It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2007, 10:18 AM   #1
(female)

oceangirl19 HB User
swallowing problems :(

Hey All,
Just wondering if any of you have had these before. It feels like a cotton ball is stuck in the back of my throat, which disappears when I'm not swallowing. Then reappears when I'm swallowing. It's pretty small when swallowing saliva (therefore do able) and semi-small when swallowing liquids (therefore as long as I do it slowly I'm okay). However, solids and thick liquids are NOT working.... Additionally, I've noticed that it gets worse the more I eat or drink!

Just wondering if anyone else has ever had this problem....I had it and then it went away and now it's back and I'm angry because other than this damn problem I feel great.....grrr....

Rachel

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2007, 11:30 AM   #2
(female)

Hanksmom123 HB User
Re: swallowing problems :(

HI,

When I had my first attack I had swallowing problems with it. I had to go to speech therapy because my mouth had drooped and also i was slurring my speech. The first thing they had me do were swallowing excersises. If you are drinking or eating something and have difficulty swallowing look down and tuck your chin to your neck and it really helps. She also said when I seem to be having problems with this eat wet food and stay away from dry stuff like crackers and dry meat. Add gravy or whatever to make it as moist as possible. It really helps!!!!!!!!!!! Let me know if you have any other questions!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2007, 11:55 AM   #3
(female)

mnewhall HB User

Hi Rachel

I think swallowing difficulties were one of my first sx's. i am undx'd at this time, but neuro 95% sure it's MS.

I know exactly what you are feeling with the cottonball thingy. I think what it is for me when I experience that is that my throat in that area is numb.

my other swallowing difficulties are when I have a really cold drink or eat meats and breads, then my esophagus will actually constrict and keep the food/drink from going down and it is very painful right in the middle of the chest. when this happens I sit back and up straight and just wait for it to subside, then the food slips right down like it's supposed to.

other swallowing problems for me are when I actually CANNOT make myself swallow my saliva - this is scarey for me. when it happens I will grab something to drink and that will kick in the swallowing motion.

you should definitely talk to your doctor about this. hope you can get past this sx.

God bless and best of luck,
michelle

Old 08-29-2007, 02:29 PM   #4
(female)

moore170 HB User

Swallowing problems can be a real pain. One of my neuro's suggested using a straw - it really does help me.
Candy

Closed Thread