It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2008, 03:36 PM   #1
(female)

Gyrlwriter HB User
A few questions - input welcome

Hello all. Thanks in advance for you input. First, some background: Had an issue in Jan (left leg, arm and side of face went numb), suspect CT scan, few lesions on MRI, all other tests okay. Since episode, had some electrical shock-like feelings in body, pain around ribcage, issues closing hand/grippin, tingly sensation in legs and feet. Temporary - very temporary - vision issue. Neuro told me we gotta wait and see...another set of MRIs set for May.

Here are my questions:

-Does anyone notice that their legs are just dead in the morning? Mine feel numb, like lead and it takes me a few moments to do so. But, once I get do, I am fine.

-My neuro wants to do some shock therapy testing. Anyone had this?

-I am constantly fatigued and am not sure why. Anyone else experiencing extreme fatigue (i.e. sleep 10 hrs and need a nap two hours after that).

-If I sit for too long I get serious pins and needles. When I had these in the past, they'd go away after a few moments. It take about ten minutes for the pins and needles to dissipate. Any explanations?

Just wanted to get some input from you guys. You are always very helpful.

Old 03-04-2008, 03:59 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: A few questions - input welcome

HI there. Im going to go out on a limb and venture to guess that this isnt MS you are describing....reason being; its too general. MS is alot more spread out with too many symtoms to list and no two people ever experience the same ones...
Fatigue is DEFINATELY a MS thing...however, it is also a Lyme thing, a Fibro thing, A chronic fatigue symtom as well as a Mono and CMV viral thing....see what I mean?
Shock Therapy is used for psychological conditions usually..do you mean evoked potential testing? That is done with a shock to the nerves, however its usually done on the hands, legs, fingers and toes....sounds more likely then having your brain shocked..(you dont sound like youre in need of that!)
If that is what your doctor is thinking of doing, Evoked Potentials are commonly used to test the nerves in different parts of the body...it can be helpful in ruling out MS or dx MS, but also and more commonly picks up things like Carpal Tunnel and pinched nerves.
The heavy limbs...that was one of the things which threw me. Most of us MSers expereince that ALL THE TIME. It doesnt usually fade away in a few minutes or an hour; although as stated before, all of us are different, so its possible that someone will say Im wrong, that they only get this in the AM and it goes away...personally, I have muscle spasms and a feeling of lead weights in both my legs 24-7.
Lastly, my input on pins and needles is again, this doesnt sound like MS pain. It DOES sound more like Fibro....MS pins and needles are more of a tingling and burning..I experience it all the time in my left hand...it was my initial onset of symptoms and what led to my MS dx...it doesnt ever go away, and it never feels like a foot which falls asleep...this is intense pain. In the case of why it happens, its usually a nerve thing, and in the case of MS, the nerve Myelin Sheath is being destroyed, so its usually alot more painful and longer lasting than you are describing...but again, anything is possible.
Sound like your Neuro knows what he is doing. ITs normal to repeat MRIs every 6 months to a year right up until you are dx, and longer if you start MS meds...(thats really the only way to see if they are working). In the meantime, try not to worry about your symtoms. If it was MS ( or is MS) you learn to live with all of them and count your blessings on the days you feel better than others; since MS doesnt go away, focusing now on the "what ifs" isnt healthy and wont do you any good..
But, chin up, you sound like youre doing well overall.
Nikki

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2008, 04:14 PM   #3
(female)

Gyrlwriter HB User

MsNik...thanks for your post.

the shock therapy WOULD be on my legs, toes, etc...not my brain! sorry for confusing you by using an incorrect term.

The leg numbness does last all day...it just seems much worse in the morning. As I type, they are numb/feel like lead. But, to me, it is more noticeable in the a.m., after waking.

That said, it sucks to have to wait to see what is going on.

Also, the roaring in my ears is driving me nuts.

Old 03-04-2008, 05:32 PM   #4
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrlwriter View Post

-Does anyone notice that their legs are just dead in the morning? Mine feel numb, like lead and it takes me a few moments to do so. But, once I get do, I am fine.

-My neuro wants to do some shock therapy testing. Anyone had this?

-I am constantly fatigued and am not sure why. Anyone else experiencing extreme fatigue (i.e. sleep 10 hrs and need a nap two hours after that).

-If I sit for too long I get serious pins and needles. When I had these in the past, they'd go away after a few moments. It take about ten minutes for the pins and needles to dissipate. Any explanations?
My last shock therapy happened long ago when I ran into the electric fence. That was an electrifying moment

My legs are often "dead" in the morning. It can take me 2-3 hours to shift from low gear to second gear (3rd, 4th, and 5th gear no longer work ).

Your fatigue is familiar. I constantly run through cycles of fatigue. I simply rest and use my powerchair more.

The pins and needles, for me, have been controlled (90%) with the use of my Synergy Seating in my powerchair and a wooden rocking chair.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:28 PM   #5
(female)

Gyrlwriter HB User

very funny.

The leg numbness, today, has actually gone on all day at the same level of uncomfortability. Usually, it subsides to being a simple annoyance. Today it is frustrating.

Sigh.

