It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Multiple Sclerosis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2008, 05:58 PM   #1
(female)

May76 HB User
Thoracic Spine

I just had an MRI done of my thoracic spine. Doc is testing for ALL sorts of things due to random pain. At the end of the MRI, the person doing the test said that he needed to take an extra set. That worried me. He sent me home with the disk, but no report.

I noticed that on the last couple of pictures, there is an arrow pointing to the T7 disk, with a big X over it (not the side by the spinal fluid/cord - the other side). One pic has the C2 with an arrow (no X), T1 with an arrow (no X), and then the T7 with the arrow and a big X. I'm worried about that.

First - has anyone ever seen this?
Second - Are MS lesions common in the thoracic spine?

TIA!

Old 03-13-2008, 06:29 PM   #2
(female)

vonnag HB User
Re: Thoracic Spine

Hello

Not an expert by any means. I have heard that 90% if the liesions show up on the brain. I believe they can show up anywhere on spine though, just not as common.

I had mri of all three parts of the spine just a few weeks ago. They did find an active liesion on my spine, the middle of the spine, I don't know what the medical term for that part of the spine is.

Let us know what you find out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2008, 07:25 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Snoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by May76 View Post
First - has anyone ever seen this?
Second - Are MS lesions common in the thoracic spine?
MS is a disease of the Central Nervous System (CNS) which includes the brain, optic nerve and spine. Lesions can show up in any or all of those places.

As far as the marking the tech did on the MRI - I don't know, at my appoinment with my neuro he has been known to mark lesions as he is going over the MRI with me.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:36 PM   #4
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

While most lesions are in the brain, lesions can, as others have already stated, present in the spine and optic nerve. When I was diagnosed with PPMS in 2002, the MRI could clearly see the masses of scars from my previous battles, but the active lesions, at that time, were located on my spine and in an undetermined area affecting my eyes.

MS has a few textbook cases and a myriad of non-textbook cases. Your doctor was excellent in moving down your spine in search of active lesions. I had to tell my doctor to keep looking when I was in LA. The KU-Med MS Clinic went right to work and zeroed in on the problem.

Old 03-14-2008, 05:23 AM   #5
(female)

Barbbelle HB User

Hi TIA!
First, yes I have seen what you are talking about. The checks and X's are ways that the Technologists can 'count' and mark the films to make it easier for the drs to read the films more accurately. Possibly the last scan that he/she took was a scan that was from the bottom of your brain to the bottom of the spinal cord. This is normal protocol for scanning the T-spine. When you get a copy of the report, look to see if there is a statement concerning T7 (where the X is). C1 and T1 are checked and that is where the dr can count from.
Second, I have more plaques in my thoracic spine than the cervical and I have no lesions in my brain. My primary problem is difficulty walking. Most people have brain lesions with some having spinal cord involvement.
I hope this helps you. Have a great day, Ok?
Barb

Closed Thread