It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2007, 02:09 PM   #1
(female)

jlbrow7 HB User
What have you found in the way of humor to help you deal with your MS?

On an average to not-so-good day, how do you keep yourself "up"?

Old 12-15-2007, 02:49 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: What have you found in the way of humor to help you deal with your MS?

That depends...if the not so good day is health related, as in a physically not so good day- I wait for Saturday, like today, sleep as long as I can. Get up do as little as I can and NAP the rest of the day! It helps!

If its a painful physical not so good day, I dont have that choice because I work long, hard days...so I usually wind up taking an Aleve for the pain, a Xanax for my nerves and plow thru it! I dont take any prescription pain meds, and have had a prescription for Xanax which I have only filled once in a year, does that tell you how little I use it? But when things get "out of control" I do tend to pop one..

The other side of this is venting...when things seem really bad, sometimes coming on here, writing about it, and listening to both comments, and reading other peoples troubles, help to put mine into perspective. I find this board to be life support! I cant get thru the week without it! Writing (hopefully) helpful info to others also helps me to feel useful.

But then there is humor- like you wrote...watching a funny movie, reading a light novel or even a magazine seems to help- just taking your mind off of it is usually a good thing to do.

We all cope in different ways, should be interesting to read replies to this.

Know your not alone- we all have good and bad days!
Nikki

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2007, 03:14 PM   #3
(female)

jlbrow7 HB User

Thank heavens I'm not in physical pain; "just" mental. Lately, I have had a problem with my eyes so reading is almost impossible at times (like an irregular muscle tremor causing a fluttering - horizontal and vertical - of my eyes).

Listening to talk radio is a big big enjoyment of mine now. Also, it keeps my brain working.

I hope people do post on this question. It would be very interesting to learn how they cope.

Old 12-15-2007, 03:26 PM   #4
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbrow7 View Post
On an average to not-so-good day, how do you keep yourself "up"?
I have my children who depend upon me. I also have my English Mastiff Service Dog who finds a way to cheer me up every day. I suppose if there is humor, I only gotta look in the mirror LOL.

I also have a stock of DVD's I enjoy and I also enjoy reading and computer time.

Old 12-15-2007, 04:10 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

tuckersmom HB User

I look for anything I can. Example, I was outside in one of the flower beds shutting off the water getting ready for winter and my left leg decided it was done holding me up(does that alot) and I fell. Laying flat on my back, I started to cry and just as I did a huge (40 or so) flock of geese went over head heading south and the sun had caught the shine of of their bellies and under their wings and as they flapped their wings in unison it was like little diamonds in the sky. It was beautiful. They were making their honking sound and I began to laugh at myself getting so upset. Had I not fallen, I would have missed it. It was so cool to see them in their perfect dance. I thanked God for that.. I needed it. It reminded me, when I get down.....I need to just look up.

Lisa

Old 12-15-2007, 04:15 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Lisa,
That was a pretty profound thing you said...when we are down, we need to remember to look up. Whether we are religious or not, there is wisdom in that. Sometimes, looking up at the sky, counting the stars, and thinking about how there is a huge world out there, and over 1 million docuemeted cases of MS across that world-- is enough to remind us that we are not alone in this fight.

Wonderful way of looking at things! Im glad you got to see the geese! I always wondered what they looked like from underneathe!

Hugs
Nikki

Old 12-16-2007, 02:50 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

tuckersmom HB User

It's also a good way to find your favorite pen under the end table or find the cob **** and dust bunnies under the sofa! My cat thinks I'm just trying to see it from her perspective I'm sure!

Old 12-16-2007, 08:08 AM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

LOL. Thank you. That made me smile! I have a cat too and she is my baby. Im getting concerned again that this might be her last christmas with me. I cant even imagine whats going to happen when I no longer have this cat around...shes 17. and, my husband hates her...its an interesting thing watching the cat try to win him over and him hate her....its been going on for 5 years, and you'd think by now, the cat would give up...but she doesnt.

Animals rule. If only I could throw a pillow at my husband and make him dissappear under the bed now and then!

Hope you are having a good Sunday...
hugs
N

Old 12-16-2007, 09:46 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

tuckersmom HB User

We were never big cat fans due to their seemingly lack of affection as opposed to dogs but one Sunday morning about a week after the sudden death of my dad, we heard a big commotion in the back yard when we lived in town and we went out to find a small black kitten who had cornered our two dogs (alaskan malamute and a shepherd mix)! She was giving them all sorts of heck!!! I thought how appropriate given the circumstances and feeling like I would never recover and here is this little kitten not afraid of these two dogs....... Since then we have become just as much cat fans as dog fans....

