It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2007, 06:28 AM   #1
(female)

mnewhall HB User
Question neurontin for muscle spasms and cramps....

i have read on the ms society website that neurontin can be used for spasticity and my neuro gave me rx for it and i've been leary of taking it. but this past week and weekend I had such painful cramping and spasming in my toes, arches of my feet and my calves that i decided to fill and start taking
it.

has anyone had success with neurontin for your spasms and cramps? i'm due back at the neuro in Nov. i am undx'd at this time, but neuro is 95% sure its MS (limbo land).

he started me on 1 pill-2x's a day for 1st week, then increase to 2 pills-2x's a day for 2nd week and then 2 pills-3x's a day from then on out.

thanks for any replies.

God bless,
michelle

Old 08-28-2007, 07:49 AM   #2
(female)

Hanksmom123 HB User
Re: neurontin for muscle spasms and cramps....

Hi,

I take nuerotin for buring and tingling and it also helped my leg twitches. I didn't have really bad twitches but a few a night and i don't have any anymore. I have had no ill side effects from the meds and they help you sleep really good. I take 1200 mg an hour or two before bed.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2007, 08:29 AM   #3
(female)

mnewhall HB User

Thanks for your reply

my muscles in my legs from the knees down go "non-stop". it feels as if i have snakes moving around in them or something trying to get out. it's worse when i get overheated or stressed. it's not the restless leg syndrome because i have that too and it's different from the constantly moving muscles.

also, they are very toned now and i don't exercise - i wish the rest of my body would do that LOL!

i can watch the muscles in my legs constantly move and some of the muscles that are moving, i can NOT mimic myself.

i'm glad its working for you. did you start on a low dose and work up to the 1200mg a day?

my neuro will have me on only 600mg a day when i build up to the max he wants me to take.

thanks again!

God bless,
michelle

Old 08-28-2007, 10:49 AM   #4
(female)

moore170 HB User

I have not tried neurontin but I do take clonazepam for muscle spasms. I only have to take it at night now but I have taken it during the day. Works for me.

Candy

Old 08-28-2007, 12:12 PM   #5
(female)

Hanksmom123 HB User

Yes i started out at 300mg and gradually moved up as the symptoms would come back after awhile. I think you can take up to 3,000mg so these aren't really high doses. The nuero can up it as needed, so that is good! That stinks you are having such problems! Good luck!

Old 08-28-2007, 12:33 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Hi there. Neurontin isnt safe at more than 1600 mgs a day. 400 mgs administered 4 times a day is the MAXIMUM dose.

Also, Neurontin isnt usually used for muscles. It is primarily a nerve drug used for tingling and burning, not muscle cramps. A muscle relaxer, such as Flexeril is more often prescribed for leg cramps. I have had both drugs prescribed for me. I have serious muscle cramps in my lower legs (especially at night) and I have had tingling, burning in my left hand for over a year now. Let me be the first to say, Neither drug has worked for me.

Its good to say that Im hearing that other people have had luck. After trying Neurontin, Lyrica and a host of other drugs, and then flexeril, and some other muscle relaxers, Im in pain all the time. Ive learned to live with it and not let it get me down..

Michelle, the other thing you should know is that this drug, Neurontin is specifically developed for seizures. IT not only helps control them, but can send you into seizures if you stop taking it abruptly. Should you decide to stop taking it, talk to your doctor first and wean off of it. It also has serious side effects of making you sleep- so if you feel that you are really tired, its the drug, talk to your doctor about adjusting the dosage. Good luck with this, I hope you are one of the lucky ones it helps!
Nikki

Old 08-29-2007, 05:05 AM   #7
(female)

mnewhall HB User
Re: MSNIK - neurontin for muscle spasms and cramps....

thanks Nikki! Oh, good luck today on your 1 year appt.

I had taken Neurontin before and found out the hard way about stopping cold turkey.

i have been on Flexeril for years now for Fibromyalgia, but my muscle jumping and twitching and cramping has worsened over the past 8-10 months.

you are right about tiredness. i am already more tired just with the 200mg a day. i don't know how this is gonna work for me

i was hoping too, it might help my nerve tinglies and "bee stings". we shall see.

appreciate the info and let us know how your appt goes. Best of luck and prayers to you.

God bless,
Michelle

Old 08-29-2007, 05:06 AM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Thanks Michelle. Appreciate the good wishes.
Let me know if Neurontin starts working for you. I have bottles of the stuff from my several attempts at trying it again. Ive never gotten past the point where It made me soo tired, I couldnt go to work. IT never did anything at all for muscle spasms or tingling for me...but hopefully it will kick in and work for you.
Have a great day!
N

Old 08-29-2007, 05:10 AM   #9
(female)

mnewhall HB User

Nikki,

Meant to comment about your chronic pain. I too am ALWAYS in some form of chronic pain. I have so many different autoimmunities of one form or another.

my worst pain is the stabbing pain that can hit me just about anywhere and the pain in my bladder i get from IC (Interstitial Cystitis). i can tolerate my muscle pain pretty good though.

Wishing you some painfree moments. I can totally sympathize with you on pain.

God bless,
michelle

Last edited by mnewhall; 08-29-2007 at 05:11 AM.

Old 08-29-2007, 05:52 AM   #10
(female)

Hanksmom123 HB User

Hi,

Just wanted to say that my nuerologist has said several times that you can take up to 3000mg a day. I take 1200mg already and he says that is a low dose and there is plenty of room to move it up if necessary.

Thanks

Old 08-29-2007, 06:01 AM   #11
(female)

Hanksmom123 HB User

Of course never up your dose unless the Dr. tells you too! Just wanted to add that!!!!!

Old 08-29-2007, 07:41 AM   #12
(female)

mnewhall HB User

Hanksmom123,

Thanks! Yes, my neuro has me on a gradual climb up on my dosage. by week 3 it appears i will only be on 600mg a day b/c i believe these pills are 100mg each (i need to check that).

thank you for your reply

here's to painfree days to all.

God bless,
michelle

Closed Thread