It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2007, 10:02 AM   #1
(female)

NCLynn HB User
Cold Feet

Hi,

Does anyone else have a problem with their feet getting cold? I pretty much sit all day, but my feet get cold and the tips of my toes and toenails turn a bluish color. They even get cold when I am in bed and I have to wear footies at night to help keep them warm. I haven't been diagnosed yet, but am wondering if this could be a symptom.

Hugs,

Lynn

Last edited by NCLynn; 09-04-2007 at 10:03 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2007, 10:45 AM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
Re: Cold Feet

My hands experience cold whenever the temperature drops to about 55 degrees F. No problem with the feet yet.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2007, 10:46 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bearygood HB UserBearygood HB User

Lynn, seriously hard to say. I don't think I've ever seen this as a classic symptom of MS but we're all so different that I wouldn't discount anything! I have this too but I've never really thought too much of it. That said, I personaly don't dismiss a circulatory component for some of us with MS -- I can sometimes make my tingling go away by moving the affected area. And actually, in acupuncture, circulatory issues are sometimes addressed for this condition.

Old 09-04-2007, 02:36 PM   #4
(female)

mnewhall HB User

Lynn,

My rheumie dx'd me with Raynaud's which affects the hands, feet, ears and nose tip. Only my hands and feet are affected. Look up Raynaud's. it's an autoimmune disease and you will see "Raynaud's Phenomenon" and "Raynaud's Syndrome".

what happens is there is an abnormal reaction to heat and cold. when the hands and feet are exposed to cold, the blood vessels in them are supposed to gradually start to restrict blood flow, but with Raynaud's they constrict rapidly leaving the digits white/purple/blue and can be painful. When the hands and feet are then exposed to a warmer environment, the blood vessels open too rapidly increasing the bloodflow which makes the digits red, swollen and warm. When my fingers get warm, they start to feel numb and burning at the same time. sometimes I will have 2 fingers freezing cold and 3 will be hot and red.

i hope this helps a bit. check out Raynaud's on any search engine and see if that sheds some light.

God bless my friend,
Michelle

Old 09-04-2007, 05:42 PM   #5
(female)

sallie61 HB User

Hi, I have not been dx yet either, I do have the same thing going on. My fingers also will turn all white and feel like they are frozen, sometimes it is only 2 other times it could be all ten!

Old 09-04-2007, 07:10 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

cindys601 HB User

Hi Lynn~ My feet experience just the opposite. They are always SOOO hot!! I leave my feet outside the covers, when before I would always need them covered. I find myself looking for a cool object to rest them on for relief. My hubbies cold legs work great!! LOL~ Cindy

Old 09-05-2007, 06:27 AM   #7
(female)

Hanksmom123 HB User

Hi,

I have noticed the cold feet thing since i have been diagnosed. It will be 100 degrees outside but my feet are freezing! I wear socks to bed a lot of nights!!!!

Old 09-05-2007, 06:55 AM   #8
(female)

NCLynn HB User

Hi Hanksmom,

Thanks!! My feet feel so cold they hurt! Glad to see another NC person on here.

Hope you have a wonderful and blessed day!

Hugs,

Lynn

Old 09-05-2007, 05:29 PM   #9
(female)

moore170 HB User

My hands and feet are almost always cold. I have been told it symptomatic of people whose MS lesions are concentrated in the brain stem.
Candy

Old 09-05-2007, 09:20 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

glamour girl HB User

My hands and feet always seem to burn with pain cause they get so cold too.. Hmmm maybe it is MS then.. dunno???

Old 09-09-2007, 09:00 PM   #11
(female)

Stacy1403 HB User

I have been diagnosed now going on 4 years. I have occasionally experienced this symptom. My feet often feel cold, however, on occasion I have had the problem with the blue ting to my feet. Mostly in my toes. I find that if I warm them up by rubbing them or while taking a shower the blue does go away. I'm not sure why this happens, but I've never experienced it until MS happened. Hopefully it is not anything to be concerned about. Maybe if it happens often you should ask your doctor.
Good Luck!

Old 09-10-2007, 05:39 AM   #12
(female)

NCLynn HB User

Hi Stacy,

I had asked my neuro when I first started going to him a back in April and he said he didn't know why my feet were cold and the tips of my toes turn blue. He said at that time it wasn't related. I'm still trying to find a diagnosis, so at this point who knows what it is?

Have a wonderful and blessed day!

Hugs,

Lynn

Last edited by NCLynn; 09-10-2007 at 05:39 AM.

Closed Thread