Anyone know if my electric blanket could have caused the turn of events? Just bought it, used it for the first time last night. Read heat can aggravate symptoms (but, again, still waiting for diagnosis. Body just went haywire in January.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSJayhawk View Post
My last shock therapy happened long ago when I ran into the electric fence. That was an electrifying moment

My legs are often "dead" in the morning. It can take me 2-3 hours to shift from low gear to second gear (3rd, 4th, and 5th gear no longer work ).

Your fatigue is familiar. I constantly run through cycles of fatigue. I simply rest and use my powerchair more.

The pins and needles, for me, have been controlled (90&#37 with the use of my Synergy Seating in my powerchair and a wooden rocking chair.

Last edited by Gyrlwriter; 03-04-2008 at 07:29 PM.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:40 PM   #6
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

You might experience problems with excess heat as it can cause flare-ups. I usually sleep with layers and spend the night shedding clothes or putting them back on. You might try adjusting the heat to the lowest setting. I wear socks nowadays as that is the coldest part of my lower body. If my feet are warm, I can generally sleep.

Old 03-05-2008, 03:59 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Take the electric blanket back, or give it to a needy soul...you definately DO NOT want an electric blanket anywhere near your body! My husband came up with the brilliant idea to put one on our bed this winter, only to "heat up the bed' and to turn it off before getting into bed...i spent three days on the couch.
As Jayhawk stated, intense heat will cause flareups and the most common is heat will cause things to go numb, tingle and even cause cognitive issues...baths are not recommended, hottubs are definately out- tepid showers are good, and I usually finish mine off with making the water cooler and cooler until its almost cold (which is good for the hair, but does tend to take some time to get used to) just because as soon as I get out of the shower and turn on my blow dryer (my hair is really long) I start freaking out from the heat....

yes, you might have brought this one on yourself without knowing it...especially now that the waether is near breaking into spring you need to start adjusting your body temp accordingly...even when you are cold- wear socks. Sleep in cotton nightgowns or tshirts, things that both breathe and can be easily removed....youll start finding out what works for you.

Good luck.
Nikki

Old 03-05-2008, 08:14 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nenu HB User

I keep reading about warm or hot baths being out of the question for those suffering with MS. I absolutely loved lying in a warm bath and reading a book! Was my relaxation point Guess I'll have to move the library to the bedroom .

Old 03-05-2008, 08:47 PM   #9
(female)

Gyrlwriter HB User

I love hot weather (am originally from the south) and just bloom in summer.
What will this mean for me?
And I do love a hot shower...but I do notice I get weak in the legs after about three minutes.
Sigh.

Old 03-06-2008, 04:34 AM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

If you have MS, you will no longer LOVE hot weather. I grew up in a beach area and spent my entire childhood outside in 90+ degree weather. (Hence Im not one of those who got MS from lack of vitamin D). However, as MS hits, it affects the nerves and the brain, and hot weather, hot water, hot in general is no longer tolerated.
My first symtoms were getting out of the shower and feeling dizzy, weak and disoriented. I found that in June when it was 80+ outside and I took a hot shower, I would dry off, start blow drying my hair and then find myself on the floor- or else laying across my bed not knowing how I got there...it seemed the only thing that helped was getting back into the shower and taking a cool one and slowly lowering my body temp.
Im also a traveler. We go Island Hopping as often as our budget will allow! My first vacation in Jamaica right before my dx, I spent the entire vacation in the room. The heat was intense, It was May in Jamaica and about 95 degrees, but even the pool and ocean were warm. I couldnt handle it. I needed the a/c on continuously or I was not only nasty to be around, but was completely disoriented and scared! By the way, I still vacation yearly and I do go to warm places, but we now schedule our trips in March and October, when the weather is more accomodating. Im going to Mexico in 3 weeks- the average temps where we are going during that time are only 80 degrees and I know for a fact that I can sit my lounge chair IN THE POOL on a step, thus keeping my bum and my feet in the water. Ill be fine with that plan!

You asked what this means for you. I havent met a single person yet who has MS who can handle and like the hot weather any longer- but there might be someone who will tell me Im wrong. IN the meantime, it doesnt mean anything to you. Youll continue doing things outside, only youll wear a cooling vest if necessary. Wear a hat which can get wet and holds ice packs (I have a great one which is real Indiana Jones looking- I soak it in ice water and it says cold for up to 6 hours and looks adorable) You take breaks when necessary and find shade to be in when you need to...you also drink a heck of alot of water and try to stay hydrated. As for the hot showers, they are bad for you anyway! You learn to keep them tepid...baths, jacuzzies and hot tubs are out completely. You wont want to risk sitting in that hot of water and not being able to get out by yourself....these things bring on relapses. Its not funny to subject yourself to something which in the end might knock you out of comission for a full week or more...but, the type of relapses that heat brings on dont do permenant damage- its all reversable as long as you dont keep doing it over and over. Cooling off, jumping into a cold swimming pool- or taking a cold shower will instantly lower the body temp, thus warding off any evil effects....just dont overheat continuously, because eventually the damage will be an issue.
Relx, this is something that you learn to deal with, just like the fatigue and taking meds (or supplements). You have to adjust your world to work with MS, it doesnt have to "have" you!

Closed Thread