It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2007, 08:35 PM   #1
(male)

MSDEW HB User
Injection Sites Rebif

Does everyone use all 8 injection sites or do use less ?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2007, 09:35 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Piano Man HB User
Re: Injection Sites Rebif

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSDEW View Post
Does everyone use all 8 injection sites or do use less ?
I only use my stomach and thighs.The butt is a little difficult to access.What are the other 2 sites?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2007, 09:38 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

The 4 sites are the Stomache, Thighs, Inner Arm and rear area....each should be done on both sides of the body, alternating weeks...this gives the body enough time to heal in the injection areas, between shots.
Pianoman, didnt a nurse from Lifelines (the Rebif nurses) come to you to teach you how to do injections? If not, being that you are on Rebif, you are entitled to one coming to your home to show you this. There are easy ways to reach the inner arm and the rear area with the autoinjector!
MSDEW, you might consider giving them a call to talk to them more about skipping the stomache area since you have difficulty in that area...

Old 12-15-2007, 09:41 PM   #4
(male)

MSDEW HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piano Man View Post
I only use my stomach and thighs.The butt is a little difficult to access.What are the other 2 sites?
The other 2 are hips and the back of the arms. I seem to get the worst reaction on the stomach. The nurse insists that I rotate all 8 places.

Old 12-15-2007, 09:43 PM   #5
(male)

MSDEW HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSNik View Post
The 4 sites are the Stomache, Thighs, Inner Arm and rear area....each should be done on both sides of the body, alternating weeks...this gives the body enough time to heal in the injection areas, between shots.
Pianoman, didnt a nurse from Lifelines (the Rebif nurses) come to you to teach you how to do injections? If not, being that you are on Rebif, you are entitled to one coming to your home to show you this. There are easy ways to reach the inner arm and the rear area with the autoinjector!
MSDEW, you might consider giving them a call to talk to them more about skipping the stomache area since you have difficulty in that area...
The nurse is coming to the house on Monday. I will ask her again about skipping the stomach.

Old 12-15-2007, 09:46 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Thats a smart idea. She'll probably tell you its okay. Out of curiosity though, are you using only the autoinjector, or using the syringe as well? Its really easy to use the syringe in the tummy area, and I find it doesnt hurt nearly as much! Are you thin? Im pretty tiny. At about 110lbs, and 5'4, my tummy is still pretty muscular. Sometimes, I think that makes it harder, too. I keep doing it, but I do honestly hate the tummy shots the most.
Good luck when the nurse comes...let us know what she says, ok?
Nikki

Old 12-15-2007, 09:56 PM   #7
(male)

MSDEW HB User

Quote:
Thats a smart idea. She'll probably tell you its okay. Out of curiosity though, are you using only the autoinjector, or using the syringe as well? Its really easy to use the syringe in the tummy area, and I find it doesnt hurt nearly as much! Are you thin? Im pretty tiny. At about 110lbs, and 5'4, my tummy is still pretty muscular. Sometimes, I think that makes it harder, too. I keep doing it, but I do honestly hate the tummy shots the most.
Good luck when the nurse comes...let us know what she says, ok?
Nikki
I use both. My wife when she gives me the shot only uses the syringe. I do use both methods. The syringe seems to much more gentile. I will let you know what the nurse says on Monday. Thanks !

Old 12-15-2007, 09:56 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

Piano Man HB User

Quote:
When she came to teach me I had a bad cold so she taught me how to do it but reccomended that I don't start until my cold subsided.By the time I started I kinda had forgotten.The inner arm soiunds doable and I'm gonna give it a shot(no pun intended).

Last edited by Piano Man; 12-15-2007 at 09:57 PM.

Old 12-17-2007, 06:45 PM   #9
(male)

MSDEW HB User

Saw the nurse today. She said it was ok to rotate 6 spots to inject instead of the 8. I don't like the abdomen. So I'm happy about that. Just an update !