I understand throwing the pillow!!!!! I wish my husband was was independent as a cat at times!

Old 12-16-2007, 03:03 PM   #10
(female)

taosdaphne HB User

For me, it's getting outside, if only to walk around my beautiful compound here. I can't do most of what I did when I was still Nature girl, but I can sit in the glorious sun and snow and admire Taos Mountain, birdwatch (6 new life birds this fall and winter, for you birders!], I can liste to my prtner's laugh,go to concerts, and remember that I am not my disease.

Old 12-17-2007, 12:07 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

duttin HB Userduttin HB User

Answering late,

I have found that humor has been my strong point,I deal with physical pain and meds don't always help.

As a few here know that not only do I have MS,I have had 2 failed back surgeries and now Arachnoidititis a incurable lumbar nerve disease.

I get to laugh at the word arachnoiditis,I litterally ask my DR if I had a bug up my rump,he didn't seem to appreciate the humor.

I wear leg braces,I finally get a wiggle in my walk,never had that before.

I have a very good but rotten practicle jokester of a 16 year old son that keeps me laughing on my bad days.And on my toes.

As bad as my days get,I have it good,because I have been blessed with 4 very caring children,the good Lord has given me the limitations,but he's also given me the strong will to keep going and doing.As this spring I re dry-walled my front room,put wood siding on my garage,done a new front porch,yes it was a struggle.

Do these disease get me down,oh yes they do,but I gotta sit back and regroup and count my blessings and remember what I can do and what I have to offer my family and others that I know.

I get humor in TV,my son of course,family photo's growing up,photo's of my kids growing up and I have 2 newfoundland dogs, a 4 year old and a very large 6 month old pup and they have great personalities.

Its very normal to get down,people with out diseases get down also,but having a disease it seems that many get down,its seeing everything from a new perspective,what once was,was,now there's a whole new way of living and it is just as productive,maybe even more so now.

My diseases don't have control over me,I control them.Having these diseases have made me stronger person.Taking simple things for granted don't happen anymore,through my eyes everything is a blessing.

But humor,helps in all forms.

T

Old 12-17-2007, 12:42 PM   #12
Inactive
(male)

Piano Man HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by duttin View Post
Answering late,

I have found that humor has been my strong point,I deal with physical pain and meds don't always help.

As a few here know that not only do I have MS,I have had 2 failed back surgeries and now Arachnoidititis a incurable lumbar nerve disease.

I get to laugh at the word arachnoiditis,I litterally ask my DR if I had a bug up my rump,he didn't seem to appreciate the humor.

I wear leg braces,I finally get a wiggle in my walk,never had that before.

I have a very good but rotten practicle jokester of a 16 year old son that keeps me laughing on my bad days.And on my toes.

As bad as my days get,I have it good,because I have been blessed with 4 very caring children,the good Lord has given me the limitations,but he's also given me the strong will to keep going and doing.As this spring I re dry-walled my front room,put wood siding on my garage,done a new front porch,yes it was a struggle.

Do these disease get me down,oh yes they do,but I gotta sit back and regroup and count my blessings and remember what I can do and what I have to offer my family and others that I know.

I get humor in TV,my son of course,family photo's growing up,photo's of my kids growing up and I have 2 newfoundland dogs, a 4 year old and a very large 6 month old pup and they have great personalities.

Its very normal to get down,people with out diseases get down also,but having a disease it seems that many get down,its seeing everything from a new perspective,what once was,was,now there's a whole new way of living and it is just as productive,maybe even more so now.

My diseases don't have control over me,I control them.Having these diseases have made me stronger person.Taking simple things for granted don't happen anymore,through my eyes everything is a blessing.

But humor,helps in all forms.

T
You have a wonderful attitude.God bless.I get depressed, at times with my MS but reading your plight shows me that I'm not that bad off.I, too, have a great family that gives me tons of support and love.I can walk.I stumble a bit and get tired easy but I can walk.

Hope you have a fantastic Christmas and new year.You're an inspiration to us all.
PM

Last edited by Piano Man; 12-17-2007 at 12:49 PM.

Old 12-17-2007, 12:42 PM   #13
(female)

sassy8 HB User
Smile Re: What have you found in the way of humor to help you deal with your MS?

When I have days that are trying either mentally or physically. I use humuor. I love to tease people and play jokes on them. My cat Sassy is so funny. She races up and down the stairs as fast as she can. Then she sits on my lap and wants me to pat her. She purrs loudly. She just seems to love me no matter whats going on. My husband and my sons support me laugh at my not so funny jokes. My youngest sister seems to sense when I need a pick up the most. She visits and we joke around and laugh so much it brings tears to our eyes. I forget for a time about my problems

Closed Thread