It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2008, 01:59 PM   #1
(female)

kbjr HB User
cervical mri ms

Hi, I went to a neuro who said I have possible ms.. I just had a cervical mri today. After they were done with the mri, they said they didn't need to do the contrast. Now why would that be? Twice the asked me during the mri if I had a neck accident, which I haven't. It just seems strange that they wouldn't do the contrast just to make sure. Maybe there was something pretty evident that they don't need to do more? anyone out ther have any idea? Thanks!!!!:

Old 02-22-2008, 02:42 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: cervical mri ms

Did they do a brain MRI? Thats usually where they start for MS...
But, a cervial spine MRI isnt ruled out, either. Not doing contrast is usualy because it wasnt ordered that way. You do know that contrast helps them to see smaller, or active lesions- which wont show up without it, right? Thats the point of contrast being injected..
Why they didnt do it, could only be one of two reasons- your doctor didnt order it that way, OR the tech/radiologist who was looking at it, saw absolutely nothing MS related, but possibly saw some stenosis or something which MIGHT indicate a previous injury- thus the questions about whether you had an injury before....
Stenosis, is something which comes up ALL THE TIME on MRIs of the spine- it can be serious, or it can be nothing. It is common in MS, but it is also something that can happen normally as we age. Im 41 and have stenosis of the spine....overall its nothing...

If I were you, Id sit tight until you see the doctor who ordered this and ask HIM why it wasnt done, and if you feel that strongly about it, have him order it again, with and without. BUt, if MS is suspected, definately have a brain scan with and without contrast...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2008, 05:24 PM   #3
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

When I had my MRI in 2002, my brain scan did not require contrast because the lesions were easily read. The active lesions were located on my cervical MRI and spine. They used contrast then and the active lesions "lit up".

Old 02-23-2008, 10:23 AM   #4
(female)

Nuthatch HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSJayhawk View Post
When I had my MRI in 2002, my brain scan did not require contrast because the lesions were easily read. The active lesions were located on my cervical MRI and spine. They used contrast then and the active lesions "lit up".
Jayhawk or anybody, do active lesions mean you're having a flare up? Do they always stay "active" looking, as in the "glow look"?

I guess I'm getting more concerned now because I'm getting a c-spine MRI, and just found out that MS is twice as likely to show up there than anywhere else.

kbjr, that doesn't sound right. If the doctor ordered the MRI with contrast, I do believe it should have been done.

Old 02-23-2008, 11:17 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Hi ya Nuthatch. Yup. When the contrast is injected, if the lesions glow, then it usually means a new flare up, or new symtoms occuring...however, its not always the case. You can be having a flareup or new symtoms which are too small to see on a CT scan and they wont show up as glowing on the contrasted MRI....however, its a real good place for radiologists and neuros to start. Obviously, if things are "glowing" something needs to be explored further.
Hope that helps?
Nikki

Old 02-23-2008, 11:53 AM   #6
(female)

Nuthatch HB User

It sure does, Nikki. Thanks for explaining.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:03 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bearygood HB UserBearygood HB User
Lesions Lighting Up

A radiologist recently told me that lesions can also light up (with contrast) during the remyelination process. So, to further confuse us all, it seems that being "active" is not always necessarily a bad thing. However, it seems reasonable that this would more be the case if it happens with a lesion that's appeared previously and sx are not present. (Another question for the doctor! )

Closed Thread