It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2007, 07:20 PM   #1
(female)

lynn40 HB User
question about muscle spasms

I have a question for anyone experiencing "muscle spasms?" What is meant exactly by this term?

Sometimes I get an almost excruciating pain deep in my thigh. It lasts for a few seconds and then passes. I get that several times a day. Also, if I barely overstretch certain muscles in my side, foot, back it tenses up for a minute or so and then lets up. I do NOT stretch and am not very limber.

I'm wondering if either of these is a muscle spasm or is a muscle spasm something far more severe? Does it hurt a lot? How long, in general, does one last?

Thanks for any info.

Lynn

Old 11-07-2007, 07:26 PM   #2
(female)

lynn40 HB User
Re: question about muscle spasms

P.S.--- I also get these twitches in arm/leg that last a minute or more where it's just twitch, twitch, twitch. Eye has twitched for some time. Are these spasms?

Sorry if these are dumb questions....I just don't understand what one is.

Thanks, Lynn

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2007, 09:29 PM   #3
(female)

Tasia9 HB User

Hi Lynn
I will try and describe to you what my muscle spasms feel like. I usually get spasms in my right leg and they happen involuntarily. I can be laying down or sitting up, or walking when they happen it doesn't seem to matter.
First my muscles tighten for a short period of time and then they relax. This can cause involuntary movements. My husband can testify he has been at the recieving end of my spasms many times while sleeping at night. I have even kicked him right off the bed. He has a good sense of humor though and so we just make light of the situation. It's awkward for me when I am walking on a cross walk and it happens cause I feel like a complete goof. Everyone can see me.
When I have a muscle cramp it is different. I get them ALL the time when I am stretching, swimming or doiing any kind of physical activity. When I get a cramp my toes will curl up and contort into different positions. This is painful and frustrating cause it keeps from doing the things that I like.
When I get twitches, they are fast and fleeting. If I get a twitch in my arm for instance I will get it off and on in the same spot for at least a couple of weeks. Twitches don't hurt me it just feels weird, like a pulsating feeling.
I hope that this helps you. I am on medication for my spasms and I am thankful that they have decreased.
Good luck to you Lynn!
Tasia

Old 11-08-2007, 10:04 AM   #4
(male)

mitch512u HB User

Lynne,
First off, there are no dumb questions here! I have noticed that over the last month or more that I have developed a twitch in my left lower eyelid. It comes and goes. Me, I have twitchy/pulsing feelings in my legs most days now, tend to come on early in the afternoon.
Mitch

Old 11-08-2007, 12:43 PM   #5
(female)

tarapags1107 HB User

Hi lynn-
I get twitches all over my entire body including my eyes and face alot! I believe spasms are different than twitches. I was told that spasms are extremely painful and disruptful whereas twitches are more random and noticeable but not painful. It feels very bizarre when your nose is twitching, let me tell ya! Tara

Old 11-08-2007, 01:41 PM   #6
(female)

lynxgal HB User

Hi Lynn,

I have both spasms and twitches. Areas of my right leg twitch daily and are there from the moment I wake up in the morning.
I also get the odd full finger twitch .... or maybe it is a spasm?

The middle finger on my right hand will twitch inword toward my palm. The neat thing is I can see the whole tendon go from mid arm.

I also get charley horses in my right thigh muscle that is horrid. This one feels like deep burning muscle pain and the muscle won't work for you at all....the kind you get that if it was an injury should last days and days only mine goes away after about 24 hours.

I also get twitching eye lids sometimes. My chin twitches on a daily basis....annoying!

Old 11-09-2007, 02:15 PM   #7
(female)

lynn40 HB User

Thank you SO MUCH for all the answers. I find it so helpful. I appreciate hearing everyone's personal experiences. I will keep an eye on it and see how it goes.

Thanks again for all your help.

Lynn

Old 11-10-2007, 02:08 AM   #8
(female)

janito HB User

Hi there again lynn a little late with a reply but this is my experience with the muscle thing.... My spasm are wierd, can happen any time of day generally when im resting my muscle tightens up like your about to get a cramp and then woosh they jump like my legs will jump up like two inches off the couch, and then relax and its all over.... I also get twitches as ive told you already in my face when i smile the corners of my mouth twitch excessivly my eyelids flicker when i close my eyes, and when i yawn i get shaky?? The twitches in my arms and legs are like baby kicks like theres something in there moving around and totally visable.. thats my deal hope this helps, by the way i am not diagnosed with ms, although I am being taken to hospital on the 19th november for 3 days of testing for MS.
Jan.x.

Old 11-10-2007, 06:37 PM   #9
(female)

seastarr HB User

Hi Lynn,
You might not get back to read this at this late date, but I just thought I'd throw in another experience. Muscle spasms have always been my biggest problem with my MS. Unfortunately, some muscles can spasm continually, meaning they get rock hard and pretty much never let go. They can get to be very painful, in fact, I have one muscle that runs under my shoulder blade that feels like a knife has been stuck in my back (no kidding). This muscle and the other spasms in my upper back become so severe that they dislocate my shoulders, and I have to try and pop them back in place. It is is awful. My neurologist has suggested that I consider Botox injections into the worst ones. Eeek! We will see about that.

I have also had problems with spasms in my lower back and hip that became so severe that I could not stand up, but when my husband lifted me, I would pass out - I guess from the pain? Luckily, the lower back ones have let up since a pregnancy 2 years ago (they almost ALL went away during the pregnancy but relapsed once again after delivery.) I also found that the muscles around my ribcage can become so tight that I could not take a full breath, probably from the lesions in my thoracic spinal region.
Just thought that I would share that sometimes they do not come and go. They can become part of everyday life that you really wish just wasn't there!
I really hope yours never get there!
Best,
Christa

Old 11-12-2007, 07:56 PM   #10
(female)

lynn40 HB User

Christa-

Oh Im so sorry for your pain. That sounds terrible. Luckily for me I am not experiencing anything like that. I get more like twitching and slight cramps. I have not been diagnosed as of yet and am hoping I don't have anything serious.

Thanks for sharing with me. I didn't know spasms could be like that.

Best wishes and I hope your pain eases.

Lynn

Old 11-13-2007, 05:20 PM   #11
(female)

exfn HB User
Talking Re: question about muscle spasms

I get muscle spasms/twitches mostly in my leg. be sitting there minding my own business, and my L leg will jump a couple a times for no particular reason. worse at night-I had thought it was restless leg syndrome for a long time-but now realize that it was the beginning sx of MS. I take Klonipin, and it is much improved. have never had hard spasms, and from the other posts on the board, hope that doesn't happen.
take care
janice

Old 11-15-2007, 08:07 PM   #12
(female)

lynn40 HB User

Janice-

When you say your leg would "jump" do you mean off the ground or just a little movement?

Thanks,
Lynn

Old 12-01-2007, 10:39 AM   #13
(female)

seastarr HB User

Thanks for your kindness, Lynn, I read my post again and boy did I sound like a big complainer! Everyone's MS is so different and frustrating, it is great to speak to people who understand!
Best Wishes,
Christa

Closed Thread