It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2008, 08:29 PM   #1
(female)

Morag63 HB User
Unhappy Why can't we have a universal badge to wear? I HAVE MS!!!!

Hi everyone. Today and yesterday have been a bad days. Lots of tears. Feeling weepy. I am in two minds as to whether I should leave my part time job, due to feeling like an idiot because I have invisible symptoms that people can't see. I am not stupid or an idiot because I can't remember how to open the safe at work or add lists of figures. Feeling stupid is my least favourite emotion. I have a cognitive and memory problem. I hate it that most of the symptoms of this disease are invisible. We look normal, we're not falling over, so we must be ok. MS is so cruel. Having relapsing remitting MS is difficult. No, you tell people, my MS is remission again, but I get little symptoms. Of course they just look at you in disbelief. I serious think a universal badge saying "I HAVE MS" is required. Anyway, end of vent. Thanks for reading. Morag xxxx

Old 02-15-2008, 08:50 PM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User
Re: Why can't we have a universal badge to wear? I HAVE MS!!!!

I can well understand your frustrations. I have a Service Dog. He is my badge and opens conversations. It is a difficult decision to make. I do not know the laws in New Zealand. My brother manages a company and one of the secretaries has RRMS. The company allows her to miss work during her relapses and maintains her employment and insurance. I would hope that if you want to continue to work, you should be able to continue.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2008, 09:07 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

I can understand your frustrations too. I had one of those days myself...

However, why not, instead of wearing a badge and explaining to people that you have MS; try to use this board, and/or any means of support to vent to?

I have one of the most demanding jobs I know of- and im on the road 99% of the time, juggling over 300 accounts- I always have MS issues - but instead of having people look at me funny- I blame it on being tired, or overworked. I never tell people its because of my MS because truthfully, Id rather not share that with strangers. Im not sugggesting that it isnt your right and/or that you are wrong to talk to the people at work, but have you thought about the fact that if they are looking at you funny, and not asking what they can do to make things better for you- they arent your friends or your support system?
I dont expect much from the world these days- call me cynical- but I know where to turn for help and support and its right here on this board!

Being made to feel stuid is the single most awful emotion one can have...I do feel for you...but sometimes, its better to be around people who dont judge who do understand and who are there to "have your back" when things arent going well. I really hope tomorrow is a better day for you.

Old 02-16-2008, 04:53 AM   #4
(female)

Pens'nChalk HB User

Hi Morag,
Jayhawk and MSNik have given you good responses - they are faithful companions of many of us here.
"Cog-fog", as I've seen it referred to here, is very threatening to all of us who are trying so hard to continue working in whatever job we hold. A few friends at work know about the MS, but I don't talk about those erratic moments of confusion or weakness that occur at work - I just keep doing the best I can, taking extra steps to double check my accuracy, saying prayers of thanks for my successful days, and praying sometimes to ask for the continued strength to do things the harder, but better, way. I'm a teacher, and feel blessed to be given the strength that allows me to help my kids. Stay strong, and say thanks often!

Last edited by Pens'nChalk; 02-16-2008 at 04:55 AM.

Closed Thread