Old 12-17-2007, 06:49 PM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

MSDEW- very good. I figured she would say it was okay...but IM glad you asked!
PianoMan, the inner arm is a good spot, however make sure you are doing it underneathe the bicept, where the skin hangs down....by pressing your arm up against a chair, or the back of the couch you can force that piece of skin to hang loose under the arm and have a good injection spot! The only problem is pinching it, to get to it...for this, I use the autoinjector and just basically aim and shoot! Good luck.
Nikki

Old 12-18-2007, 09:14 AM   #11
(female)

murph154 HB User

hmmm, the nurse showed me the outer arm, but the inner arm seems like it'd be easier to get the fat & not the muscle. the first time i did my right arm myself i think i went into the muscle & had major stomach cramps that night. not sure if it was related, but it hasn't happened since.

i, too, hate that tummy shot!!! it STINGS!!!!!

I start the full 44mcg's dose tonight - wish me luck!!! i'm a little nervous. i've had no side effects so far, but i fear that is about to change. i made sure my house was clean yesterday (well, the cleaning lady did most of it!!) and also did a ton of baking last night. figured i probably wouldn't feel like doing it tonight!!!

take care, everyone!

erin

Old 12-18-2007, 09:50 AM   #12
(male)

MSDEW HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by murph15402 View Post
hmmm, the nurse showed me the outer arm, but the inner arm seems like it'd be easier to get the fat & not the muscle. the first time i did my right arm myself i think i went into the muscle & had major stomach cramps that night. not sure if it was related, but it hasn't happened since.

i, too, hate that tummy shot!!! it STINGS!!!!!

I start the full 44mcg's dose tonight - wish me luck!!! i'm a little nervous. i've had no side effects so far, but i fear that is about to change. i made sure my house was clean yesterday (well, the cleaning lady did most of it!!) and also did a ton of baking last night. figured i probably wouldn't feel like doing it tonight!!!

take care, everyone!

You will be fine, just remember to take the Aleve. I seem to have the effects if any the next day. Take care and good luck !
erin

Old 12-18-2007, 10:33 AM   #13
Facilitator
(female)

Hey Erin, how did it go? I never have effects the next day..when I did have them, they kicked in about 2 hours after the injection and hung around 4-8 hours...but the Aleve really did stop me from having any side effects at all..

As for the arm injection. If you are holiding up your right arm, stretched to the side- the skin which hangs down under the bicept, on the upper part above the elbow, is where Im talking about injecting...there is "fat pockets" there, even on the tiniest of people- and thats an easy spot to inject...I find that if I bend my arm and push it up against the back of a chair while sitting down, I can expose that area to where its really easy to use the autoinjector...does that make sense?

Anyway, hope your shot went well...let us know!
Nikki

Old 12-19-2007, 09:32 AM   #14
(female)

murph154 HB User

Nikki - much to my surprise, last night went really well!!!! i took 2 aleve at about 630, did my shot around 715 (after my 2-yr old went to bed) and went to bed at about 930. I had a headache and was really hot once i got into bed, but that was about it. I woke up this morning feeling fine.

What a RELIEF!!!!!! I hope it continues. I am going to try taking just 1 aleve & see how i do. I hate taking 2 each time!

Thanks for your support!!!!

Erin

Old 12-19-2007, 04:31 PM   #15
Facilitator
(female)

HI Ya Erin. GOOD FOR YOU! Im happy that things went better for you. Just a note, even though you can take 2 aleve, youre not supposed to. The company suggests that you take only 1, and if you have to take another to wait an hour or so between the pills....and you dont want to mess up your stomache by taking too many. The good news is, even if you have to take 2 of them, you are only doing this 3 times a week...overuse of Aleve is usually taking more than 6 pills a day! So, youre safe.
Keep up the strong spirits and good work..within another month or two, your body will be used to this drug and you wont have to take anything at all...promise!
Hugs
Nikki

Last edited by MSNik; 12-19-2007 at 04:31 PM.

Closed Thread