It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2008, 02:50 AM   #1
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Accupuncture

well, after months of hearing it, Ive finally decided to break down and try it again. Ive had accupucture before, with absoutely no success, but im trying to write that off as the provider who did it, didnt do it well.

I was given the name of someone (thanks Bearygood) a while back who is supposedly very good and finally broke down to make an appt. I go this morning. Im excited and nervous. I know what to expect, but the idea that if someone can help me with pain managment without me having to take pills is almost too good to be true. Ive lived with my parastasia for over a year, almost 2 years now, and at times, like yesterday- its too much to deal with. I sit and hold my bad hand with an ice bag on it, wondering if it will ever be "right" again. My Neuro says doubtful.

On top of that, ive developed some pretty intense pain in my shoulder from stenosis- and exercising is making it worse. PT didnt work- and the last resort is gong to be steroid shots in the muscle...so, before I go that route, Its off to the accupuncturist to get his opinion...

Wish me well? This really is my last resort befrore trying the steroid injections...which im trying to avoid.

will let you know my findings...
Nikki

Old 03-07-2008, 02:57 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nenu HB User
Re: Accupuncture

My chiropractor, who I have been visiting for nearly a year now, does acupuncture as part of his routine visits. He uses needles for areas that do not involve the face, for the face he has an acutens unit he uses. I can tell you this much. When I get out of his office, I feel like a million bucks. Best money spent hands down.

I do hope that your experience with acupuncture is as promising as the results I have experienced myself

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2008, 04:37 AM   #3
(female)

tarapags1107 HB User

hey nikki,
I don't know much about accupuncture, but I wish you the best of luck with your shoulder and hand problems. Are you talking about cortizone (steroid) injections for your shoulder? This one can go either way. I've meant alot of people who swear by them and others that it doesn't even touch the pain. If it is cortizone, I know that you can only have so many injections per year too (since it can brake down the bone and such). I hope it works out for you. Its always good to be given a name from someone whos gone there and had a good outcome. Try to keep an open mind for now, there are alot of holistic approaches to medicine out there that are proven to work. Take care.
Tara

Old 03-07-2008, 04:45 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Hi Tara. I honestly dont know if its cortisone or not they are discussing...my Neuro just hit me with this "possibility" last week and told me to think about it. He referred to it as "steroid shots" which of course COULD be cortisone- but it could also be solumedrol, ive heard of them injecting both. My guess is it is cortisone. Im told its very painful while doing the injection.

I hate to go that route. I dont even like to go on steroids for MS related stuff- but the pain IS that intense...so Im trying the accupuncture now, with hopes that I can skip the shots altogether. Wel'll see. I will keep you posted, im off to my first appt in the next hour..
Hugs and happy days!
N

Old 03-07-2008, 06:05 AM   #5
(female)

parisiancat HB User

Hi Nikki,

Good luck with the accupuncture. I

've also been thinking about it for a while but haven't yet actually made an appointment.

Some of what I've read suggests that it can take a few go's before you feel an improvement. Others (as stated here) feel better immediately. Just something to bear in mind. Maybe results are dependent on individual cases?

I look forward to hearing how you get on. I hope it gives you some pain releif.

Cat

Old 03-07-2008, 02:53 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Hi Ya Cat- how ya been?
Okay, so I went. I really liked the guy and he seems to have great credentials..it was interesting, he spent alot of time talking to me about MS and symptoms but he also addressed how much of my hand pain MIGHT be coming from the radial nerve, which somehow is accessed thru the spine..thats where I have stenosis and alot of pain..
SO I let him do his thing...he is under the theory that you should "hit it hard" and go every day for the first 3 days...and then, if there is some improvement, start going every 3 days, and eventually down to once a week- I told him to prove to me what he could do today and we'd talk.

He needled me in the toes, which is supposed to work on the back pain, and again in the wrist of my bad hand...to try to work on those nerves. We talked about nerve stimulation- and the potential of trying that next time...and with that he left me for 15 minutes. Ive had accupuncture before, so I knew what to expect; however this wasnt the relaxing type of accupuncture I was expecting- instead I felt very keyed up and on edge..
BUT
when he returnd and removed the needles, my back felt great. Its been about 8 hours now and it still feels 75% better than it did when I woke up this morning..my hand, unfortunately feels the same...there might be a reason for that, I tend to always hurt worse in humidity and when it rains..today, it is POURING where I live...im not suprised it hurts so bad- more like dissappointed.
HOWEVER
Im going back tomororw morning and again Monday morning..by that time, I should have more of a chance to see if this is working, or if it was just a fluke..the guy is good, but Im still not 100% convinced that this will really help long term. We shall see- Im trying to keep an open mind and really let it work if its going to. Heaven knows Ive tried everything else short of cortisone injections and surgery!
By the way, he is also a board certified Chiro- he WILL NOT and DOESNT recommend Chiro care for MS patients. Interesting.

