It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2008, 02:31 PM   #1
(female)

mistymauigirl HB User
ms with cervical stenosis is this real!

I have been going through the health care system merry go round of you have this that and this.
While the brain MRI showed demylenization the neck MRI showed cervical stenosis has anyone else had this type of diagnosis and what is the prognosis.
I an presenting "classic MS symptoms along with classic stenosis symptoms as well. anyone else out there this mixed up?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2008, 02:44 PM   #2
(female)

taosdaphne HB User
Re: ms with cervical stenosis is this real!

Yes, possible to have both. How old are you? Stenosis tends to come to older folks, but I know some fairly young people with it. It's pretty common. When I had back surgery they tried to straighten out as much of the thoracic and lumbar stenosis, and did a good job. I do have cervical (is that the right word? Neck area) bit it's mild, and I also have a bulging disk, but it's not pressing on anything or causing pain, so we're ignoring it for the moment.

I'd concentrate on the MS but keep up with what's going on in the C-spine.Stenosis *can* be serious, esp. if nerves are being presed on, but pretty much it isn't.

Daphne

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2008, 03:54 PM   #3
(female)

mistymauigirl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosdaphne View Post
Yes, possible to have both. How old are you? Stenosis tends to come to older folks, but I know some fairly young people with it. It's pretty common. When I had back surgery they tried to straighten out as much of the thoracic and lumbar stenosis, and did a good job. I do have cervical (is that the right word? Neck area) bit it's mild, and I also have a bulging disk, but it's not pressing on anything or causing pain, so we're ignoring it for the moment.

I'd concentrate on the MS but keep up with what's going on in the C-spine.Stenosis *can* be serious, esp. if nerves are being presed on, but pretty much it isn't.

Daphne
I am only 58 and the stenosis seems to be rather severe. The caveat to all this I am one of those fortunate Americans without any heath insurance and because of excess absenteeism am now unemployed as well! So it is pretty obvious no MD wants to have anything to do with me. I have lost bladder control and at times cannot walk at all! When I am able to walk it is always with a cane or a walker. This is especially a blow to someone who is a marathoner and and avid surfer. All this has taken place in the last 2-3 months. My hope is a miracle from God afterall He is the great physician and if it is his will that I be healed it will happen!

Old 01-06-2008, 04:47 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Hi, how do you know your stenosis is severe? Is it because of pain, or because you have seen an orthopedic or neuro surgeon and have been told this?
I have both MS and cervical stenosis, I didnt even know I had the stenosis until my MRI showed it...my Neurologist sent me to an Orthopedic Surgeon who told me to start PT for this...I did, and it helped considerably. I drive in sales for a living, spend 8 hours a day in and out of a car...I was coming home in agony from the pain in my left neck area which everyone said was "MS pain". I was grateful to find out it wasnt..

Stenosis is a closing of the area, or pressing on the nerve...sometimes, PT can help. There are exercises which take the pressure off the area. You should really try to find a clinic or something to see if you can learn these exercises. But, again, how do you know how severe it is? Ive got family members who were told the same thing, recived cortisone shots, another one recieved a spinal block, both helped tremendously.
Good luck, feel better soon.

Old 01-07-2008, 06:42 AM   #5
(female)

cyprian1 HB User
Question Re: ms with cervical stenosis is this real!

Hi - i have been dx'd with MS going into my 7th year .. and i am confused .. i have disc problems in both my cervical spine and my lumbar spine .. and am planning to ask the neuro to do a full MRI from tip of head to thru my hips ... my brother had just suggested this the other day ...

so i will be better equipped to post info .. but this is an interesting post , and i will ask about it when i see my neuro .. thanks

Old 01-07-2008, 02:34 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Disc problems and stenosis are not the same thing, although you can have one or both going on...
Definately talk to your doctor about being MRId, however stenosis usually (but not always) appears in the C spine area...

Old 01-07-2008, 05:33 PM   #7
(male)

Braveheart07 HB User

Hey Guys--

I have much of the aforementioned concerns----I have cervical stenosis, with moderate cord compression. I have 1 herniated disc(c5-6), and one bulging disc(c6-7)...I have weakness on my left side, loss of dexterity in my hand, and balance problems when I walk..legs feel very heavy, like I'm walking in waist deep water.....My brain MRI showed no evidence of MS, I had 2 EMG's---the 2nd one showed mild denervation....I am worried about ALS, MS, and anyother type of neuromuscular disease. It seems that the Doc's just want to wait and see how this progresses. In the mean time, I feel like I'm slowly getting worse....I've spoken to 4 Neurosurgeons, and 3 wanted to operate---the 4th said the MRI's don't match the symptoms closely enough for him to feel comfortable operating. We are all different, and MRI's don't always match exactly....there are bone spurs, and calcifications that aren't always seen on MRI/CT scan..... I understand everyone's frustration. It's hard to stay positive....but I do.......I'll get to the bottom of this...I'm sure everyone will figure their situations out too..
I hope everyone feels better....AND NEVER GIVE UP HOPE !!!!!
Doug

Last edited by Braveheart07; 01-07-2008 at 05:41 PM.

Old 01-07-2008, 06:30 PM   #8
(female)

cyprian1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by the hittman View Post
Hey Guys--

I have much of the aforementioned concerns----I have cervical stenosis, with moderate cord compression. I have 1 herniated disc(c5-6), and one bulging disc(c6-7)...I have weakness on my left side, loss of dexterity in my hand, and balance problems when I walk..legs feel very heavy, like I'm walking in waist deep water.....My brain MRI showed no evidence of MS, I had 2 EMG's---the 2nd one showed mild denervation....I am worried about ALS, MS, and anyother type of neuromuscular disease. It seems that the Doc's just want to wait and see how this progresses. In the mean time, I feel like I'm slowly getting worse....I've spoken to 4 Neurosurgeons, and 3 wanted to operate---the 4th said the MRI's don't match the symptoms closely enough for him to feel comfortable operating. We are all different, and MRI's don't always match exactly....there are bone spurs, and calcifications that aren't always seen on MRI/CT scan..... I understand everyone's frustration. It's hard to stay positive....but I do.......I'll get to the bottom of this...I'm sure everyone will figure their situations out too..
I hope everyone feels better....AND NEVER GIVE UP HOPE !!!!!
Doug

thank you for the great post .. it is so true that no two people will have all the same symptoms as the next .. and keeping as positive a outlook is important, i too , hope everyone is able to explore here and gleen what they feel is pertinent to them .. i chose to ask questions, lots and lots of questions , and i do plan to post some here that i find may be helpful, and i say the same hittman .. this is only a situation and there are always solutions if we talk about it, and help each other , yes we'll get there .. keep on smilin'

Closed Thread