It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2007, 03:54 AM   #1
(female)

janito HB User
Does a high protien level indicate MS??

Does a high protien level indicate MS?? Im getting a little scared now I should not look on the internet for answers to my medical problems....

Last edited by moderator2; 12-11-2007 at 01:12 PM. Reason: please do not post to specific members by name - topics are open to all members

Old 12-11-2007, 01:08 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: msnik

HI Janito. Thanks for the vote of confidence! I am not a medical professional, so I actually had to look up the answer to this for you...but what I found indicates alot more than high protein levels for indicating MS. In fact, high protein levels which are accompanied by muddy colored central spinal fluid can indicate any number of autoimmune diseases, brain infections, syphillus or inflammation of the spinal cord; HOWEVER these need to be evaluated in conjunction with white blood or red blood cells found in the spinal fluid as well as certain antibodies..
In plain english, theres no way that high protein levels alone can tell you anything. It does usually take a week to 2 weeks to get all the results back. What they are looking for is infection; specfically brain infections such as meningitis, along with white blood count and red blood count. You dont want any red blood cells present, you DO want low white count and you do not want blood in the spinal fluid at all....

I know this really doesnt tell you much, but it hopefully will put your mind at ease that simply having high proteins does not necessarily mean MS. PLease let us know when you get your results...and try really hard not to stress over this. I know thats next to impossible, but youve been a regular here for awhile- you know that MS is not a death sentence, and it isnt the worst news you can get....whatever happens, you have plenty of support here! Ill say a prayer for ya that everything turns out good for you..hang in there.
Hugs,
Nikki

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-13-2007, 03:50 AM   #3
(female)

janito HB User
Re: Does a high protien level indicate MS??

Thanks nikki,

Kind words of wisdom, i think i got a wee bit panicky! It seams such a long wait but hey ive been at this a good while now and a few more weeks isnt gonna kill me!! Trying just to focus on the holidays spend some good quality time with the family and just not stress, what will be will be and im certainly not gonna help myself stressing...

Thanks again your advice is always appreciated and happy holidays
Janet.x

Old 12-13-2007, 04:54 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: Does a high protien level indicate MS??

Janet, you said a mouthful in your last post...spend time trying to focus on family, friends, the holidays and anything BUT MS stuff! Its kind of the only way to deal....
youre going to be fine, no matter what. Promise....and when you feel freaked, and youre allowed to, this is a tough time, but when you do, talk to us. Ok?
Hugs,
Nikki

Closed Thread