It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2007, 07:50 AM   #1
(male)

asianvince HB User
Driving with MS

Hey,

I've have MS for 10 years and I have problems driving. I know there are help out there which makes driving easier but I want something that's mobile and I can put it car to car. Anyone?

Old 11-01-2007, 08:53 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bearygood HB UserBearygood HB User
Re: Driving with MS

Hi, asianvince. I don't know the specific answers but I DO know that these things exist! Bumping this up for you in the hope that someone will be able to provide you with more info. Also, if you call the NMSS, they will probably be able to give you some info. as well.

Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2007, 10:38 AM   #3
(female)

taosdaphne HB User

Yes! I don't have the time to rummage thru tax receipts, but start googling. For about $300 I bought portable hand controls--there's a bar that runs parallel to the seats, and legs that attach to accelerator/brakes. Press the parallel bar to the right to accelerate, to left to brake. They were great, portable, relatively inexpensive. They take some geting used to, but worth the practice in HS parking lot or wherever.

I've had to give up driving, which is a giant hassle in a town w. no taxis, but loved the hand contols while I could still use tthem.

taosdaphne

Old 11-01-2007, 01:36 PM   #4
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianvince View Post
Hey,

I've have MS for 10 years and I have problems driving. I know there are help out there which makes driving easier but I want something that's mobile and I can put it car to car. Anyone?
I had to have hand controls installed in 2002. There are mobile ones available, but mine are fitted (they can be removed and refitted to another car). After having them installed, I had to re-test my driving with them. My license shows my need for them (which allows me to use a spinner on the steering wheel).

If you need to rent a car, the rental agency is suppose to provide the hand controls.

Before I had hand controls, I took a 10 hour driving course for hand controls. The instructor measured and fitted me for the controls, wrote the type and model, and I was able to apply to the insurance company for the installation.

Old 11-01-2007, 06:26 PM   #5
(male)

Mcgow HB User

Colour wheelchairs makes the A-1 hand controls I have them and like them alot. They are made to be quickly installed and removed from any car. I originally bought they to take on a trip and use on a rental and liked them well enough to use them all the time. you can find them online the best price I found was at ALLEGRO home medical supplies

Closed Thread