It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2007, 06:24 PM   #1
(male)

ninjawarrior HB User
sometime when i turn my head i get like a shock feeling and a burning sensation

sometime when i turn my head i get like a shock feeling and a burning sensation

Old 12-22-2007, 08:15 PM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
Re: sometime when i turn my head i get like a shock feeling and a burning sensation

Have you been diagnosed with MS? Nerve damage can present with a variety of symptoms.
Have you visited with a neurologist?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-23-2007, 12:41 AM   #3
(male)

Anthony666 HB User
Re: sometime when i turn my head i get like a shock feeling and a burning sensation

Could be Lhermitte's sign.

Thought I had It, But I get funny sensations without moving my neck.

Last edited by Anthony666; 12-23-2007 at 12:41 AM.

Old 12-23-2007, 06:20 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

You are describing Lhermitte's syndrome perfectly. It is pretty random. It might happen for a few days and then go away on its own. It usually does...if it persists constantly and doesnt ever stop, I would see an Orthopedic doc because it would then be a spinal or neck injury...
However, if you have MS or think you have MS, then I would stick to Lhermitte's syndrome...dont worry, its a normal MS thing!

Old 12-23-2007, 10:09 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Snoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB User

L'Hermittes has been mentioned as a cause - that's possible but difficult to say with your description.

L'Hermittes is not exclusive to MS. There are a few other things that can cause L'Hermittes.

L'Hermittes: Bending your head down and feeling shocks and/or vibrations/buzzing from the spine down. Some feel it through their arms others down the legs.

If you have MS L'Hermittes is caused by a lesion(s) in the cervical spine

Last edited by Snoopy61; 12-24-2007 at 04:35 AM.

Old 12-24-2007, 04:39 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Snoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSNik View Post
if it persists constantly and doesnt ever stop, I would see an Orthopedic doc because it would then be a spinal or neck injury...
If someone has L'Hermittes due to MS it won't necessarily go away, L'Hermittes can be a permanent symptom for some.

Old 12-24-2007, 07:48 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Permanent, yes- but it lasts for only seconds and comes and goes...its not an ongoing pain which heat or icing can make go away. I thought I was experincing L'hermittes for almost a year, I was even told thats what it was by my Neuro. My last MRI picked up a cervical issue, which I have been going to PT for, for about 2 months now...interestingly enough, the pain has subsided and the shock like feeling I was describing has completely left my body.

What threw me off, is my neuro kept saying it was L'Hermittes, and it really did feel like it was, from what I have read about it, however it NEVER stopped. I had the pain when I drove, when I sat on the couch, when I was trying to sleep...I was crying in pain for the better part of the year and taking muscle relaxers which sometimes helped, but sometimes didnt. I found out that it was not L"Hermittes and was definately something cervical. Which is a huge relief. My thoughts are that if it comes and goes, even for a few hours or minutes, its not L'Hermittes, and potentially signs of something more along the lines of an injury....however, you are right- if it is L'Hermittes it may happen for the rest of one's life- I just dont see it happening round the clock 24-7....could be wrong. I am not a doctor.

Either way, thanks for the additional info.
Happy hOlidays to you.

Old 12-24-2007, 08:09 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nikki, I'm very sorry about your experience. It sounds like you were in quite a bit of pain. I am glad you have found out what is wrong and PT is helping.

Nikki, I have had L'Hermittes for 21 years. Some days it's more noticeable than others but it's always there. My L'Hermittes will increase in intensity when I have an exacerbation. I have numerous cervical spine lesions.

L'Hermittes, for many, is not painful just extremely annoying. Some will have pain w/L'Hermittes but it's not real common. L'Hermittes for me: Vibrations from mid spine all the way down to my feet.

As I said earlier: L'Hermittes is not exclusive to MS.

Old 12-24-2007, 06:30 PM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

You are right about that, its not specific to MS. I have read articles where L'hermittes is caused by numerous things and has other names...sometimes called the barber chair phenomenon and things as simple as a B-12 deficiency as well as disc herniation can cause it as well as numerous other diseases.

I am sorry for you that you have to deal with this more than occasionally. Its got to be annoying, at best. My PT is helping in general, but unless I go every other day, it starts to hurt again. I havent been good about getting there this week, and Im noticing the pain coming back ...next week, I start back fulltime to PT.

Snoopy, you have alot going on, and you are a wealth of information. Thank you for sharing it with me.
Happy holidays.
Nikki

Old 12-24-2007, 07:38 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSNik View Post
I am sorry for you that you have to deal with this more than occasionally. Its got to be annoying, at best. My PT is helping in general, but unless I go every other day, it starts to hurt again. I havent been good about getting there this week, and Im noticing the pain coming back ...next week, I start back fulltime to PT.

Snoopy, you have alot going on, and you are a wealth of information. Thank you for sharing it with me.
Happy holidays.
Nikki
Thank you Nikki.

Please do not feel sorry for me - I don't feel sorry for myself, it is what it is. I have had MS a long time and I do pretty darn good.

Happy Holidays, Nikki

Closed Thread