It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2007, 06:07 PM   #1
(male)

asdf HB User
MS and anger/irritability

Hi everyone

I wanted to address MS and irritability, because ever since I was diagnosed half a year ago, I have found myself become increasing irritable and serious. I've always been to some degree irritable like everyone else, but I sometimes feel like it has become more severe. I have become much more confrontational and "real" with people, I now have a low tolerance before I become angry and frustrated.

Does anyone else have similar problems? Is it possible that MS can physically/chemically change someone to become more irritable? If not, maybe its the fact that the person has MS that is making him/her more irritable. I've told myself that I need to be more relaxed and stress-free now...maybe I'm somehow unconsciously making myself feel irritability/anger to relieve that stress and make it go away before it worsens.

Old 11-08-2007, 06:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

cindys601 HB User
Re: MS and anger/irritability

asdf

I, myself get irritated very easily with others as well. I used to let this get to me and be very confrontational and open with my feeling to others. I found when all my sx became worse, this would only add to the problem. Knowing what I know now, that stress is the worste thing for us, I refuse to let others affect me in this way.

This is very difficult to do sometimes, as I know first hand. When I feel a confrontation coming on, I plainly state to the other person that I have other problems in life that I have to worry about and I don't need this added stress from a foolish little issue. As you know, most things in life are small and aren't worth arguing about. This generally makes the other person stop.

Even my kids, who are teanagers and argue all the time, have reacted to this statement and stopped fighting. This remark, for me, tends to calm my nerves. I speak in a very monotone voice and I show no reaction and the situation usually settles down at that point.

Everyone deals in different ways. Maybe for you, get away from the situation. A walk, listen to some music. But remember, you need to take care of YOU because nobody else will.

I'm not sure of why we get irrited or if it is ms related. I'm sure a more educated person will respond to that piece. But I hope you can find a way to lessen the stressful situations when they surface.

Good luck!!

Cindy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-09-2007, 06:40 AM   #3
(male)

mitch512u HB User

asdf,
Yes, the disease itself and not just the knowledge that you have it can cause irritablity, among other issues. MS can and does cause a change in your neural receptors ability to process serotonin. The improper processing of this chemical can lead to depression, which could very easily translate into irritability.

Are you currently taking any disease modifying meds? Some of these may also cause difficulties. Be sure to let your doctors know what is going on! I know that it is very frightening to be newly dx'd, shoot, I cried like a baby on several occasions in the months immediately following my dx.

Keep in mind that you have only been dx'd for about six months now...it takes time to accept the 'unfairness' of our disease. Me, I was dx'd a couple of years ago and I still have trouble accepting it from time to time, which indeed makes me irritable. But as time passes I find that these episodes have become less intense and less frequent.

Please, whatever else you do, be sure to let your Dr know whats going on.

Mitch

The following user gives a hug of support to mitch512u:
abhileo (10-17-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to mitch512u For This Useful Post:
murphylives (02-12-2012)
Old 11-09-2007, 03:47 PM   #4
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf View Post
Hi everyone

I wanted to address MS and irritability, because ever since I was diagnosed half a year ago, I have found myself become increasing irritable and serious. I've always been to some degree irritable like everyone else, but I sometimes feel like it has become more severe. I have become much more confrontational and "real" with people, I now have a low tolerance before I become angry and frustrated.

Does anyone else have similar problems? Is it possible that MS can physically/chemically change someone to become more irritable? If not, maybe its the fact that the person has MS that is making him/her more irritable. I've told myself that I need to be more relaxed and stress-free now...maybe I'm somehow unconsciously making myself feel irritability/anger to relieve that stress and make it go away before it worsens.
The damage to your nervous system and the energy required for the continual repair/attempt to repair, lower your threshold of stress. If I am over-taxed with outside noises, voices, etc., my ability to focus is ruined and irritability increases. I will usually retire to a quiet place to continue the focus of my attention. I will avoid multi-tasking as well as I have found that this can literally suck the energy out of my life.

I call this a trigger. I will specifically avoid a meeting or discussion if I am unable to be able to focus on one issue at a time.

Rest assured, you are not alone in this pain!

Old 11-09-2007, 04:30 PM   #5
(female)

Gagirl610 HB User

Hello everyone,
I have also noticed that I am easily irritated over things. I have noticed when my kids (age 16 and 6) start hollering at each other, it just makes me crazy. I also do not like loud noises. Oh, and what about people driving 40 mph in the left lane. I guess the list could go on and on but I do know exactly what ya'll are talking about. I have noticed I can't tolerate alot of things that used to not really bother me. Take care

Old 11-09-2007, 05:35 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

HI GaGirl. Your post made me smile...just writing to let you know that your not alone! In fact this entire thread seems to ring true with me. Loud noises, loud TVs, loud stereos all seem to irritate me to no end...this didnt used to happen! I also have stepchildren ages 12 and 8 (and a 17 year old whom I adopted)...when the two younger ones fight, I lose my mind! When the oldest screams at her younger brother and sister, I blow a gasket. I dont remember this happening to me a few years back, either...

Ive noticed that I am starting to get a handle on dealing with what is worth getting upset about, and not...Cindy said it best that you really have to remember that you have "more important things to worry about" and refuse to let things get to you. Its not easy, but Im starting to see where it is possible.

I think with MS, we are just constantly in a state of either worrying about "what next" or dealing with whatever "thing" is affecting our bodies at that time...between that (normal stress) and the worlds outside triggers- I think its not UNreasonable that we feel like we are always or easily aggravated. This has been interesting to read about...Im learning more about myself by reading other people's thoughts on this.
Thanks Cyber family!
Nikki

Old 11-09-2007, 10:04 PM   #7
(male)

asdf HB User

Hi everyone me again....thank you all for the responses, you have no idea what it means to me right now to listen to other people about this....

