It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2008, 02:23 PM   #1
(female)

May76 HB User
Please help me interpret....

For the past couple of months, I have had nerve pain and some tingling. My doctor sent me for an MRI to check for Chiari and MS. I received my report today (have not spoken to NS). It says:

Scatterd subcortical punctate foci of T2 signal hyperintensity are seen withing the cerebral hemispheres bilaterally, greater on the right. No abnormal enhancement is seen.

The impression is: A few scattered nonspecific white matter changes filling none of the mcDonald criteria for MS.

Should I be overly concerned? I am 31, and not sure why I'd have white matter changes on there.

Old 02-18-2008, 04:28 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: Please help me interpret....

You should be CELEBRATING not concerned! Congrats, at this point in time you DO NOT Have MS and more than likely dont have Chiari either.

The impression is: A few scattered nonspecific white matter changes filling none of the mcDonald criteria for MS. This basically rules out MS. Without meeting McDonald Criteria, no one is going to say or lean towards MS at this time..No abnormal enhancement is seenmeans that they did your MRI with and without contrast...and that with the contrast, nothing 'glowed" meaning nothing is active at this time...in an MS patient, if something is glowing, its usually because new symptoms are developing and/or the patient is in relapse mode. Scatterd subcortical punctate foci of T2 signal hyperintensity are seen withing the cerebral hemispheres bilaterally, greater on the right. The T2 signal is the type of MRI which was done, the weight of the machine- the way it was set up to do the test...technical and not important (also standard in an MRI for the brain), scattered subcortical foci could be anything...probably and more than likely NOTHING. White matter, can show up from a previous head trauma- a car accident, a hit on the head when you were a kid- even migranes can leave white matter on the brain.
Seriously, you should NOT be concerned...you SHOULD follow up with the doctor who sent you for this and keep a copy of the films and report in case you ever need to have another one done (For comparison value) and go celebrate.
hugs
Nikki

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2008, 05:00 PM   #3
(female)

May76 HB User

Thank you so much for the response! The report said that they saw no evidence of a Chiari malformation, but that I do have some decreased systolic CSF flow in a couple regions. The radiologist called it "of indeterminate significance given no anatomic abnormality." So at this time, I'll keep praying for that is okay. Thanks again for taking the time to share your knowledge with me

Last edited by May76; 02-18-2008 at 05:01 PM.

Old 02-18-2008, 06:02 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Youre very welcome! The decreased CFS flow can be and probabaly is nothing more than Stenosis of the spine....I have it, thousands of people have it..it can happen normally with age. It simply means a tightening or thinnnig in the area where the CSF goes thru..it doenst necessarily mean anything to worrry about. Keep us posted...and again, congrats!

Old 02-19-2008, 04:55 AM   #5
(female)

May76 HB User

Thanks so much! Unfortunately, the flow study they did for me was of the brain. My areas of decreased flow were around the Foramen of Magendie. I know they said I have spinal stenosis - not sure if that can cause decreased CSF in brain areas, or if it would just show blockage in the spinal column? Thanks so much for all your help

Old 02-19-2008, 05:20 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

THe stenosis can cause CSF slowdown in the brain, simply because of the thickening of the spinal cord. The area which you indicate, is above the spinal column!
Its going to be fine...let us know what happens.

Old 02-19-2008, 05:45 AM   #7
(female)

May76 HB User

Thanks so much for all your help! I truly do appreciate it

Closed Thread