It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2007, 12:10 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User
MS and Mono

When answering my medical history questionaire for my neuro apt., it asked if I had ever had Mono. Is there a link between MS'ers and Mono? Thanks! FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 09-07-2007, 12:16 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: MS and Mono

There has always been a suspicion that viruses, which Mono is, may start the ball rolling towards MS diagnosis years later...however, its never been proven to be seriously connected. If you search on this site, youll find hundreds of posts on MS and Mono as well as Epstein Barr Virus, CMV (cytoMeglia virus) and a few others as well.

These days, doctors are leaning more to auto-immune disease then anything else, you will get asked that question, but whatever your answer, it wont tell your doctor anything conclusively.
Next time someone asks you that, ask why they want to know...Id love to hear the answer.
PS. ive never had any of these viruses, and I have a conclusive MS dx.
Nikki

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2007, 12:34 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSNik View Post
These days, doctors are leaning more to auto-immune disease then anything else, you will get asked that question, but whatever your answer, it wont tell your doctor anything conclusively.
Next time someone asks you that, ask why they want to know...Id love to hear the answer.
PS. ive never had any of these viruses, and I have a conclusive MS dx.
Nikki
That is what I was wondering. Thanks for the reply. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 09-07-2007, 02:24 PM   #4
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLFLOWERGIRL View Post
When answering my medical history questionaire for my neuro apt., it asked if I had ever had Mono. Is there a link between MS'ers and Mono? Thanks! FLFLOWERGIRL
No Mono here. I was never sick until MS. Some doctors suspect links to viral infections during childhood. The real kicker is that they have had nearly 300 years of MS with no resolution. Mono, if in relapse, could mimic Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) or MS. My cousin had CFS for 15 years and then it suddenly -'poof' - it went away.

Old 09-07-2007, 03:29 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bearygood HB UserBearygood HB User

FLOWER, that's a good questionnaire there. It is widely suspected that there could well be a viral component to MS, either in terms of causation or predisposition. EBV is believed to be one of these things -- you can have this even if it doesn't develop into full blown mono. That said, it's hard to prove at this point since the a big majority of the population will test positive for Epstein-Barr.

Other theories abound like bacteria, genetics and it could be a combo of all of these things or just different things in different people. I personally don't believe we all got here the same way.

So much to still find out!

Old 09-07-2007, 06:48 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bearygood--Well, since it was on the questionaire, and yes, I did have Mono in college, I just thought there might be a good reason it was a question. Very interesting answer you gave. Thank you for your reply. FLFLOWERGIRL

Old 09-07-2007, 06:56 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bearygood HB UserBearygood HB User

When I was first dxed and started roaming around these parts, I started a thread on this board asking about Epstein-Barr or perhaps it was mono -- if you search for threads started by me you'll find it -- and I know there were other people who brought it up before me. The answers were very interesting and since that time, I've read a lot more about it. In fact, just today, for some reason I looked up Multiple Sclerosis on ****pedia. You might be interested to take a look -- I thought it had a very good overview and it contains references to a lot of the different theories that abound.

In terms of mono, I had it in my early 20s and since that time, I STILL have a lymph gland that never completely returned to normal. When I'm not feeling well, it becomes a little more swollen than normal and like a hard little knot. Long before I was dxed with MS, I just thought this was strange...but maybe now, it's not so strange...who knows?

Last edited by Bearygood; 09-07-2007 at 06:57 PM.

Closed Thread