Hugs to all..
nikki

Old 03-07-2008, 03:07 PM   #7
(female)

ShelleyTab HB User

Nik,

Glad to hear it may be helping! As I said before, it is something I heard about and am starting to consider. Keep me posted on your progress and I wish you the best
-Shell

Old 03-07-2008, 03:47 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

tuckersmom HB User

Nikki- I hope this does help. I will be interested to see. I have also had 2 different chiros tell me they won't touch a patient with MS. They both cited that manipulation can cause nerves to freak out and cause a flare ups. ?

Old 03-07-2008, 04:28 PM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

Hi Lisa, he kind of alluded to the same thing. I know weve had disucssions on this board about pros and cons of Chiro- and some people have had luck with it..but this guy strikes me as pretty legit and board certified to boot. If he wont touch me and had similar reasons- then I cant imagine it would be a good idea to let anyone "manipulate you" while knowing you have MS....

Its interesting to me that he was able to pick up so much about my pain. I purposely "forgot' the MRI so that he wouldnt have a clue what I was dealing with. I wanted him to really tell me where and why my pain was coming from, and he did. He also managed to pinpoint (no pun intended) what makes it better and worse..
We'll see. I am taking my MRI and report to show him tomorrorw because he "earned it" in my book. Im tough, arent I??
LOL
Keep ya posted and have a great night.
Nikki

Old 03-07-2008, 05:08 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bearygood HB UserBearygood HB User

I find it interesting that he said that about chriropractic as well -- I wasn't adjusted but saw my chrio right after I was dxed and he was pretty defensive about its ability to help MS.

Nikki, that's great that you went. I think you know I haven't met him but my sister thinks he's terrific. That's a good sign that he picked up on stuff without knowing too much and what he told you about coming a few times at first is very much in keeping with how mine works each time we've worked on a new ailment. As far as relaxing, a lot of it is about just breathing and kind of "giving in"...you'll get there. My guy has an amazing and light touch but there are times it does hurt when he hits a "hot spot"! But again, when this happens, just try to focus and breathe into the spot when you're on the table.

I look forward to hearing more about your visits and don't forget to drink plenty of water!!

Old 03-07-2008, 05:43 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Okay, I am officially confused. I just spoke to my sister and she said that Orrest is not a chiropractor -- maybe I misunderstood and you went to someone else? In any event, I'm glad it was a good visit!

Old 03-07-2008, 07:26 PM   #12
Facilitator
(female)

Hi Bearygood. thanks for the tip on water, that wasnt mentioned to me- although I do drink quite a bit of bottled water all day long on my travels, gotta stay hydrated with Rebif especially..
The guy you gave me, Orrest, has a wait time for new patients of over 4 months. I had tried calling before Christmas and was told that, and when I made up my mind to do this, I found out the wait time is still that long. I dont have the patience....duh. I should have made the appt last November! Anyway, I spoke to him at length...he gave me the name of a guy who he trained and refers to...Dr. Orrest was really great. I wish I could have seen him- but maybe one day I will...anyway, the guy he referred me to was equally as knowledgeable and they work the "same way" and have had the same training...
So sorry if I confused you- I did publically thank you for the recommendation but didnt qualify it with the details...now, you have them.

Meanwhile, Ill take your advice and work on breathing and relaxing....this guy did tell me that some people have differnt reactions to Accupuncture- while it relaxes some, it stresses others out..I went in there really UP and left slightly less UP, but hardly relaxed...I go again in the morning and maybe Ill relax even more...whatever it takes, if it works, Im all for giving it a few more sessions..
Ill keep you posted, and again, sorry for the confusion..this actually worked out better though- my insurance actually takes this place BECAUSE it is a chiro practice as well...so, they are covering up to 20 visits....not a bad deal at all!
Hope you are well..
Nikki

Old 03-09-2008, 09:18 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ah, mystery solved! That's great that your insurance covers it, Niki!! Let us know how your next appointment went (and the others) and also, I would like to hear more about this chiropractor's reasoning for not treating people with MS!

Old 03-09-2008, 09:22 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine149 HB User

glad you are seeing results. i've been undergoing acupuncture for 4 years (maybe 5?) myself and have had good results. it sounds like your practioner is comprehensive which is excellent. my only caution for people with MS and acupuncture is that the practioner can not use treatments that are typical. they must employ an atypical treatment because a "direct" treatment can truly aggravate symptoms and not alleviate them for MS patients. I've also experienced something that can be typical and that's that after about 10 treatments, you might have a treatment that hurts, every needle you will feel and it will not be comfortable at all. many people drop treatments when they experience this but stick with it, it is truly a turning point and you see great results if you can endure a couple uncomfortable ones,

best of luck!

Old 03-09-2008, 09:28 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine makes a good point. There are different types of acupuncture. My first introduction to it was at a spa many years ago and when I found an acupuncturist in NY to follow up, he did the "stick 'em in and pull 'em out" technique! Obviously, I don't know what this is called technically! I know that there are other less obvious differences in techniques as well but whatever technique the guy I go to now uses, it's a gentle insertion and then relaxing on the table to allow it to work technique!

Closed Thread