I too have become irritated to loud noises or too much commotion in general...and I feel more direct and confrontational to put an immediate end to it....to the point what I would have called "over-reacting" prior to my diagnosis.

I noticed that I am more confrontational with people I know when they upset me...and I don't really know why I am overly sensitive about it....but I feel this overwhelming angry drive to tell them to stop and just leave me alone (I have actually grown somewhat secluded from people in general, and I do enjoy the silence/peace that makes me feel better). I dont know how to put it to them, and all they see from me is a burst of anger without knowing/understanding what is lying underneath it all. They do leave me alone though...and probably get the impression that there is an imbalance in me. I do know that when I build it up inside instead without saying anything, it gets much worse and I start to feel my symptoms again. I guess at this point in time I would rather have no friend than a friend who doesn't mind pushing my buttons. Anyone feel the same about any of this?

mitch512u your question about meds - I was taking an interferon-beta for a few months before my liver enzymes shot up (along with a horrible constant fever and fatigue)...it took me about the same amount of time for them to go back to normal. I have no intention right now to get back on any, but I am taking turmeric, evening primrose oil, co-q10, omega-3, and garlic which I have to admit feels like it is helping

Last edited by asdf; 11-09-2007 at 10:06 PM.

Old 11-10-2007, 05:07 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

cindys601 HB User

Hi asdf~

I feel everything your saying and understand completely!! It looks like your not alone in this with all the responses you've recieved.

Before I realized something was "wrong" with me, I was anxious and irritable and would snap at people if the pushed my buttons. Loud music, yelling, or alot of commotion around me would stimulate the irritation as well.I play soft music when theres alot of stimulation around and I find this very helpful. It somehow settles my anxiety when things around me are going way to fast.

I work with my elderly parents and this is my biggest battle. They are angry, controling and are miserable to be around. But I have no choice to be there daily with them and I make the best of it and have tried to find coping skills to take care of myself.

When I feel completely frustrated with them, which is daily, I find any excuse to get away imediately!! I know how you feel about keeping things in. With my parents, if I explode, I am putting my financial position at risk because this is my job. So I go to my car and I EXPLODE out there. I say all the things I needed to say to myself out loud and I rant and rave alone (always hoping no one driving by wont see me LOL) This is my vent from them. Because you do nead to get it out!!Sometimes, I call hubby and use him as my venting post.

But, on the other note of this, this is very stressfull to my body and I feel it inside. My choice, if I had it, would be to spend time with people that make you feel good and relaxed.

The people that push your buttons are people you should avoid. If they are people you can discuss this with and explain to them that this is part of your ms and you need to avoid stress, thats good. If they respect that and try to change they're reponses, they are worthy of your friendship. If they do'nt, your right!! Then your better off without that friend!!

Be good to yourself!!

Cindy

Old 11-10-2007, 06:04 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

tuckersmom HB User

Good morning everyone....Asdf, as you have read, there are many of us who can completely understand. I feel this new level of anger is common with many diseases or even life changing events. I would like to say it goes away in time but can't due to my own experience. I can say you learn to feel it coming and learn "escape routes" when you are in a situation you either didn't see happening or can't avoid. Some meds or combo of supplements can make this a little worse.

For myself, I call it my little MS devil and envision this little red-faced demon on my shoulder.. it provides a little humor. When pushed or in a situation that I recognize I need to get out of, a quick comment to someone I am with who I have shared this issue with and you should see the hole people make quickly for me to leave the room ! My husband knows when I say "gotta go" he best get me out or it will be read about in the local paper!

Many people who don't have a daily battle with a condition like ours don't understand and frankly most don't try. I am not sure they can. On a good day, try to explain it to a few and ask for their help to avoid situations that can cause an explosion. These are called your "safe" people or person if there is just one. Try to find one person at least. I have learned who my "trigger" people are and never put myself in a one-on-one position with them. I stay away from them if at all possible. You find out who your real friends are pretty quickly.

I do understand not wanting to be around people when this feeling is so prominent. There are a few bag boys at the grocery who don't realize just how fortunate they are to have lived after putting canned goods on top of my bread!

The people on this board,, well, I can't say enough so I won't try but we are all here and we all have a common theme... take care of yourself... it is the most important thing.

Lisa

Old 11-12-2007, 10:54 AM   #10
(female)

Alexana HB User

Hi asdf

I find I have a lot less tolerance and patience for kvetchy whingers. When someone gets into a mood or a strop for no apparent reason or reacts to something so trivial as to be almost ridiculous, I lose my rag. I always think in those instances 'you're a problem waiting to happen'. Here we, and countless others with painful, obnoxious and pain in the arse conditions to deal with, are struggling to just get through a day and make the best of it when others who are whole and healthy behave like petulant children. Do I get irritable? You betchya

Old 11-12-2007, 10:58 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

cindys601 HB User

Alexana~

I love the way you put that into words!!

Made me smile Thanks!! I needed a smile today myself!!

Have a great day!!

Cindy

Old 11-12-2007, 07:05 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lisa_P HB UserLisa_P HB UserLisa_P HB UserLisa_P HB User

My mother had a stroke just a few months after I was diagnosed and I began to see how both of us-- victims of neuro-disasters-- were overly emotional and more sensitive. It really hasn't gotten a lot better, except that I think both of us tend to brush off the emotions too easily.

Old 11-13-2007, 06:35 AM   #13
(female)

Alexana HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindys601 View Post
Alexana~

I love the way you put that into words!!

Made me smile Thanks!! I needed a smile today myself!!

Have a great day!!

Cindy
LOL, thanks Cindy - glad I could add a smile to your day. I tend to call a spade a spade and not a shovel, not a trait which always endears me to people

Closed Thread