no other major problems, i wouldn't stress to much about it. Other wise try and see a speech therapist maybe they might help you. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2007, 01:40 AM   #3
(female)

parisiancat HB User

It's called spoonerism (exchanging the first syllable of two words) and it happens to everyone, even people without ms.

MS can affect speech in some people. I also say words in the wrong order and sometimes use the wrong tense. Sometimes I'll think of a sentence in my head and it will come out as just two words that don't really make sense! It doesn't happen often, thankfully. A couple of times a day if I'm tired or have brain fog. Then I could go weeks without it happening if I feel fine. I also sometimes slur my words and have problems with pronunication.

I'm sure my colleagues think I have a secret drinking problem.

I've also noticed recently that my handwriting has deteriorated to being barely legible and I have the same problems when writing as I so with speech. It's strange.

Old 08-20-2007, 08:35 AM   #4
(female)

AZCAMM HB User

thanks to you and glamorgirl for the imput. I've not been dx for ms but keeping on my toes since the deal with my eye pain. I do, however, have some symptoms and I plan on talking to my doc about them at my next visit.
Thanks so much. Good luck to all and have a great week.

Closed Thread